1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Well-Known Member

That is the first time I have actually seen a picture of the brown. Is it similar to the Rush Street? I actually like this one better.

2. bkdc

bkdc Well-Known Member

I wear 7.5 EEE in Allen Edmonds, and even this is too narrow for my ultra-wide feet. I have yet to meet an off-the-rack shoe that fits reasonably without compromise except for an Alden Modified last in 7 EEE size in a blucher (not balmoral). Even this has the arch in a slightly too posterior position. No European/Italian maker is going to accomodate my super-wide foot. My unusual foot must be 4 sigmas away from average.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  3. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Did you do anything to the toe caps on those? The color under the brown burnish is a lot lighter on mine.

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Are you sure? I'm telling you Enzo Bonafe is worth a look. AE's shoes run narrow. I wear 10.5 EEE in AE but 10.5 E in Alden. My Enzo chukkas on the 946 last are in 10 UK H (F is standard), and they're perfectly wide enough in two dimensions. The reason they don't fit better is that instep is SUPER steep.

Additionally, for a very modest up charge, you can have Enzo make you a custom last to your measurements, including feathering beyond H width. If you're interested, get in touch with Lorenzo at Solegarb. I'm getting a custom last made through him for some boots.

And then, at some point, getting a custom pair from a real custom artisan like Meccariello begins to look like an excellent value, compared to several pairs from cheaper makers that don't fit well.

5. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the positive conversation from the gentleweasels on this thread - it's largely a troll-free zone. That said, a small part of me is hoping for a flame war between you and @Lobster33 based on this comment ...

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

I love my Hopkinsons, easily the most comfortable "dress shoe" that I own from AE. The leather is so buttery and awesome.

7. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

ha! Well you know I own a pair of black Carlyle's with the new piping and it looks fine. As I said before, the dark colors look fine, it's the walnut that looks bad. That said, I would prefer they use the new piping on the casual shoes.

8. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

I agree about having a black Hopkinson. While I don't think Indy 2.0 is as good as 1.0 variants, they still are nice. My Hopkinsons are really growing on me and the 201 last is a godsend for me.

A day or two ago someone asked folks to identify shoes they wished AE made. I'd really like an Indy Fifth Ave, i.e. punchcap, but on the 201 and with a larger cap size, as they did with the Hopkinson. Are you listening @AllenEdmondsCEO ? [​IMG] Make mine brown, please.

Respectfully disagree about the Burg Cambridge. Well, actually I agree it is a bit of odd mix of characteristics, but no more so than a walnut Strand. Typical AE in that respect. But, I love mine, especially with a couple of blue flannel pinstriped suits I have.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Taking a rest while thrifting in my Fultons. The contrast stitching and eyelets thankfully gives the saddle horn leather a little pop. But oh so comfy.

[​IMG]

10. peppercorn78

Well, continuing the respectful disagreement, the Strand is a perfectly classic design that all makers sell (semi-brogue balmoral). Alden, Vass, Crockett, Edward Greem, GG, Lobb, all have versions. Dress Oxford in calfskin with a single sole.

I may be a stickler, but I think dressy oxfords should always be in calf with a single sole. :)

Now, if we're talking about clearly casual shoes like McTavish, then all bets are off.

About the piping, the following Vass and John Lobbs all resemble the "new" AE piping:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. TexasTexter

Speaking of the Hopkinsons, does anyone have any pics of the Bartlett? If you are going to get a strand is it just as good to get the Bartlett? Isn't it the same leather as the Hopkinson?

1 person likes this.
  12. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

With 9 purchases this year, I think I'm almost done with my AE rotation...at least for a little while. I know that want something in walnut and maybe also a casual shoe. I live in Upstate NY and see all 4 seasons in full effect. I work in a business casual environment in the defense industry, so really anything flies.

What would you FBWs be looking at for your next purchases if you were in my shoes?

Here's where I'm at so far:

Current Rotation:
    Black Park Aves
    Brown Shell Strands
    Merlot McAllisters
    Loden Suede Dundees
    Oxblood Daltons
    Bone Snuff Suede Maritimes

Shoes I will be selling soon:
    Brown Calf Strands (too big)
    Brown Snuff Suede Dundees (too big)
    Brown First Ave's (too big but kind of works with thick socks. I might keep these)

13. TexasTexter

Maybe a Bartlett in Walnut? Something in midnight blue!

1 person likes this.
  14. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd go Park Ave. in black and get the Corwallis in Chili - they look freakin' amazing in chili...

My $0.02

15. skriefal

skriefal Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the Rush Street in person. But it does look very similar in photos. They even have the same Dianite sole, differing only in color (orange for the Strandmok, black for the Rush Street).

16. skriefal

skriefal Well-Known Member

No, this is how I purchased them from AE. There does seem to be a great degree of variance in the burnishing of the toe from pair to pair.

17. Lobster33

Ah, so now I see what AE is trying to achieve - these look fine. They aren't quite there yet.

1 person likes this.
  18. peppercorn78

Agreed, but also keep in mind that AE produces as many shoes in one day as Vass does in a year, so at that kind of volume, it's just not possible to spend the same amount of time on each pair.

I like where they're going, though, and Paul's commitment to not standing still and collecting dust and mold (cough Alden cough).

19. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Which is all the more reason why they should be going back to the old piping, which looked perfectly fine despite whatever production volume issues may be at hand.

And, as others have pointed out, the disconnect between what Paul has said about trying to play to the "casual" fans and the actual usage patterns of the new piping (heavily used on more formal shoes, notably absent from casual styles) is curious.

20. Lobster33

I always appreciate companies that are not afraid to try to new things. And I guess you have to accept the difference between a $300 shoe and a $1000 shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.