1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Well-Known Member

I have not been classically trained as such, but my job title does include the word which would probably frustrate some actual engineers out there. I do IT solution design and support as my profession, so I am inclined to overthink things a bit from time to time.

1 person likes this.
  2. St Hubbins

Nice work.

3. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

As many of you will be able to realte to, I have a very expensive daughter. So, I just listed 5 pair of well cared for, rarely worn Allen Edmonds for sale in the B&S. $99 each, shipping and trees included, four US 10.5 D, one 10 D. Enjoy...

http://www.styleforum.net/t/528702/shoe-clear-out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

All this talk about having enough or too many shoes is preposterous. The correct amount for pairs is always going to be N+1 :)
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

I agree with Ace; I love the black cherry color and that's an enviable price point.
    I still haven't, but now I really want to. You've shined those beautifully.
    The welt is just where the two ends meet, nothing to worry about and common with Alden as well as AE. The crinkling, as you term it, is not uncommon with cxl, but you could always send a picture to AE CS and ask if it's within spec for firsts and see if they offer a discount or exchange.

1 person likes this.
  6. BillyMcGee

BillyMcGee Well-Known Member

Quote: Pm sent for both of the 10.5d jeffersons

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  7. naspratt

Those are some damn good deals. As are those Vass chukkas and the shell Cambridge.

8. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

Thank you, and you are welcome to buy them all :)

The Vass are particularly heartbreaking as I have wanted them for so long and they dont fit well...

9. naspratt

I'm just glad Billy wants those Jeffs or I was going to have to explain to my wife why I needed three colors in the same shoe!

Those Chukkas are the hotness; I'm worried about sizing honestly.

1 person likes this.
  10. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

have you had all the children you want to have?

11. St Hubbins

It's taken a whole forty-eight hours, but my recently acquired Fullertons are making me want those Club Monaco Suede Leeds even more. I am hopeless.

1 person likes this.
  12. bathiel

bathiel Well-Known Member

I picked up a pair of black Liverpools today from Woodmere (thanks, Brian!). I can't believe the fit, comfort and style of these. It feels like they were designed for my feet. Can't wait to wear them.

Bernie

13. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

If you like the 511 last, I say go for it. It's not my favorite last, but it fits me pretty good. I don't plan on buying more shoes on that last any time soon, but it's also because I already have most of what I want that's available.

There is a Club Monaco that I stopped in today, but they never stock the Leeds shoes in the store.

I also went to the Nordstrom Rack in Orange for the first time. Horrible, horrible experience. Don't bother. And the parking lot is f--ing horrible. Didn't find 1 AE shoe in my sizes. NR is hit and miss. The South Coast Plaza location is awesome, but the Orange is terrible.

For those in LA area, so far:

Good Nordstrom Racks:
    -South Coast Plaza

Bad Nordstrom Racks:
    -Burbank
    -Orange

14. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

I got a pair of Brooks by AE Duke Brown Grain handsewn penny loafers from the Shoebank the other week.

http://www.shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=54544S&DIM=D&SIZE=110

However, I don't know if if I want to keep them our not? I was thinking of exchanging them or putting the money towards a loafer like these from ether Herschung or Sid Mashburn. Or alternatively something from Herring or Velasca.

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/inde...-caviar-grain-penny-loafers-leather-sole.html

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/footwear/brown-beaumont-sid-mashburn-penny-loafer.html

One question are the AE ones recraftable? The shoe bank customer service said they were? I ask as all I know is that the Hershungs def are(good year welted) and I assume the Mashburns are probably blake stiched.

15. DustinM

DustinM Well-Known Member

Thousand Oaks is a nice store but doesn't stock any AE. Woodland Hills is hit or miss. I've found some AE shoes there but it's been either a) NR specific models or b) loafers

16. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

The AE ones are made in the Dominican Republic and are not recraftable- I've confirmed multiple times with customer service. I really wanted a pair of these and love the football leather, but I'm at the point where I won't buy a shoe that isn't recraftable. If AE ever makes a recraftable version of these, I'll be the first in line to buy some.

17. RTD1

RTD1 Well-Known Member

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes-101/lasts.html

They list the 5 different handsewn lasts, and then have this statement for all of them:

Quote:
    They only have 1 cemented last listed, and it includes this statement:

Quote:
    However, the supposed "handsewns" made in the Dominican Republic cannot be recrafted, according to their individual product pages.

It doesn't make sense until you see this blanket statement at the bottom of their Lasts page:

Quote:
    I'm assuming that the examples they provide are by no means exhaustive, and this statement basically applies to everything made in the DR on a handsewn last.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  18. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

^ I'm curious if they can be resoled by an outside company.

Maybe its just part of AE's policy not to recraft the DR models because they are typically sold at a lower price point. According to AE, recrafting is not a very profitable endeavor. I'm sure the idea that when buying a pair of shoes from AE you can get actual factory refurbishing helps them sell more shoes in the long run. Perhaps they want to limit that to their higher margin shoe lines.

19. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

The ones I was talking about the "Duke" Brown Pebble Grain loafers say "Made in the USA" though.

So they aren't from the DR factory.

20. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

Can a pair of natural HMs be modified in color by applying normal shoe polish, or is CXL a different breed of leather that this won't work on? I am looking at buying a pair from the Shoebank and wanted a backup plan if the natural color variations between the two shoes is what got them sent to the seconds bin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.