1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

I'm not getting that offer on my Amex... I wonder why...

2. deker9

deker9 Member

When I buy firsts and pay retail price I expect a shoe which has been built correctly. Stitching through the danite circle means the shoe or the sole aren't made correctly. In this case it looked like they used a larger size sole and then trimmed it down but only on one shoe. My opinion at this point is this line of shoe is lower quality than other designs and shouldn't be referred to as casual, but as lower quality. The way these two pair were presented would be what I would expect to receive at an outlet as seconds.

3. Skelnik

Skelnik Well-Known Member

Me either. I have about 50 others, but not for Allen Edmonds. I had the earlier in the year and it was $50 off. I checked both of my Amex cards. Hopefully I get that offer soon though.

4. Skelnik

Has anyone stretched their shell cordovan shoes? I am considering stretching a pair that are a bit tight near the toes. I've read mixed things. Just a tiny bit would be adequate I think.

5. cnation

cnation Well-Known Member

First off, I really like your quote. finding the next shells are a addiction. you buy one then you want another then so fort. Painful for the wallet. As for the offer, I would try give american express a call and see if they can activate the offer for you.

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I have stretched many calf shoes, but I have been really careful when trying to stretch cordovan. The grain is really tight in shell and they do not like to stretch. Shoe makers have to be careful when stretching shell over the lasts during construction lest they actually cause it to split. I do not know that you could generate that much pull with a shoe stretcher, but I would proceed with caution. I posted this video about a week ago, but it is applicable concerning the tearing while lasting up a shoe. Ignore it if you have seen it before.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. RTD1

RTD1 Well-Known Member

Same here, no offer. I too used the $50 offer earlier this year, wonder if that's the reason.

8. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Haha I judge every guy in public now. Clothing fits, shoes, you name it. Thanks Internet.

/end thread

9. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing. Well, actually I wanted to yell S - T - O - P in slow motion, like on a TV show.
    Please don't do this unless you've got the grommets to go with it. Honestly, this should be a very cheap and easy job for a professional.

10. Skelnik

That's what I was afraid of. I have a brand new pair of shoes I love and cannot be purchased anymore but I really want to keep them. This would have been the only way. You said you had been careful when stretching cordovan. Does that mean that you were successfully able to do it a little?

11. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

12. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Natty Higgins Mill, take 3...

Quick back story: Went to my local store about a month ago, use 9D & 9.5D in the HM to determine I need B width, no B widths in the store, pay for a 9.5B, they also order in a 9B just in case. Fit is great, but both pair look pretty beat up. Manager said they were going back and ordered in another 9.5B.

Swung by today for my replacement pair. They looked great! No tiger striping or fatty spots, limited nicks (I am fine with this, they're cxl boots after all).

Go to try them on. Damn it! One fits much looser than the other. Enough that I wonder if it is a mismarked D width. SA - one I've never seen before - tells me that's because they are handmade. In the middle of me calling him on that, he corrects himself to "hand lasted." Says it's very common for one to fit wider than the other or even between different pairs of the same model. I definitely pushed back on this, saying that is bad QC not a positive/celebrated affordance of hand-lasted shoes. Turns out the old pair was still in the back. Try them on again. Yup, they fit great. Go back to the replacement pair, nope righty still fits bigger. The SA initial said I could keep the mismatched pair, but then after checking with the other SA... nope. "Not allowed, because they have different lot numbers on the inside."

Guess I either live with these, hoping the footbed settles enough and they don't overly crease from excess volume, OR I wait even longer for a pair of shoes that I needed to pre-pay for before ever even trying them on. Took them home to mull it over. Rather than dealing with the store, I'll contact Kelly in CS.

Again, I question the purpose of a brick and mortar store if you still have to order in sizes to try on. Easily could have taken advantage of the free shipping, ordered multiple pairs in multiple sizes online and returned the rest. Would end up costing AE more and my SM would miss out on the commission.

Itching to wear them. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow...

1 person likes this.
  13. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Career change! Switch to a more AE-friendly job like sales or consulting [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

You know that you can get a proper fit. I'd order again.

15. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

When I first started into cologne I kept to a strict "only wear this in fall/night/when Venus and Mars are in view" type of thing but lately I have the same attitude as I do with my shoes. If I want to wear it and I know it won't offend anyone in the office, I wear it (plus I rock two scents a day, one in the morning, then one after I'm done with the gym.) Except black shoe with anything, and black shirt with any pants...right style police? :)

16. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

These are the Gobi chukkas I was talking about earlier. I just punched in the extra set of eyelets. I measured the distance between each eyelet like 20 times haha. They look pretty good to me.

5 people like this.
  17. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

I didn't think of that; I usually just bring one pair of cedar trees for whichever shoe I wore most recently.

That doesn't make them seconds. It's a minor defect, at best, that doesn't affect anything about the wear of the shoe. Hell, if anything it would make that stitch last longer since it isn't touching the ground.

Sounds like you have to quit.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  18. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

That's crazy f-ing annoying - I'd be pissed about that whole thing. You definitely have a higher threshold than me for patience. I hope someone from AE retail reads your thing.

If you can wait I'm with my engineering buddy and I'd order it again and see. If you really can't, no way I'd take the messed up size thing - I'd have to go with the beat up one - maybe try to get something off. Misized will always end up bad no matter how you slice it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

He'll be good - with the new job his Kirkwoods & Maritimes should be more than sufficient.

1 person likes this.
  20. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Before I joined this forum I would pretty much do black shirt / black pants (and sometimes black jacket) almost all the time. Still tend towards that (hence my large collection of black shoes) but I've managed to branch out a lot now.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.