1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Nice - did you feel like the heel was crazy wide and you were really slipping around in there or not too bad?

I have to admit, the more I read your posts the more I like. Question for you - I have the original red Neumok like you - clearly a denim casual shoe. The new one looks like a ruby red McAllister - I feel like it's kind of a "neither here, nor there" type of shoe in that it would look weird with denim but is too casual for dress. How do you wear them so far?

2. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

The Rush Street is a great shoe!
    I have a pair in olive, and wanted the golden brown, but they were discontinued and no longer available. The fit is similarl to the Strand.

3. mreams99

The heel is fine.
    The length is about on a par with the 114 or 555.

4. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Well-Known Member

I'm going to wear them with slacks and sports coat. Why not? I think it looks good. It's a deep red.

5. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

BR does the job for me for the most part. However when I wear a BR shirt one day, then one of my Eton's the next, I despise myself for going the "cheap"right. But I know what you mean about hating to buy high end stuff. Hell I saw a pair of boxer briefs for $75 today. The sad part is it made me try to justify the price...

6. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that. When I tried on my new Freiburgs last night, I thought they felt a bit tight! Same size as all my other shoes. I was wordering how this could be, when everyone says it's roomier than the 65, especially in the arch.

This morning I put them on for the day, and they felt totally comfortable! Just like all my 65 lasted shoes. About halfway through the day enjoying them, it hit me - I had tried them (and the Malones) on last night around 7:30PM after a long day. Our feet swell throughout the day, right? I guess that's why they felt tighter at first impression. Today was, well, night and day. :p. The 201's extra room for the arch is appreciated on this boot too (not that my Bleecker Streets are bad)

7. firefit

firefit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do these Cordovan Macneil's seem dry by chance? Or does the polish look like it was caked on? If you look closely at the second picture, you can sort of see little flakes of dried polish. Should a good brushing fix this? Thanks y'all. I just got these used and they were already re-conditioned.

8. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

Are any of the AE boots such as the First Aves designed for warmth as well as aesthetics?

9. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

Sorry for the noob questions. How often do you guys brush / condition / polish your shoes? Any good sources of info to turn to? The forums are tough to navigate through Tapatalk

10. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

+Infinity to that. Every time I gather the "courage" to go with the Cody for a full day, the day after I'm totally going with the Rogue for maximum relief. I definitely have some shoes where I put them on at the beginning of the day and they feel almost too large, but 10+ hrs in, they're a good fit.

11. firefit

I've seen some reviews on the boots and I've heard that they keep your feet pretty warm. If anything, just wear thicker socks to compensate. You can look online "AE boots warmth reviews" I've seen a few pop up.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  12. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

I tried the black Brisbane a bunch of times - 1st & 2nd quality. Length I definitely agree is on par with the 555 (the 114 is really short, I think it's more than that). the toe box is gi-normous, which I didn't really care about. But the thing that concerned me is that the heel just felt way oversized to me. Like if I didn't lace it just right and fill it with my heaviest socks, I'd be rubbing up my ankles like crazy. I think the woven ones like yours were the best but just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. I had a pair of the Sojourner that absolutely obliterated my ankles and didn't want a repeat experience.

1 person likes this.
  13. firefit

Really depends on the type of leather... if it's calf, most people just go with brushing with a decent horsehair brush, use some Saphir Renovateur, and then buff.

Here's a post that can assist you with that.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

First post really helps.

1 person likes this.
  14. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

You're brutal - I was definitely not too interested in any of the new styles. I'm overloaded with casual stuff as it is, plus I feel like the newer stuff doesn't stand a chance against things like the Lubbock, McTavish, Elgin, etc. of the past. But now you have me looking at the Liverpool and the Neumok 2 - thanks a lot.

Oh, almost forgot - I totally thought of you during my last store visit. The SM had on a pair of SMU 1st Aves in buffalo. I thought to myself, oh yeah, Tex would totally own these! I suggested his next pair be ostrich quill - don't know if he was buying it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  15. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

16. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Hey Elvis - sorry if I lost the bubble, but what did you wind up getting? I was going to say, there's quite an influx of 2321 lasted styles, that and the 1757 with the broad toe may work well. The pics of the Macneil kind of surprised me - pretty sure if you were to quantitatively figure out which last had the narrowest toe box, it would pretty likely be the 97.

17. firefit

Here's a website that also really helps.
    https://www.hangerproject.com/

It's an affiliate of Styleforum. Click on "Shoe Care" and click the material that your shoe is made out of. You can find guides to brushing and conditioning your shoes on there, and find numerous products that can assist you in making sure your shoes look as brand new as possible, heck, maybe even better.

1 person likes this.
  18. mreams99

Last winter, there was a shearling-lined First Avenue. I'm not sure if they're selling it right now.

19. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

Added to my bookmarks. I plan on setting out some time this weekend to practice

20. firefit

I got the Cordovan MacNeil's. I had worn them, and to be quite honest the fit isn't really all that bad. It isn't too tight. It's just quite snug, that's all. However, I'll be wearing thin socks with them so that might just help it.
    As for brushing and conditioning, what do you think? I was thinking of investing in Kirby's hanger project cordovan shoe cream polish, and just buffing it afterwards. And of course, brushing it after every wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.