• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@orange fury I think those both look pretty good. But nothing wrong with the Warwicks? I see some dark streaks in the better-lit photo. Which will clear up with conditioning and polishing. I'd keep them both. Which may be why I went from 0 to 21 pairs of AE (plus one Carmina, one Vass, and one Lobb) in the last three years.

It's incredibly minor in person- more of my concern with seconds is actual structural issues with the leather or fit problems. A small amount of striping I can deal with. Also, I brushed them after I took the pic, and it lessened it even more- this was straight out of the box, and there was some light dust on it that needed taking care of.

Fwiw, if I bought them as firsts, its not bad enough that I would complain about it

FaRKle

Reaction score
Like I mentioned before, you should avoid ordering from the CAC. They can't eyeball the shoes for you when you order. All the bad seconds I've received have been from the CAC. I would be a little nervous about any seconds from the CAC. It really pisses me off to receive a pair of shoes that have the wrong soles (happened twice) or have serious and obvious defects and have to pay a restocking fee. I think the CAC is where they dump the worst of the seconds.

If it's at the CAC the guys at the Port Washington shoe bank should be able to take a look at it (maybe not RIGHT away, but they're right next to it). Regardless of where a second is located, if I want it, I call Chris at the Port Washington shoe bank and order it through him. I've ordered numerous pairs that were physically at the CAC like this and none of them have been bad. I got a pair of Universities in this week (RIP 333 last, your life was too short) that were at the CAC and the only flaw on them is that they're ever so slightly creased from being tried on.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't end up on any foot lovers websites, but could someone tell me if this is quite a low arch?
Looks about like mine, which is a slightly high. The best way to determine size is to go into the stores and get sized. That will at least get you on the right track, and then you can try on several sizes to see which one works best.
You really do have to obtain information by being sized in the store and then trying on multiple pairs. You will need to make sure that you try some shoes with a closed lacing and others with an open lacing. You also need to remember that the overall width of the foot is only one of the parameters. More importantly, in my experience, is the overall volume of the front of the foot. You may find that the shoe is perfectly wide but the vamp is either too narrow or excessively wide. It's always a combination of all of the various parameters. And that is why everyone will urge you to make sure that you try on the actual shoes rather than just relying upon the measurement of the width and length of your foot.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's incredibly minor in person- more of my concern with seconds is actual structural issues with the leather or fit problems. A small amount of striping I can deal with. Also, I brushed them after I took the pic, and it lessened it even more- this was straight out of the box, and there was some light dust on it that needed taking care of.

Fwiw, if I bought them as firsts, its not bad enough that I would complain about it
Nice! Good score. But man, your OCD game is weak :) We get people in here complaining about loose threads on the welt.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordy Anniversary Sale starts today:

Shoes for $259

Strand - Walnut, Black
Park Ave - Black, Brown
Carlyle - Black, Brown, Walnut
McAllister - Black, Walnut
Cornwallis - Dark Chili

Belts:
Wide Dress Belt for $73 in black brown or walnut
Manistee for $80 - Black, brown and walnut

Other shoes:
Bainbridge for $199
Urbino Tassel Loafer $230
Cavanuagh $179.90 - Black, Walnut

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those dark chili Cornwallis are gorgeous...

I agree. Too bad they look so much like these brown saddle Vernons I have on today.

Last edited:

Middlife

Reaction score
The best 65 last fit for me is 7EEE, with that the heel is a tad bit wide, and the instep is snug (on bals). Heel to ball feels perfect, and width across the ball is good as is room in the toes. I also have some 65 last bals in 7.5EE (your size), and they fit pretty well, except there's a bit more pressure on my instep than I like, and on some I get a bit of bowing due to the width of my mid-foot. The heel size is perfect for me on those though.

7EE in the 511 last is good heel to ball, good in heel width, but a bit short in the small toes area (not uncomfortable, but I'm aware that my small toes are touching the shoe and I wouldn't be comfortable if I wore anything thicker than thin socks). There's plenty of room in the instep. 7EEE remedies the toe room concern, but is too wide, especially in the heel (even with medium weight socks). 7.5EE has just too much volume all around, although heel to ball still felt good.

Did you get Dundees in 8E like your Daltons and they were too big for you?
I have 8.5E Dundees that I bought a while back before I understood my sizing and are they too big even with thick socks. I've also tried on a pair of 2nd shell Dundees, however they did not allow me to properly lace them due to low eyelets and they also felt a bit loose.

It was difficult to get an accurate read on the fit but I do think that 8E is my best shot. They definitely felt a bit larger than new Daltons yet to be broken in but they fit similarly to broken in Daltons. The ability to tighten up all the Dalton laces does also help made them fit snugly.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received my brown grain dundees from the bank. There are small imperfections that dont bother me. There is one that visibly would never be seen at all but I am concerned that the cut is deep enough that it could become an issue overtime through wears. Again not in terms of how it looks but the integrity of the leather as a whole. Picture shown below shoes the cut, almost like someone took a razorblade to it to shave the welt or something.

Just tossing this back out there if anyone thinks this will lead to an actual tear through the leather. Again it isn't visible at all because its on the inside and down right at the welt. Thanks for the input!

FaRKle

Reaction score

I have 8.5E Dundees that I bought a while back before I understood my sizing and are they too big even with thick socks.  I've also tried on a pair of 2nd shell Dundees, however they did not allow me to properly lace them due to low eyelets and they also felt a bit loose.  

It was difficult to get an accurate read on the fit but I do think that 8E is my best shot.  They definitely felt a bit larger than new Daltons yet to be broken in but they fit similarly to broken in Daltons.  The ability to tighten up all the Dalton laces does also help made them fit snugly.

If you have the lace the 8E daltons tightly to make them fit well, try 8D next time on the 511.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's at the CAC the guys at the Port Washington shoe bank should be able to take a look at it (maybe not RIGHT away, but they're right next to it). Regardless of where a second is located, if I want it, I call Chris at the Port Washington shoe bank and order it through him. I've ordered numerous pairs that were physically at the CAC like this and none of them have been bad. I got a pair of Universities in this week (RIP 333 last, your life was too short) that were at the CAC and the only flaw on them is that they're ever so slightly creased from being tried on.

When you do this, does he have it brought to him so he can look at it before it is sent out? I haven't found a SA that was willing to have it shipped to their store to look at it beforehand whether it be coming from another shoebank or from CAC. My experience ordering directly from CAC has been that they are in bad shape. I'm pretty sure thats where all the returns go so you are seeing some that have been rejected by many people in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads