• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did someone say group shot? Most but not all of my AE shoes :)

Love the blue shell shoes. Are those Acheson's? What is the last shoe listed? The boots are my favorite. What are they the walnut and blue suede? Killer!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you see the stitching? It's awful.

I tend to agree with @FaRKle , though you obviously have a better view than either of us. At $500+ its tough, but at the $399 sale price I would feel a lot better about it. Maybe you can get them to credit you the difference?

Anyway, if you're having bad luck with the CAC, let them know (it might help your case for some compensation), and next time try to go through an outlet so an SA can look them over.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with @FaRKle , though you obviously have a better view than either of us. At $500+ its tough, but at the $399 sale price I would feel a lot better about it. Maybe you can get them to credit you the difference?

Anyway, if you're having bad luck with the CAC, let them know (it might help your case for some compensation), and next time try to go through an outlet so an SA can look them over.

Yes at $399 that is different but $527 is not really that much of a discount for the shoes IMHO. The shoes are rough, very rough. Maybe some work can make them better but this is about the roughest 2nd I have gotten. As you guys have stated it is always better to buy from the store as the CAC and I can see exactly why that is. Painful lesson. Well at least I got to see the fit. They fit well. Good stuff to know for the future! Hopefully there will be a sale!

Last edited:

Middlife

Reaction score

Agreed on the price point. If you have a relationship with an SA you may be able to get them to reduce the price to $399. The sale wasn't too long ago so they might throw you a bone.

If you can snip off the frayed edges with cuticle cutters or small scissors and even out the color a bit with some cream, I think it makes sense to keep them at $399, otherwise I would probably send them back.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those dents are normal? The thing that bothers me the most is the pinking. Its rough and not cut in places.

The dents happen. Are they on a highly visible part of the shoe?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those dents are normal? The thing that bothers me the most is the pinking. Its rough and not cut in places.

Dents are not uncommon in seconds. I have a dent on my black Leeds, but it's hardly noticeable. But like I said before, it's a roll of the dice when you buy seconds.

It sounds like you're pretty unhappy with them though -- you know what is best, so if you want to return them, you probably should.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the price point. If you have a relationship with an SA you may be able to get them to reduce the price to $399. The sale wasn't too long ago so they might throw you a bone.

If you can snip off the frayed edges with cuticle cutters or small scissors and even out the color a bit with some cream, I think it makes sense to keep them at $399, otherwise I would probably send them back.

This. A good relationship with an SA goes a long way. Even if you can't get the difference in cash, maybe you can get credit on a future purchase. The frays can be cleaned up, and the color is going to change with exposure to sunlight, so you might luck out and get it more even, but shell often has color variance. The rough texture is just the way the shell is sometimes, undesirable, but will not affect wearability.

Ultimately, as @Lobster33 said, you know the way you feel better than anyone. If its going to eat away at you, then don't keep. If you can live with them at an agreeable price, you have a shoe that could/should out live you.

Last edited:

HoldenMI

Reaction score
Cordovan Catastrophe!

So I ordered a pair of Cordovan Cambridges from the CAC. Not impressed.
1f61e.png
What do y'all think??? I understand these are seconds but I honestly expected more for $527! The texture is rough and the colors don't match, I cannot see one good thing about these. Truly disappointing to say the least. Darn! I'm striking out with seconds. Guess I am just not meant to get seconds!

Don't order from the CAC--it's where all the returns go and the SA can't look them over for you. I, like others on here, have had terrible luck with CAC seconds. In my modest opinion, you should buy shell firsts at $650 if you're willing to pay $527. But, it's not unusual for the shell seconds to go on sale for $399. And whenever a new store opens they have a 15% off sale and you can order shell firsts for $552.

My .02.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. A good relationship with an SA goes a long way. Even if you can't get the difference in cash, maybe you can get credit on a future purchase. The frays can be cleaned up, and the color is going to change with exposure to sunlight, so you might luck out and get it more even, but shell often has color variance. The rough texture is just the way the shell is sometimes, undesirable, but will not affect wearability.

Ultimately, as @Lobster33 said, you know the way you feel better than anyone. If its going to eat away at you, then don't keep. If you can live with them at an agreeable price, you have a shoe that could/should out live you.

I misunderstood his original post -- I originally thought he said they were $399. At $527, I think I would return. $399 though would be acceptable.

amphillips79

Reaction score

Maiden voyage of my Neumok seconds from the flash sale. I wish I had gotten a pair of these much sooner. One of the most comfortable shoes right out of the box I've gotten from AE.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maiden voyage of my Neumok seconds from the flash sale. I wish I had gotten a pair of these much sooner. One of the most comfortable shoes right out of the box I've gotten from AE.

They are very comfy! That is why I have 5 pair! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads