1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

Actually no, but I get why you asked. These replaced another pair I had some fit issues with, and were noticeably more bourbon-y than the original pair. This was around the time they phased out bourbon, and this forum noted that walnut got darker around that time; my experience is consistent with that. They are still a bit lighter than my bourbon Daltons, but were about where I wanted walnut to end up. I'll probably maintain them with bourbon and neutral polishes.

2. firefit

firefit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Since I knew this thread dealt with sizing, I'm going to repost with a picture and see if you guys could possibly help me out.

This was the Allen Edmonds sizing sheet that I had founded recently on a website.
    I assume it was produced by Allen Edmonds as I see they used to have a sizing sheet up a long time ago.
    From this chart, and yes, I have REALLY wide feet.
    It says I should go with a 9.5 3E, but I would like your guys input, and this isn't after I went walking for a while, so they are not expanded, and I'm pretty sure I can't get any bigger than a 3E.
    Thank you guys

EDIT: Due to my lack of options/resources, I can't really make a trip all the way to an Allen Edmonds shop in Florida.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  3. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Hey man,

The advice I give to anyone with sizing questions is to 1) read up online on how to understand the readings of a brannock device (link:https://brannock.com/pages/instructions-fitting-tips), then 2) go to any shoe store or store that sells shoes (belk, macy's, nordstrom, payless, literally any place that sells shoes) and take pictures just like the one you posted of the readings for both feet on a brannock. Come back to us with your readings and pics as well as information like you have a high arch or low arch and then we can try to guide you on what size/lasts might work for your foot.

Also, for further reading, here's @Neo1 's detailed fit guide that describes how the different lasts fit. http://www.styleforum.net/a/allen-edmonds-fit-sizing-help

P.S. Damn you got some wide feet.

2 people like this.
  4. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

Based on your sizing and width, I would recommend you find/buy a pair in eee with a blucher lace as opposed to the closed balmoral laces. Preferably this would be in a larger last such as the 678 or 511. If they fit, you can explore other shoes built on the other lasts. If they are too narrow, you may have to go up in length since AE does not do eeee. If that does not work you will likely be restricted to the very few companies that make shoes in eeee widths, such as Alden. I am sure there are others, but Alden will be the better choice for quality if you have to go to eeee. You may also check out the forum thread for wide feet for advice.

1 person likes this.
  5. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Absolutely follow the advice of @MattRiv and @smfdoc . I particularly would emphasize trying a blucher on the 511 like a Leeds in 9.5EEE or even 10EEE (the 511 is not as long as other AE lasts like the 65, 201 etc.), if you feel that your feet swell a lot by the end of the day.

Ultimately, the shoe on your foot will be the best test. Remember if an AE store is not an option, you can order online and return. If you don't want to tie up a lot of money, you can pick up a 9.5EEE Leeds or 10EEE Malone from the ShoeBank right now for $137 and then return for $10 restock fee. Just try them out on a carpeted surface. That $10 investment may save you quite a bit of time and money in the long run.

6. firefit

Yeah, it's pretty wide. My parents used to call me Monkey feet. I'll definitely be doing that as soon as it stops raining over here (I bike) & I had looked into Neo1's guide, but when it comes to purchasing a used shoe on ebay, and his guide does list that "some people find it too wide" and "some people find it too narrow" but I really need to know for sure if it is wider than another last. I want to make sure it compliments my foot size/width, and over time looks even better.

Will definitely look into Alden also.

7. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@firefit Not sure what kind of styles you're looking for, but in addition to all the MiA Sea Islands, seems like NR is also loaded with the Mojave webgems - id recommend trying one of those - worst case is you return it to the store. Little on the very casual side but I think the chances of you getting one to work are high.

After thinking a little more, also would consider the following - odenwald, duke (not in a D), Boone, Arezzo.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  8. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Busy day yesterday so I forgot to post my Walnut Wednesday pic. (Color is slightly lighter IRL.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. colco

colco Well-Known Member

New Bloor Streets

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

Maiden Voyage of the shell Strand factory seconds that I picked up from the current Tent Sale. Now that I've worn them outdoors, I guess that means I'm keeping them!

The natural sunlight really brings out a certain depth of color that is not visible under florescent office lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

Chili Byrons also work well on Thursday.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. firefit

Referring to the actual styles, I am deeply in love with the Strand and Mcallister, but unfortunately they fall under the common last which if I downsized it by 1/2 the likeliness of getting a good fit on a 3E seems very unlikely. Will be going to get my foot measured with the Brannock device soon. Thanks all!

13. robster35

robster35 Well-Known Member

Strands? did u use polish ? they look a bit darker than mine. love the shoelaces

14. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

I believe they are discontinued Rush Streets. Love the look of them, wish I could find them in my size but alas they and the eglin eluded me.

15. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

The second sexiest shoe, behind oxblood Warwick imo. It's my Friday today and work just needs to end
    [​IMG]

16. middlepP

@robster35 - as @M2511 mentioned, these are the Rush Streets in golden brown. Basically the cxl/dainite cousin of the Strand. I found this make-up gives me a little more versatility over a walnut strand.

I hope you are enjoying your new Strands. FYI... I prefer using neutral polish rather than AE's walnut. Better yet, I have found that a little Meltonian cognac, or even AE's bourbon or dark brown, really helps tone down and add depth to AE's walnut.

17. middlepP

Working at home today, so much more casual than yesterday. Navy CXL and denim!

Crazy how different these Kirks fit compared to the Nordy/USA made Sea Islands. These are 9B (my 5-last is 9D; 9D might have been best in these but I was attempting to control for volume, knew the cxl would give slightly, and wear them with thin no-show socks), yet there was NO way I could make 9.5D work in the Sea Island, even knowing the suede would stretch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Gutter736

Gutter736 Member

Finally wearing the Glasgow loafers I picked up at Goodwill. I fixed the heel and threw a quick coat of polish on them (they certainly need some more work). These aren't marked as seconds (no little boot on the bottom) but I'm thinking maybe they didn't do that back when these were made? I did notice that the piping on the left shoe is a little cooked near the toe. Like I said, not a loafer guy so I am struggling to decide if I like these or not. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dd1101

Dd1101 Well-Known Member

One of my favs and oldest AEs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. AllenEdmonds

AllenEdmonds Member

We added a couple more requested items for shoebank.com:

1. Selection by Sole. We are still playing with the data behind the site, but its 90% complete
    2. You can enter a style name to reduce your search.
    3. We added a reset form button.
    4. As previously noted we added inventory by store selection.
    5. We clarified the pricing during sale periods by having the previous price crossed out and the sale price displayed.
    6. We expanded the number of items viewed per page selection. We are still playing with this one.
    7. We corrected some of the performance issues we were seeing.

We are still looking at expanding the category selections.

Thank you,

20 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.