1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    First-wear Friday!

2 people like this.
  2. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

They are supposed to look like this:
    [​IMG]

(which I also own and love)

1 person likes this.
  3. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing a pair of Rush Streets at the shoe bank in golden brown cxl, my size and for $137 for the past month. I'm not sure if I should get them because I already bought a lot of shoes lately. But I also remember a few months back when I thought about buying a pair of McTavish shoes in cognac at the shoe bank for $137 as well and I thought about it to long and they were gone fast lol. Decisions, decisions [​IMG]...

4. Newberry

I have a pair in dark brown cxl and i love them! I think they also have some for sale on the AE Ebay Page

1 person likes this.
  5. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

I saw that. The Shoe Bank had a pretty good price, and then the eBay page had them in black for $150. If the price gets lower, I would really consider it. I know black shoes aren't really used much besides formal events, but I wear a lot of black pants (for work) and I figure what goes better with black pants than black shoes?

6. Newberry

Damn! How long have you had those?

7. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Sorry for non-AE post. I have a question for those that have shoes on Alden Trubalance last. How does it compare (length and width) to some of the commen AE lasts such as 65, 511, 201, etc?

Thank you

8. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

Brooks Fifth Avenues, $169 from the ShoeBank when ordered through the Palo Alro store. I think I've noticed the defects (on the left shoe, a little too much leather beyond the edge of the brogueing on the cap), but that's triviaL.

This was the last pair on my mental checklist of styles I needed to round out my wardrobe. I know it's probably unusual to acquire a plain-ish black balmoral *after* black bluchers, wingtips, and tassel loafers, but for a long time I thought that my bluchers were "dressy enough" for my purposes (and I was probably right). Anyway, now that I have my bases covered, I look forward to saving up for a while and, perhaps sometime down in the road, indulging in some shell cordovan, or, perhaps (*gasp!*) trying a brand other then Allen Edmonds, if I can find one that manufactures pairs in my size.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Well-Known Member

just my luck!

10. TexasTexter

Does anyone think about bedbugs or fungus when buying shoes that are preowned? They hide in shoes.

11. TexasTexter

Lobster, I agree. And if you saw my previous post I don't want someone's bed bugs either!

12. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I guess it's possible, but I never thought of that. I do worry about fungus, as it sometimes affects me.

Brooklyn: Don't feel bad. I just ordered a pair of Loake 1880 shoe seconds. I will always be an AE guy first, but I do want to try other brands that are on par with AE.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. TexasTexter

My experience has been the Rogue since it's a blucher is very wide. I had to go 1/2 size down in them.

1 person likes this.
  14. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of Strands fairly heavily used for sub-$100 and got lucky that the previous owner's footbed conforms well to mine. Remain my best fitting 5-last shoes, which is a damn shame. Only pair that close lacing well and don't impinge my foot. They may have encouraged me not to go up a width where I otherwise should have.

15. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Non shoe related...where do you shop for clothes? Mall or MTM or (jealous if so) bespoke? I'm trying to expand my knowledge on clothing in general. I pretty much destroyed Banana Republic on their last few 50% off sales and I'm happy with it BUT there's always something slightly off on the fit with off the rack clothing for me. So gentleman, school me please

16. frosejr

frosejr Active Member

It's only a problem if you can't quit. I can quit whenever I want to. Right now I don't want to.

17. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Freiburg Friday! (the second barnweasel bite of the week - I blame @middlepP and @naspratt )

[​IMG]

I bought these from our favorite Ebay seller. Had seen them go several rounds of re-listing and tossed in an offer around 50% off ($70). It was accepted within minutes!

There's a small black line scuff inside the right big toe. It was there in the Ebay pics, but I really had to look again, now knowing what it was. As someone said before, the pics may minimize any issues.

However, it was listed as "very lightly worn" and that was definitely true!! Could barely see anything on the soles. The leather is quite soft and I'm loving the contrast stitching on the welt. Another add in the casual direction.

2 people like this.
  18. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Truebalance is pretty generously wide. My Brannock is a 11.75 and the wide end of D. an 11.5 D Truebalance is great for me - not swimmy but generous. I'm an 11.5D in the 65-last and 201-last, and a 12D in 7-last.

I also have a fairly high instep, and have zero issues with that on Truebalance (or Barrie for that matter - same sizing with less extra room - the perfect fit for me).

Hope that helps!

19. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Hasn't anyone ever been bowling?

Disinfectant spray.

Or swishes around some isopropyl alcohol.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  20. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Grrrrr...I hate this topic. I hate having to buy really high end stuff so I've pretty much tried everything possible in the mall stores. Express 1MX is total garbage but the Extra Slim Fit works for me amazingly well. That or Club Monaco's XS Slim Fit are good for me. I'd love to be able to pick up BB shirts - they seem to be made like iron but they're just so damn big. Even the green label whatever, that thing is even big on me. Anything from Ralph Lauren, Polo, Rugby (which is gone I think) or Club Monaco is my go-to. Can't fit BR - too big. Zara is horrible shit - don't buy that for any price. I gush over Thomas Pink at the sale prices but the shirts there also run extremely big. Other than that....Nordstrom's store brands are sort of do-able for me also. Hope that helps. Colezioni Armani always works too.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.