1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

So my bourbon Daltons showed up today and I'm MORE than happy with them. Was a little apprehensive as the bourbon color seems to be a little more inconsistent, from what I can gather, than other AE colors, but these look great! They're 2nds, so a few small imperfections, but for $197 they're a steal IMO.

However.......these guys are squeaking like a mofo. Certainly, this will go away as they get broken in with time, but any suggestions in terms of treatments that might help push it along a little bit? Saphir Renovateur? Bick 4? I also have AE conditioner. I've heard some people say that the bourbon color is a little more sensitive to discoloration than other AE colors, so I'm trying to be extra cautious about not doing anything to screw the color up.

2. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

Judging by the pics, these don't get much love around here but these are my absolute favorites..

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. AdironDoc

AdironDoc Member

Finally decided to see for myself why people love their AEs. Now I know. Last month I got 2 pair of seconds. One was to be for khakis and slacks, the others, for jeans. I actually wear them both with slacks or jeans and find they both work for business casual. Interestingly, the McGregors were roomy and super comfy right out of the box. The McTavish, on the other hand, fit quite snug and rubbed a bit with thin dress socks. They loosened up now but being unlined, I still find MTs are not quite as comfortable as the MGs. Same size, same last. Go figure. Anyway, can't wait to go summer sockless with MTs. I've lost count how many compliments I've gotten from complete strangers but I'd say more the MTs. Maybe its the bold contrast stitching combined with the layered brogue look. Anyway, I'm loving them! Was considering a pair of Daltons but there were no sales. I snapped up a pair of Grenson Freds in calfskin. Completely different look and feel. Big, chunky, roomy. A bit more like a construction boot. I'm thinking, maybe I should have stuck with the Daltons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    My walnut First Avenues arrived. With a little snow on the ground, I had a good opportunity to wear them.
    I think they're great!

3 people like this.
  5. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

They look very nice. Does this walnut look darker than in the past like some folks have been reporting? I always imagine it being a much lighter color.

Sadly I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I have serious fit problems with mine. I just emailed my store about them, I'm hoping they have some suggestions. I think I've worn them a bit too much to return at this point. Sadly it usually takes me too long to realize when when my shoes don't fit.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Sorry if this a repost (silly mobile). Bob's Chili MKEs from the road Warriors collection. Probably my least worn AEs.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I just got my Clark Street shoes in the mail today and I'll have to return them because the split toe on the left shoe is not straight like the right one. Sadly I dont think they have anymore my size. It's a shame too because I really wanted to like these shoes.

8. mreams99

These looked lighter before I added some brown polish.

9. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

These have always (and always will) get love from me. Actually my most complimented shoe so far.

10. Jaded Hedonist

Jaded Hedonist New Member

Just receibef an email about a brand new AE outlet store opening in Paramus,NJ, today.

The announcement says grand opening savings on any full priced AE branded shoes, belts or accessoriesat the new store.

Anyone know what this discount is?

11. sruchris

sruchris Well-Known Member

A few days ago a became excited when a pair of like-new black Bayfields in my size hit ebay. As a boot fan, of course I bid and won. The boots arrived today. Unlike my Daltons, which pinch, these fit perfectly. As I was celebrating, it hit me...... I don't have anything to wear with them and don't know how to wear these without looking like a 13yr old dressing up for Easter Sunday. My workplace dress code is casual; jeans, chinos, sweaters, dress shirts, etc.... Any ideas?

[​IMG]

12. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

If you're able to get a Rutledge, jump on it!
    In my experience, the 333 is longer than the 65, has more width across the ball of the foot and the toes, has less volume above the toes, but has more volume overall. An 11D in the 333 is perfect for me, as is the 108. I have to go up to 11E in the 65, which gives me too much room in the heel and too much volume above the toes. Curiously, I still have a bit more v-gap in the wider 65s than in the 333.

Aesthetically, I think the 333 is sleeker, but is still a better fit anatomically than the 65. YMMV.

Hope this helps ...

2 people like this.
  13. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

My immediate thought is olive chinos or wool pants... not sure where I'd go from there. Maybe a gray tweed jacket.

14. sruchris

sruchris Well-Known Member

Thanks. Olive chinos, black jeans and gray wool pants. I forgot how hard it is to wear black shoes casually!

15. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Badass black boots can be worn with jeans or chinos and a sweater. I'd avoid dress shirts without a sweater or jacket. And I wouldn't wear wool trousers with them, but that's me. Black and white herringbone jacket if you want to dress it up.

16. mreams99

This was probably the best $38.50 (plus shipping) that I've ever spent.
    Hypothetically.

4 people like this.
  17. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

Bick 4 worked for me with the exact same issue. A couple of coats inside and out after the first couple of wears. Love the bourbon color! I haven't had any discoloration with Bick, but black or bourbon polish will work to restore if needed.

Bonus tip: tie the laces very tight when you're not wearing them to train the side panels to lay flat.

1 person likes this.
  18. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

More roomy than the 97 - holy cow. Based on that I have to say my answer is either 1.) I have no idea or 2.) A balmoral on the 333 will probably bother you just as much. The 97 toebox is significantly narrower than the 65 or 333 so the fact that you like it more means it's just a better shaped last for you all around, making it difficult to either recommend or not recommend the 333.

In the absence of the 97 comment, the 333 definitely runs roomier than the 65 (comparing same size, apples to apples). As far as balmoral 333 (vamp / arch fit) - I found it better than the 65, but if you hate the 65 bal fit, my guess is you won't like the 333 bal fit either.

19. K2793

K2793 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

New college grad to the workforce, entering public accounting. Big fan of AEs and was wondering if anyone could give me input on what models to go for next.

I have Black PAs, Dark Brown PAs, and Bourbon Strands. Only wearing the Black PAs for formal events - have been rotating the Dark Brown PAs and Strands, however the Dark Browns are somewhat formal imo and maybe a bit darker than I originally preferred, after thinking about them now that I've owned for a while and been wearing them to work.

My dress code is professional business casual, dress shirt and a slacks - don't need a suit or tie. I typically wear nice navy/charcoal slacks for bottoms.

I was thinking of going for Fifth Aves - but can't decide between Brown, Bourbon, or Chili. Not sure if the Fifth Ave Brown is just as dark as the Dark Brown PAs. Also not sure if I should get two pairs of shoes in Bourbon, and then for Chili I just don't know if it's versatile enough as some of the pictures I have seen look quite red.

Definitely want to throw another pair into my rotation, just looking for a versatile suggestion. Is the Fifth Ave the way to go, and if so what color do you think? Open to any other recommendations as well. Cheers

1 person likes this.
  20. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

While you're on the subject of the 1st ave - would you be able to compare the fit against a blucher on the 65 & 201? I have the Freiburg and Sauk Drive - the Freiburg isn't bad if I use heavy socks and lace it as tight as possible but it's a little loose still. The Sauk, with more eyelets and more ability to go tighter, is obviously better. The 1st ave uses speedhooks towards the top, so I was thinking fewer eyelets would mean a looser fit - was looking for a yay or nay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.