1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markus N

Markus N Member

Hi all,

My first contribution to this thread - a line up of my current AE collection.

[​IMG]

From left to right:
    Dalton, Park Ave, Ardsley Park, Carlyle, some suede LWB - dunno what it's called, Shelton and finally Gridiron.
    All in 10.5 EEE but for the Carlyle in 10 EEE.

5 people like this.
  2. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

Last workday before July 4th, so I'm being thematically appropriate:
    [​IMG]

I did want to ask about bowing though, this is going on on the right shoe:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've gotten lucky and never had bowing happen with any of my AE's- does this look like too much? I'm not sure what is considered acceptable- it still fits well (not loose), I just don't want it to become a bigger issue down the road.

2 people like this.
  3. tkebh979

tkebh979 Well-Known Member

For those who wish for a mid-brown, blucher, shell wingtip at what I anticipate to be near AE shell prices... unspoiler the below:

Whisky Shell Crockett & Jones for Polo Ralph Lauren Marlow Wingtip GMTO currently taking expressions of interest. With the GBP-USD spread at a generational low, C&J shell is roughly comparable with AE "stock" shell in price. Here's a photo of the shoe in Dark Brown Shell:

[​IMG]

Price TBD, but similarly spec'd shoes have been recently priced at 500 GBP + 30 GBP shipping to US. Call that ~$705 as of 8am Central US time on July 1 2016.

Use the GMTO Google Spreadsheet to signup, and please PM me for more info. We are aiming for 12. In an effort to keep the focus of this thread on AE Appreciation, please do not quote or reply to this w/in this thread. Thanks for looking.

If not, keep calm and carry on. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  4. tkebh979

Those look perfectly festive. Great pickup!

Re: bowing... it looks like you have a combination of this and v-gap. If they were mine, I'd keep them. I'd probably pull them out a couple times a year on your more patriotic holidays (Memorial, Veteran's, Labor, Independence, and heck, Flag Days) and wouldn't care about the fit so much as getting the compliments on having something unusual.

I like these as a golf shoe as well (genius recommendation by AE ad), but it's hard for me to stomach $200 for a golf shoe that will take a bit of a beating.

btw... I'm sure you didn't intend to troll Canadians on Canada Day, guy?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  5. orange fury

The v-gap isn't as bad as it looks- I can actually pull it tighter, but my feet tend to be more swollen in the morning- it'll be tighter by midday. I plan on wearing them often during the summer though, not just holidays, so that's why I was concerned about the bowing. Didn't realize that today was Canada Day lol

6. orange fury

It's better when I tighten them, but still:
    [​IMG]

7. tkebh979

I saw that, and said, "meh."

Keepers. [​IMG]

8. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

Try a different lacing style like criss-cross. Pretty casual style so (in my opinion) bar lacing isn't required unless thats just what you prefer. I don't usually use that type of bar lacing when my v-gap doesn't close. I either go regular straight bar or criss cross. YMMV. Look good either way!

9. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Ooo, you got one of the old Walnut Carlyles with the old piping. Excellent.

10. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Even the Independence line shoes don't have piping anymore. Absurd. At least the Strand still has it.

11. Lobster33

You know, I actually don't think it looks terrible on the black shoes. I haven't seen a merlot Hopkinson in person yet, so I can't comment on merlot. But the black Carlyle's I saw didn't look too bad. It's the walnut color that looks really rough with the new piping in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  12. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago, a few of us were speculating about what the "Exchange Place" shoe would be when seconds started to appear on the Shoebank while there was no apparent source for firsts. Most of us, including me, assumed it would be something that AE was making for one of its retail partners (Nordstrom, Harry Rosen, etc.). The Exchange Place is now available on the main AE website. It looks like they intend it to be a modern version of the PA on a different last (1943) that might work for people who have problems with the 5 last.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...exchange-place-cap-toe-dress-shoe/SF5015.html

1 person likes this.
  13. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

What is the "new piping" you're talking about? There's no piping, just a cosmetic stitch running where the piping used to begin.

14. Lobster33

Someone on here pointed out it was really small piping. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it needs to go the way of the black leather insole.

15. RTD1

RTD1 Well-Known Member

Anyone else see the email with the #ALLENEDMONDSRDA #CONTEST?

Looking forward to doing battle.

I'm sure they're going to wonder why all these pictures have watches and coffee cups in them though.

6 people like this.
  16. orange fury

I really, really like that...

17. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

I posted some close ups of my Hopkinsons about a month ago, here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The piping is small and there is some rough looking leather ends on the outside of it. IMO it doesn't really change the look of the shoe too much. I don't really notice it because my pants cover the top and my v-gap closes so you don't see it there either.

1 person likes this.
  18. Lobster33

That doesn't look bad at all.

Compare yours to this and tell me this doesn't look bad:

[​IMG]

19. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Probably the difference between the standard calf and the Indy line leather.

20. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

It is more noticeable on lighter colors for sure but I also think there is a little greater care taken on the indy line which also contributes to the hopkinson looking better. Additionally I think the hopkinson is a better option than the new exchange place of course it costs more. I haven't purchased anything on the 1943 last but every time I look at it I feel it is just too square. Might look differently on my feet than the photos but its the reason I haven't bought the cornwallis. I also would prefer 6 eyelets vs 5 eyelets that is showing on the exchange place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.