1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this. The retro fan in me loves this sort of 'Epcot/world of tomorrow' type stuff. I know the late 50's/early 60's were far from a golden age but the sense of optimism and possibility is something that's been lacking in the American culture during most of my adult life. On a more shoe related note, I wonder how much of what's described in this video has been compromised in cost cutting initiatives? No way is today's QC process as thorough as what's described here. Then again, there was no Shoe Bank back then either :p

2. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Since @Buster Brown mentioned "North By Northwest" (a film) and I was in Hollywood (wearing walnut Strands) earlier today, here's my walnut Strands with Clifton Webb's star on Hollywood Blvd. Had I known @Buster Brown was going to mention "North By Northwest" would have taken the picture on Cary Grant's or Alfred Hitchock's stars instead.

[​IMG]

Worked for the Santa Fe Railway until April 30th, 1971, when Amtrak happened and abolished almost everyone's jobs (including mine). Worked on private trains from time to time after that and continued following the old Santa Fe/Fred Harvey rules and service standards.

4 people like this.
  3. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

I saw a link to this article the other day and was intrigued by the idea. I'll stipulate that a minimalist could get by with those 3 types of shoes but at least one of them is going to take a heck of a beating without some rotation.

So that reminded me of this thread. Each of us probably wears a certain type of shoe most often and based on the pics, that would be 'dress shoe' or 'smart casual' for most of us in this thread. Or, 'black oxford' and 'brown leather boot' in the vernacular of the AoM article.

I worked though an exercise to define my own streamlined rotation. I started with the 'roles' I needed shoes to fill (i.e. types of outfits I commonly wear and need to pair shoes with). Then I added replicates for the most frequently used roles and took into account changing seasons (well, by SoCal standards anyway). Here's what I came up with (by role):

- Semi-formal (wedding, funeral, interview), 1 pair:
    - Black cap toe oxford (Park Avenue)​
    - CBD suits (winter), 1 pair:
    - Brown brogue oxford (suede McAllister)*​
    - CBD suits (summer), 1 pair:
    - Tan oxford (walnut Harrison)​
    - Odd jackets and business casual (winter), 2 pair:
    - Tan/brown blucher (rust suede MacNeil)​
    - Tan/brown boot (dark chili Bleecker Street)​
    - Odd jackets and business casual (summer), 2 pair:
    - Tan/brown blucher (chili Delray)​
    - Tan/brown blucher (caramel nubuck Orleans)​
    - Casual (winter), 1 pair:
    - Anything with distinct casual elements (Normandy)*​
    - Casual (summer), 1 pair:
    - Anything with distinct casual elements (Maritime)*​

* I use non-AE shoes here but listed an AE ‘equivalent.’

My actual rotation is larger (see below) but I think I could be comfortable with something like the above 9 pairs. There's obviously some overlap. For instance, the brown brogue oxfords could be used with the right business casual (or even casual) outfit, the rust suede MacNeil's can be dressed up or down, etc.

Other shoes in my rotation and their role(s):
    - Rust shell Hillsborough (brogue cap toe monk strap): business casual
    - Snuff suede Taunton (chelsea boot): business casual, casual
    - Bourbon Mora (cap toe double monk): business casual
    - Navy suede Dundee (chukka boot): (some) suits, business casual, casual
    - Brown and white Broadstreet (spectator): business casual
    - Black patent Ritz (opera pump): formal
    - Golden brown Long Branch: casual
    - Brown Fifth Street: suits, business casual
    - Bourbon Portland (split toe boot): business casual
    - A second non-AE casual shoe

TL;DR/what's the point? While I have nothing against (and some envy for) amassing a vast collection, the minimalist in me strives to do more with less. Thinking through the ideal rotation helps me with buy/sell/recraft decisions. I'm slowly moving to more pairs like the navy Dundees and brown suede McAllisters that can fill 3 different roles. It makes packing for travel, maintenance and of course budgeting much easier. Of course, I'll aways have some affectations - the opera pump and spectator are 2 of my favorites and I couldn't possibly part with uniquely colored shell acquired at calf price!

2 people like this.
  4. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Shell Daltons arrived today. Reverse welt, neutral edge dressing. The burgundy seems much more what I would call color 8 (aka Alden's plumb finish). 2nds marking with ever, ever, ever so slight wear from an obviously brief try-on. Other than that, they are perfect. Pretty even color amongst the panels, wings are pretty uniform, straight eyelets (!!!).

#36 in my AE rotation. First shell... Think I'm in trouble.

I've been wearing 9D in most my AEs (~9.25 heel to toe but 10.5-11 heel to ball). I have flat feet/low arches so experience major volume issues on many shoes. Only recently went up in length and down in width. These are 10C. Fit is OK with med weight boot socks and AMAZING with regular socks and road warriors inserts. Best out of the box fit since my Shakers.

Excuse the excited, indoor, shorts wearing pics. I'll snap some in the wild pics soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    8 people like this.
  5. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Well-Known Member

How much room do you have in the toe section?

6. TexasTexter

They are brown.

7. bkdc

bkdc Well-Known Member

Just enough. I'm a tough fit at 7.5 EEE, but that's the size I wear in almost all Allen Edmonds. The 511 last is not a long last, and it shows. The First Ave boots look much sleeker.

8. TexasTexter

I have about a thumbnails (my entire thumb nail) length in mine from my toe to the tip of the shoe, how about you?

9. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

The seal has been broken, let the shell roll!

10. akjc

akjc Well-Known Member

So I tried on a pair of 9.5 and my heel slipped out quite a lot as I was walking. Tried on the 9 and it was a bit better, but still some more slipping than I wanted. The 9D was far too narrow, but the length was a little better, but still some heel slip.

Could this last not be right for my foot? Traditionally, I am 10.5 in Nike Flyknit Racer, Flyknit Lunar, Jordan 1s, Dunks, Adidas Stan Smiths in 10, Vans in 10.5, and 9.5 in Wolverine 1000 Miles. I've never worn a 9 in anything and I've definitely never would assume I'd need an 8.5.

Any advice here? Try another model or would wearing them more reduce the heel slippage?

11. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, not surprised that one failed. Looks like a long butt crack.

12. TexasTexter

Lol. That's graphic imagery.

13. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

deleted

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Looking great! Would love to see a pic in outdoor indirect light. Mine have darkened quite a bit. Have yours?

Check out the difference I color between the vamp and the top of the tongue, which is closer to the original color.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. eagleman

eagleman Well-Known Member

Beautiful patina there. Shell or calf?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  17. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

Third times the charm...

Ordered a second pair of HM's and received them a couple days ago. On both the first pair and the pair I tried on at the store, the left boot was fine, but the right had misaligned eyelets and quarters (and on the first pair, the right boot was actually a bit bigger than the left). On the pair I just received, the right boot was perfect, and the left boot had issues (wavy leather on the throat, and misalligned eyelets). Kept the left boot from the first set and the right boot from the third set:
    [​IMG]

I took three tries, but NOW I'm happy with my HM's. I brushed them down this morning, the glow you can get out of CxL is pretty awesome.

1 person likes this.
  18. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  19. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dreary Saturday at the office called for the first wear of the HMs. Really happy I went with black.

1 person likes this.
  20. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

MTO Fifth Streets for fall Saturday:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.