1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Is it possible they based the lace length on bar-lacing the eyelets like in the AE.com photos? If so, not a good move.

I should have checked that when I tried on a pair of 8D's.

2. JLC2

JLC2 Well-Known Member

For Canadians, the hassle in getting AE's is a blessing and a curse!

3. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Stitching through the dainite circle is not a big deal at all. But if you're not happy, then by all means return.

4. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

Yea they do actually. The reason I didn't buy that yet was because I wanted to see how they turned out after I punched the holes in. I can still apply it after the holes are punched in right? Sorry. I've never done this before so I don't know lol. I was going to buy it afterwards if everything turned out good. I saw online that they only cost like 3 or 4 bucks at Home Depot.

5. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Style Forum Badlands GMTO's today waiting for service at the dealership:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My apologies for 1) the loud carpeting, 2) not so great back-up iPhone 4 pictures. Shoes, though, are SWEET.

3 people like this.
  6. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

Hmmm I bought the Higgins Mill in brown and my local AE store gave me an extra set of tan laces. Now that you mention it, my tan laces are longer than my brown laces. Now I'm thinking that it's because the tan ones came from a larger size pair.

7. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Well-Known Member

That's correct, you'll punch the hole first and then affix the grommet. I wouldn't lace and wear the boots around until the grommet is in place. Buy extra grommets and practice attaching them to the scrap leather. I've never put grommets in leather, but I've done it for tarps and canvas and whatnot. There will definitely be a learning curve.

8. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Well-Known Member

That seems odd, but it wouldn't surprise me if they carried different lengths for different size boots. If you want/need longer laces, I've had good experiences with the flat, waxed laces from this company on Amazon. I used them to switch out the rounded laces that came with the Long Branch after I felt like they were chewing a bit too much into the tongue leather. No regrets at all and I've since used them as a replacement for the rounded laces that came with the Darmstadt. They take about 2 weeks to deliver, since I believe they come from Europe, but they have a variety of lengths and colors. I need to measure these laces when I get home and figure out whether I need the 55" or the 59" version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BCUHV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This link is for the 5mm version, but they also have 8mm versions, too. I can't remember what the thickness is on the current HM laces. Regardless, there are choices.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  9. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

Its so crazy ...if you hang around here long enough, styleforum will have you believing that allen edmonds shoes are the lowliest, cheapest dress shoes on the market. But when you go into the real world, AE is leagues above most other mens' shoes. And I dont just mean they are above the oft maligned "black, square toe, bicycle toe monstrocity" either.

Thanks to this damn thread, I now gaze at men's dress shoes in public to compare them to mine. But I noticed a gentleman sitting in the coffee shop next to me, and at first I just thought "hmmm, nice shoes"...but the longer I stared the more I began to think they looked familiar. I began googling the AE shoes I thought looked most similar to his, and sure enough, it turned out he was wearing a brown mcgregor. I was able to confirm a positive ID match by matching the toe medallion on his to the online pics of the mcgregors. His mcgregors looked excellent, and certainly stood up well next to the other tanned cap toes and tan plain toes which were abound in the coffee shop.

3 people like this.
  10. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

The coolness here in Chicago today also has me thinking what I'm going to wear with mine tomorrow.

11. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

In other news, grabbed a pair of Merlot Park Aves at Paramus today. They were perfect. Unfortunately, what I wanted were Merlot First Aves. They were not so good. Loose grain on the side of the heel of one shoe (I could live with that), plus the most important detail the strip of broguing on the cap was wavy. So I passed. According to the SA, those were the last 8E's they had in the system.

Some things I saw:

Changed the shoe layout in the store so the boots were near the front (in the back before). Winter is coming.

Shelton 2.0, I like it more and more over the 1.0 every time I see it. The sleeker profile makes it a little more like a Carlyle with a saddle (@Lobster33 ) plus it retains the old-style piping.

Neumok 2.0's, they just don't work. AE has gone a little overboard with the blonde/neutral edging. It works in some cases (like the "orange" which is more like a bright walnut, and maybe the red), but using it across the whole color spectrum: no bueno. At least the Black Kudu had contrasting stitching which helps a little. The green could give my Morgan's a run for their money in terms of WTF.

They had 4 Carlyle's on display. The only decent looking one was Brown. Why? It had piping. The profila binding on the other three made them look like Walmart shoes.

Saw some non-"S" shoes (see crappy pictures below). They all had a little sample of leather glued on to the boxes. So I'm guessing these were made as samples or were the shoe equivalent of straight to video. Must say the Olive Westbrook (a true olive, not loden) looked really nice. They also had Westbrooks in a light purple and medium brown, also with out the "S" for seconds designation.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The suede Strands looked pretty good. I like the darker blue they used, but I thought the loden/olive looked the best. Also, they had piping.

1 person likes this.
  12. GerryD

GerryD Member

13. bkdc

bkdc Well-Known Member

I wear 7.5 EEE, and the laces are the perfect length on the Higgins Mills here. I can see how one size does not fit all for boot lacing. I measured the included laces at 56 inches. So you'll probably need the 63 inch standard.

14. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with this. I like the red, and the grey, and even the orange (which is really just walnut, visually speaking), but the light welt thing is getting a little over done at this point.

15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Bad news, fellow weasels. I took a new job a month ago. I'm a physician, and my specialty often involves doing minor to moderately sized procedures in the office. In my former job/residency, I had specific days set aside for these procedures, but at my new job I will be having them sprinkled throughout most days. Because of this, I may end up having to switch to wearing scrubs all day every day. Unfortunately, none of my many dress shoes go with scrubs. I would hate to have to give up wearing all the wonderful and expensive AE (and non-AE) shoes I own!

Mulling over my options currently.

16. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

Solution: change constantly all day long giving you an opportunity to potentially wear even more pairs on a given day.

3 people like this.
  17. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Cheetah time?

@ace13x , It appears they have no desire to slow down the proflila binding. More and more designs are using it. My walnut Carlyles are tight at the arch, but I know I will never find another pair with the old piping, so I've been stretching them a lot to make them work. Funny that in the recent email I received this week for AE's Fall shoes, the old-piping walnut Carlyle is shown. Several websites still have the old piping pics as well, further confusing customers when they receive the shoes. But anyway, my Loake 1880's have profila binding, but it looks nice because the edges are very clean. If AE would find a way to clean up the edges (especially on the walnut), I think people wouldn't mind too much. Again, I don't think it looks less bad on the darker shoes.

18. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

Wanted to get your thoughts on this issue I've had with my pair of Parkways. It appears that the welt and outsole have totally separated on a large portion on the outside of the right shoe.

[​IMG]

The left shoe looks fine and neither shoe shows excessive wear on the soles or needs to be recrafted other than because of this. Do you think this would be an issue to bring up to AE customer service? Or have I just worn through the stitching on that side and it needs to be recrafted?

19. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

I'd say thats a defect at least from that photo. Send pictures to customer service.

20. cnation

cnation Well-Known Member

Sorry got excited and forgot to mention American express. But yeah, by using your American express card you'll get 90 of when you spend more than 300.
    I was going to buy some shells this week but with the shells going 15 percent of during RDA i'll have to wait till then. So instead I got a gift card for 553 since the american express offer ends this moth and RDA happens couple days after this month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.