1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

The 1776 is made to order, so even if there are a few seconds, the chances are pretty slim that you'll see one in your size.

2. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Well-Known Member

Absolute keep.

3. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Found a pair of discontinued Allen Edmonds Burke Loafers in the whiskey color in my size at Nordstrom Rack for $140. It's a unique color that I've never seen before in AE shoes. On the website these had good and bad reviews. IMO they look way better than the Cavanaugh. I actually like them and they look like firsts since they don't have the "seconds" stamp at the bottom. Anyone have any experience with this model? What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  4. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with the Burke. If they fit, and you like them, that seems like a great price.

5. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

The TL;DR version: blue Kirkwoods!

[​IMG]

The longer version:

Dropped by the Park Place Atlanta store today for casual shoe try-ons with Carl. Was glad to see him (and Cody) since we came up empty last summer, unsuccessfully trying to fit into suede Gobis. After brief discussion, we went with my 5-last size. Also, I was wearing some white ankle socks that I think are not very thick. Not sure if I can really do the sockless thing!

First up was a Bone Maritime. I love this color. Fit on this specimen was tight. I was surprised at how little room there was across the top of my foot while fitting it into the shoe. It was tight around my toes, too. This shoe is definitely shorter than any 5-last shoe I have, and I felt it at the very back of my foot as well. There was not another one in this color to try on (first bite by the minimal-stock policy!)

Next we switched to the Brown Kirkwood. Much better fit length-wise; was not feeling the pinch at the back of my foot. Easier to slide my foot in, but snug enough not to go anywhere while I walked. Seemed to be bowing/excess room around the foot opening, much like @cc808314 was mentioning a few pages back. Overall, a solid choice, but I was really trying to avoid getting another brown shoe today.

Next was a Tan Suede Maritime for comparison's sake. Did I mention I was trying to avoid brown shoes? It was definitely worth it though, because it fit much better than the first one. Enough to convince me the Maritime could work.

On second thought, let's try a Blue Kirkwood. Those are not brown, right? These fit just even better than the brown ones, and have a smaller foot opening, so less extra room there. Carl said this pair had never been tried on, so perhaps that made the difference? They also had some bloom going. Crazy. Didn't know CXL did that!

We took it into CEO Paul sockless direction with a Sea Island try on next (because of the large batch that dropped at the Nordstrom Rack site). It's definitely a nice suede material. When they say it's an unconstructed shoe, they mean it! There's nothing to hold it up and the top of the shoe sagged down a bit near my toes. It was very light and soft, almost slipper-like. And the butyl sole was really slick on the store carpet! Watch out!

Tried to check one last loafer: an Addison. I thought this was a rough leather collection shoe. It seems stiff, but the outside felt like it had a very slight suede-like nap to it. We were foiled by the minimal-stock policy again. Carl had sold the lone 10D this week and it hadn't yet been replaced. I was out of options.

Decision time: I was walking out with the Blue Kirkwoods today, but what about the Maritimes? The want-it-now in me said just grab the brown ones, but I really could picture myself wearing the Bone ones. We joked about trying for a green one for a moment, but then it hit me -- just order another pair of Bone and have them shipped to the house! No risk to try for the fit.

And with that, I whipped out the Amex. 2 x $125 qualifies for the $50 bonus, too. Well played. [​IMG]

Oh, and Ellie liked the paper stuffed inside the Kirkwoods:

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  6. RichieP

cc,

The pair of Kirkwoods I bought today do this as well. I can get a gap to appear if I roll my foot a little, and it even happens as I walk normally. I'll have to follow the original advice I gave you: they fit and they feel good, so I won't let it bother me. Although I got mine on sale today, you made out much better than I did, price-wise!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. RichieP

One last story from today: went across the street to Nordstrom Rack. You know, just in case. Jeebus, it was depressing. No AE there in my size. Again. Sigh.

I did spot some no-show socks that were 3 for $7.97. I think I'll give these a try with my Kirkwoods and soon-to-arrive Maritimes. The ankle socks I had today were still a bit thicker than I need with boat shoes.

They have two squiggles of a little rubber grip inside the heel. I thought it was glue at first. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the follow up my friend! Enjoy your new shoes, they look great. I will get some no show socks and will test drive it. Sockless is absolutely driving me crazy. On a side note, May-June is turning out to be very stressful for my wallet.

9. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Those look very substantial. Kinda like those old-school Sebago pennys before they started making them overseas.

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Did someone say Kirkwoods (these are "golden" cxl color):
    [​IMG]

11. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Well-Known Member

After 18 wearings, the right shoe of my graysons are irritating the haglund bump on my right foot. My left doesn't have a bump.

I'm hoping a pedag heel pad on the right shoe will make things better for me. :(

12. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Cooling my heels at the car wash in Baton Rogue casual canvas and leather cap toe. Yesterday we had brush fires in Calabasas, California. I am sure you will be relieved that no Kardashian was ever in any danger. (In all honesty, I really fail to see why some people are fascinated by that family.) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    3 people like this.
  14. spizike9

spizike9 Member

Maiden Voyage of my Bourbon Strands for church today.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  15. RTD1

RTD1 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous shoes. I really wish AE would bring back Bourbon, but as an actual solid color rather than Walnut with Black shoe polish burnished on.

16. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I atribute it to empty lives due to lack of quality shoes.

1 person likes this.
  17. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

18. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

I'm a 12 B and have been watching those since they got posted. They've been up there at that price for a while, was hoping to see them come down a little.

19. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Well, it does say "Make offer." Heck, I will even make offers when that is not an option.

20. RTD1

RTD1 Well-Known Member

LWAYS make an offer if the option is available.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.