1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Anyone out there an 8D in the 65 last.

2. facet

facet Well-Known Member

I am

3. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

I can be, depending on the shoe...

4. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

It's incredibly minor in person- more of my concern with seconds is actual structural issues with the leather or fit problems. A small amount of striping I can deal with. Also, I brushed them after I took the pic, and it lessened it even more- this was straight out of the box, and there was some light dust on it that needed taking care of.

Fwiw, if I bought them as firsts, its not bad enough that I would complain about it

1 person likes this.
  5. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

If it's at the CAC the guys at the Port Washington shoe bank should be able to take a look at it (maybe not RIGHT away, but they're right next to it). Regardless of where a second is located, if I want it, I call Chris at the Port Washington shoe bank and order it through him. I've ordered numerous pairs that were physically at the CAC like this and none of them have been bad. I got a pair of Universities in this week (RIP 333 last, your life was too short) that were at the CAC and the only flaw on them is that they're ever so slightly creased from being tried on.

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    You really do have to obtain information by being sized in the store and then trying on multiple pairs. You will need to make sure that you try some shoes with a closed lacing and others with an open lacing. You also need to remember that the overall width of the foot is only one of the parameters. More importantly, in my experience, is the overall volume of the front of the foot. You may find that the shoe is perfectly wide but the vamp is either too narrow or excessively wide. It's always a combination of all of the various parameters. And that is why everyone will urge you to make sure that you try on the actual shoes rather than just relying upon the measurement of the width and length of your foot.

7. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Nice! Good score. But man, your OCD game is weak :) We get people in here complaining about loose threads on the welt.

8. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

I would say that your arch is pretty flat.

9. orange fury

Boardrooms today:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. MattRiv

Nordy Anniversary Sale starts today:

Shoes for $259

Strand - Walnut, Black
    Park Ave - Black, Brown
    Carlyle - Black, Brown, Walnut
    McAllister - Black, Walnut
    Cornwallis - Dark Chili

Belts:
    Wide Dress Belt for $73 in black brown or walnut
    Manistee for $80 - Black, brown and walnut

Other shoes:
    Bainbridge for $199
    Urbino Tassel Loafer $230
    Cavanuagh $179.90 - Black, Walnut

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    3 people like this.
  11. orange fury

Those dark chili Cornwallis are gorgeous...

12. MattRiv

I agree. Too bad they look so much like these brown saddle Vernons I have on today.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

I have 8.5E Dundees that I bought a while back before I understood my sizing and are they too big even with thick socks. I've also tried on a pair of 2nd shell Dundees, however they did not allow me to properly lace them due to low eyelets and they also felt a bit loose.

It was difficult to get an accurate read on the fit but I do think that 8E is my best shot. They definitely felt a bit larger than new Daltons yet to be broken in but they fit similarly to broken in Daltons. The ability to tighten up all the Dalton laces does also help made them fit snugly.

14. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

Just tossing this back out there if anyone thinks this will lead to an actual tear through the leather. Again it isn't visible at all because its on the inside and down right at the welt. Thanks for the input!

15. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

If you have the lace the 8E daltons tightly to make them fit well, try 8D next time on the 511.

16. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

When you do this, does he have it brought to him so he can look at it before it is sent out? I haven't found a SA that was willing to have it shipped to their store to look at it beforehand whether it be coming from another shoebank or from CAC. My experience ordering directly from CAC has been that they are in bad shape. I'm pretty sure thats where all the returns go so you are seeing some that have been rejected by many people in some cases.

17. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

I have to tighten the laces due to my heel/ankle area being loose. The ball is actually quite snug on the 8E.

18. MattRiv

It's hard to tell based on the pic. I would think not unless it is sliced pretty far into the leather. Might make some sense to take it to a local cobbler to get his advice.

19. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

I'll see if I can take a better one, I know it was pretty poor I'm not sure exactly how far it has cut through. Cobbler might not be a bad idea either.

20. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

@MattRiv Ok the photos below are probably the best you will be able to see in a photo. It looks to me like the cut is through the finished grain part but not all the way through. You wouldn't see it at all otherwise. I think I'm inclined to keep them at $199...unless others think this could be a major future issue. Also BBs has the football grain looking ones on sale and those also call to me despite not being dainite which is something I want for the rainy jeans days.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.