1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I meant the stitching on the top. In the 8's my the tip of my big toe is just before the stitching without socks, and I'm thinking that might be a bit short (for the shoe), but the 8's are nice and snug. In the 9's, its further away from the stitching (duh), and I wouldn't quite say they're loose width-wise, but not snug either.

The long and the short (pun), I'd like the snugness of the 8's but more like the length of the 9's. Hence, why I'm thinking 8.5, but I loafers are not my jam, so maybe the 8's are just the way they're supposed to be. I can fit in them with no-shows, but I then they're tight, which again points me towards 8.5.

I think I'm just over analyzing.

Edit: Insert gesticulating Giuliani here.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  2. aero25

aero25 Well-Known Member

Pretty much my experience as well. They were pretty tight on me, but stretched out after 2-3 wears and are now very comfortable. That first wear was brutal, though. I have them in my 65 last size, when I tried a half size larger I was slipping out of them.

3. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

I am a 10c in a 65 last, my Strandmocks r 9 1/2 D. Not too loose when laced tight. Very little V gap if any, but quite comfortable nonetheless.

1 person likes this.
  4. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

The 20% additional off of clearance did me in. Have been an incredibly well behaved weasel (for weeks)...

Ordered from Alicia, a very friendly and helpful associate at PALO ALTO (new store/grand opening/15% added discount)

1 Clearance grey Strandmok II 167
    2 Shoe Bank snuff Strandmok II $167
    3 Shoe bank Thomastown $82
    3 shoe trees

Love the fitment of the 201 lasted strandmok II and have loved them on hot days, so wanted the range of color options while available. (especially at $167 each, 1 first, 1 seconds)

5. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I don't see a store listed in Palo Alto.
    Regular retail, or Shoebank location?

6. amphillips79

amphillips79 Well-Known Member

Would the new store ship to PA if I ordered from there? $167 strandmoks sounds like a steal to me!

7. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Well-Known Member

Please delete.

8. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Some good deals there - I guess "winn" is suitable.

Have to admit, you got me a little excited when you said this was possible, until I realized one thing - I had immediately assumed anything clearance and left in the warehouse (namely the stuff that has been showing up on ebay) could be ordered this way, but if you use shoebank like the blueprint, they selectively applied the 20% off to only a select group. Hence, your 20&15 thing would only work on those. Some good stuff nonetheless, just nothing I was interested in. Definitely appreciate it though.

9. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

New retail store near Stanford (posted prematurely by another poster recently)

[​IMG]

I grabbed 2 for that price, shipped to NJ.

Wonder if they would have lowered the seconds price on second grey Strandmoks while the firsts are at 20% additional off.

Yes, there are just a few items I have been interested in - especially the strandmoks in 201 last, and grey showed up just today on clearance. This was a good sale for this 201 last-lover (3 pairs)...there was a recent sale on 65 last items that was a real heartbreaker..

10. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@ace13x - never tried the sea island, but from your description, id be hesitant on that 8D. Nevermind no socks etc. Did you try to walk fast in them without concentrating on the shoes - generally you'll slide forward when you walk - if you find yourself at all smashing into the end of the toe box, its bad news.

Are you looking at the bone? In person it's extremely light. Nice shoes, but you bump into anything or get a spec of dust on them and they'll stain.

11. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Well-Known Member

I caved in. The Neumok 2.0 is just too tempting. I currently have in my possession: Blue, Red, Green, Gray...LOL. In addition I picked up the Fifth Street boot. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Well-Known Member

Question about the Mora 2. How is the fit? I have a pair of Bourbon ones but I am concerned they are too big. AE is sending me some tongue pads? Since the Bourbon color is discontinued I thought I would try it. [​IMG]

13. roz77

roz77 Well-Known Member

Every time I think I don't need a third pair of McAllisters, I see a picture of them in Walnut and know I want a pair.

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

I have three pairs of McTavishes. I regret none of them.

15. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

The sliding forward was what I was worried about in the 8's, and why I'm thinking 8.5's (without having a pair to try before order) but I wanted to get the forums opinions. I think I'm going for it, and hope they're almost as snug as the 8's.

Olive.

16. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Three for me too. No regrets, except I don't have a fourth.

17. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Anyone have a favorite SA they like to deal with at the Paramus Shoebank store?

Might have to give them a call :smarmy:

18. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

I thought I'd share something stupid I did a few weeks ago. I was about to apply some walnut polish to my Leeds, when I squeezed the tube a little too hard and a huge blob squirted out onto the toe area of one of my shoes. I almost immediately wiped it off, but the walnut polish was very potent and left a somewhat large wet mark on the shoe. When they finally dried, the mark was still there. I applied some conditioner/cleaner on the spot and it stripped off a lot of the original color. The end result was that now one of my shoes had this ugly bright spot on the shoe. I felt like I had ruined them and of course was saddened and pissed off at myself. However, after several days of gently applying some dark brown and walnut polish, they look almost good as new again. You can't really tell that the spot is even there, but you can see a very slight mismatch between the shoes. What's the point of this story? Be careful with your polish, I warn everyone. Learn from my rookie mistake.

19. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    In recent weeks the subject of shoe stretching has been mentioned several times, so I thought I would mention my experience. My too frequently mentioned fitting problems caused me to go to the cobbler for stretching on many occasions. Each trip cost me $6 and it became obvious that I would do better on my own. The cobbler used a stretcher that increased the width of the shoe, but did nothing to raise the vamp where I always felt it was too tight. I finally determined that one can purchase both a vertical stretcher and a side to side stretcher. I purchased the vamp stretcher for $49 and I am sure you can find them at less cost. I wanted to make sure I had one where the turning mechanism was made of metal as ones made of plastic will strip the threads. The side to side model is really more useful when trying to widen the toe box area to relieve pressure off a little. You will notice the adjustable black oval that can be placed in the tightest location, such as that little toe. The vamp stretcher is on its side to show the area that raises. I also purchased a bottle of shoe stretch liquid, which use can be seen in the embedded video. I use the same procedure for both stretchers. The vamp stretcher can be purchased here. I found the side to side stretcher in a thrift store for $3.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

My feelings on this are if you don't have an instep issue on the 65, they fit (as someone else mentioned about +1/4 size overall (possibly +1/2 as far as volume in toe box). If you do have an instep issue on the 65 the effect is like going up 1/2 without the actual extra length. (i.e. an 8D 201 fits like an 8.5D 65 as far as your instep). Though, to me, the 201 has a slightly narrower profile towards the tip giving it the visual appearance of being longer.

My best fit on the 65 is 8E (since I'm a D+ with a moderately high instep), but I can wear and 8D in the 201, and the instep result falls right in-between 8D and 8E on the 65. If I go 8.5D on the 65 then I get a similar result as the 8D 201 in the instep, but then the length is a bit too much.

All that said, Strandmok 2.0 = 201 + suede + dainite and thats an odd bird when it comes to fit compared to my other shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.