1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

I appreciate you taking some time to respond. The biggest hazard I'm dealing with is nails and paint, etc (not like construction work). I've read the Freiburg has a double leather sole, but I don't know what kind of insole it has (regular leather?). It also appears to have a rubber tread which might provide more protection. I also am aware it's on the 201 last, which would be new for me. But for $107, I don't feel like it's much to lose, and I know I won't have to worry about comfort and support with AE.

2. armedferret

armedferret Well-Known Member

Have you thought about the Sturgis? They're essentially a Wolverine 1000-mile with a lug sole (more or less). I *LOVE* mine; they're my go-to for recent wet-weather ridiculousness we've had in the DC/MD/VA area (seriously, like a friggin MONTH of rain and now tropical storms on the way). Plus i've managed to get more than a few scuffs here and there on 'em....clean right up with a wipe of Doc Marten's or other beeswax-based conditioner. I think they're around 150-ish on clearance now, although sizes tend to be a bit more sparse now than they were a month ago.

Edit, because #picthread :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. DustinM

DustinM Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for all helpful input!

To answer some questions:
    1) Both 5 last shoes are new. I put them in shoe trees as soon as received. The McTavishs are 2nds which might explain some of the issue as they likely sat on a shelf for a while.
    2) I was fitted on a brannock at Nordstrom. I'm in Los Angeles and the closest AE retailer is ~90 mins away in Orange County. The more I think about it, this may be the best approach as opposed to sending shoes back and forth in a trial-and-error fashion. The only challenge is my wife and I have a 2 month old baby so it may be tough to get down there. [​IMG]

Nordstroms in my area don't seem to stock many size/width combinations and I can go back and get another look on the brannock but that may not do much good overall. I did find some simple tests you can do online to see if you have flat feet (never considered this before).

Similarly, would appreciate any recommendations if anyone is familiar with retailers in the San Fernando Valley or Conejo Valley that are suited for a proper fitting.

4. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

thanks guys. I'll call later today and find out my options. Do the Freiburg and Rothsay have a poron insole or leather insole?

6. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

Nice gunboats. That color looks really good with the Khaki.

7. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

Freiburgs are leather. I've never seen Rothsays in person, but the description says that they have a "poron foam tongue and collar" and a padded insole.

1 person likes this.
  8. whodey14

whodey14 Well-Known Member

You're on to something

1 person likes this.
  9. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

I've heard that if you sleep with your shoes on, you break them in faster. YMMV.

3 people like this.
  10. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

So did anyone wear their Overlords for D-Day?

1 person likes this.
  12. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

13. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

Does the Shoebank usually adjust prices in line with sales? Or can you call to get an adjustment?

In this case, the Father's Day Sale. I just saw the email with Maritimes, etc., on sale for $125, which is now the same price as the Shoebank.

I would assume those prices would now be lower for them to move back inventory, but I know what happens when you assume.

14. whodey14

whodey14 Well-Known Member

I've wondered the same. I asked a sa once and she gave me an unusual response. "Thats the rare time it makes more sense to get firsts." Obviously not verbatim and as usual ymmv. This was in reference to the 5a sale.

15. pbrandes

pbrandes Well-Known Member

New burgundy shell 5th Ave. So far only worn lightly around the house, today will be their maiden voyage in the wild. They've also done some sunbathing for the past week, which has lightened the color from (shots below before and after).

BTW, a big thank you to the regular weasels on this site, the information here has been invaluable, and the overall supportive atmosphere is very much appreciated. I wish all discussion boards were this civil!

Cheers,
    Philip

[​IMG]

after catching some rays:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

17. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

That does seem unusual. Thank you for the insight.

18. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

General AE question. For the Independence line AE gives the shoes premium treatment, including wheeling on the sole and I think it's a softer sheep skin insole. My question is, when purchasing Shell Cordovan shoes, either via the regularly stocked shell options, or via their MTO program, shouldn't they give the premium treatment to those shoes as well? I mean when dropping $650 or more on shoes, I would expect the absolute highest level of premium available from that manufacturer. (For example, when Meermin offers shell shoes, it automatically gets their Linea Maestro treatment.). It doesn't make sense that the shoes we purchase for 495 (i.e. Independende line) have premium characteristics that the 650 shoes don't.

19. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

I was at an outlet store this past Saturday and specifically asked about that to a store manager. I was told that the seconds price is also $125. However, I do like your reasoning :)

20. pbrandes

pbrandes Well-Known Member

Yes, got these through the "any current style in shell" quasi-MTO program, which as I understand it is still in effect, though there may be some styles or sizes that can't be done. In general, I was told that if a last exists for it, it's probably do-able.

I'm happy with how these turned out, but it did take a couple of months so it requires a high tolerance for delayed gratification :)

- Philip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.