1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

(Formerly) Walnut Wednesday today with Fenways and chinos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Well-Known Member

I love those. I'd probably love them more with a double oak sole, but still. Boy, did I get into this whole thing too late and miss out on some great models.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  3. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

Fedex dropped off my merlot McAllisters today- snazzy looking shoe:
    [​IMG]

I found the reason they're seconds- the heel counter stitching isn't centered on the left shoe, and the dent on the right shoe:
    [​IMG]

My concern with these is that the v gap is almost completely closed when I put them on- my fear is that these will stretch and bow like crazy. Thoughts?:
    [​IMG]

Edit: with flash-
    [​IMG]

Closeup (and level) with flash-
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Skelnik

Skelnik Well-Known Member

I received a new pair of Shell Cordovan MacNeil's yesterday. I was very excited, everything looked good and then... I put them on and did the test walk. There was something ridged under the insole of the left shoe. It felt like a flat wide metal piece the was laying diagonally under the front of my foot. The rest of the cork insole depressed normally but not this. It hurt after less then a minute of walking. I couldn't see any lumps or even feel anything out of the ordinary with my hand, but as soon as I walked on it it was unmistakable. I tried them on at different times throughout the day thinking that I was imagining it, but each time it was very noticeable.

I've never had anything like that happen. I emailed the SA that sold them to me and I will definitely be returning them. I explained that they don't want to re-sell these to anyone else as they seem to have a structural flaw. It felt almost as though the shaft they place in the cork bed shifted somehow toward the front of the shoe, but who knows.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

5. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I think you'll be fine. Enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  6. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Other than a couple pairs I have from ShoeBank that I can't find any reason for them to be seconds (and aren't marked), this is the best scenario IMHO. Those are great, and I think the closure will be fine. My McT's have closed in, but I doubt yours will stretch to the point that lacing isn't effective.

1 person likes this.
  7. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    For the benefit of new forum members, it looks like time to re-post my old shoe-holic checklist.

Are you a Shoe-holic? I know more than one of us have admitted to hiding shoes at work to keep the wife in the dark or having new shoes delivered to some address other than our home. Others of us have braved the situation only to be confronted by accusations of being a shoe-holic. But perhaps some of us do have a problem in this area. To that end, I completed this handy "10 warning signs of having a shoe problem" to see where I personally stand against such accusations.

Lying About or Hiding Your New Shoes - Yep! Pretty common in my life.

Buying new shoes to Relax or Feel Better - Guilty. Hey, sometimes one just needs to reward one's self.

“Blacking Out” Regularly - Yes, this occurs. Have you ever purchased a pair of shoes only to later realize you already owned this style and returned it for a refund? Yeah, me too.

Being Unable to Stop Once You Start - Does over 20 pairs in one year count as being unable to stop?

Wearing shoes in Dangerous Situations - Suede on a rainy day. What was I thinking?

Neglecting Your Responsibilities - Well, yes, according to my wife.

Having Trouble in Your Relationships - See above. She is really not as flexible as she should be on this point. I blame her mother.

Being Able to Buy More Shoes Than You Used To - Hell yeah, just watch me go.

Experiencing Withdrawal from Your Shoes - I have avoided this by buying a larger suitcase.

Trying to Quit Buying Shoes but Being Unable to - I don't know. I haven't tried to quit.

Looks like everything is A OK in my world. How about you?

8. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Thanks! My only LWBs and one of my first AEs, before I dialed in my size. Super comfy and the sole allows them to be used as beaters. These are slightly too long, but remedied with tongue pads and thicker socks. Me and @smfdoc are the only forum members who seem to have these.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  10. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

Where can I get a pair of those laces? I know that Allen Edmonds doesn't sell them online.

11. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I get my merlot McAllisters in the mail. So happy because I needed them by Saturday. Just hope the Manistee belt gets here on time...

12. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Hey guys -- hoping to get some advice on finding a belt to buy that matches my new Bainbridge shoes exclusive to Nordstrom.

I'll be wearing these probably exclusively with jeans, so a more casual style belt is preferred. The belt could be AE, but could be from somewhere else too. I went to my local Nordstrom rack, and didn't even get close, so I'm hoping you guys can help!

Here's a stock picture and a "real world" picture of them. (Though, I will say, the stock photo is pretty accurate)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

13. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

Quick glance try Western Ave Belt from AE. Could work for you? I haven't seen either in person so hard to be sure.

14. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

What do you think of the Montana? They still have some left.

15. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

That's definitely a contender. Thank you!

16. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

I think that is a great match!

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I need a 34 in my belt... they look like they only have 42 and 44 available :(

17. DustinM

DustinM Well-Known Member

I found both the academy and HM comfortable but I am leaning towards returning the Academy. The two in natty are very similar under a pair of jeans and personally I find the boots just slightly more comfortable.

I'm undecided on the black HM. I like them, but don't necessarily need them.

18. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Where can I get a pair of those laces? I know that Allen Edmonds doesn't sell them online.
    I placed a link in the post where it states, "I suggested Laccio." I guess its not terribly obvious, but just click that and it will take you to Amazon where they can be ordered. Or, go to Amazon.com and search for Laccio laces.

19. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

Sometimes there are belts in their inventory that don't show up online. A store could look it up for you.

20. delongej26

delongej26 Member

[​IMG]

Is this stitching an issue or non issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.