1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this as well- I've wanted the football leather AE Duke (for Brooks Brothers), but I don't want to get them if they can't be resoled.

2. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Have you seen the olive in person? I wish I had something to compare it to. Sometimes greens can be tricky for me and my timorous wardrobe choices. They would be worn mostly with khaki/blue shorts and the occasional jeans/light chinos... so surely the olive would work?

As far as recraft, I have no clue. I'd think so, but guess it depends on the type of construction.

3. Nick V.

Nick V. Well-Known Member

If you are asking about the Sea Island, any competent shoe repair can replace the soles. Instead of them being made with a Goodyear out sole stitcher like the ones AE re-craft the Sea Islands are stitched with a McKay stitcher. Much like Blake stitched. No big deal for a competent shop that is used to that machine.

1 person likes this.
  4. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Good to get an assurance from the expert!

5. middlepP

Thanks, @Nick V. !

6. cc808314

Nope, haven't seen them in person. It doesn't look too green in the pictures, so I'd imagine it will match well with jeans and light to medium colored chinos. Maybe not as versatile as brown, but still up there. I went with olive, because I just don't have anything in this color and I am loaded with various shades of browns for casual shoes.

7. cc808314

Fellow FBWs, have the Maritimes and Kirkwooda always been made on the 555 last?

8. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I have it in the Dundee (it used to be called Loden). To me its really much more of a brown. Occasionally under the right lighting a bit more green pops out, but then its more like olive drab than what I would call olive. Particularly certain fluorescent lighting.

I think the color works well with a wide range. Definitely jeans (dark and light, just about any blue).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. middlepP

As far as I know, they were on the 555 when I purchased them last year around this time.

FYI, I have them in both 9B and 9D (my 5-last size), with the 9B attempting to control the overall volume. When I tried on the Sea Island in 9D it was definitely smaller than the Kirks/Maris. The manager said it wasn't even worth trying a Sea Island 9.5D, as he could tell "this last just wasn't for my foot." I think that really meant they didn't have any 9.5Ds in stock. I've never been thrilled with my interactions at this location, so I didn't push the issue. The manager also said if the shoe sold well, that there was a possibility of a full-run of sizes coming out in the fall. I figured I'd wait and see about a 9.5C or 10B... or catch them as 2nds or deeply discounted.

I am ordering a 9D and 9.5D from NR. I'll report back on the sizing.

10. cc808314

Thanks for the info. It's a lazy Friday today, so I am taking off early to stop by AE to check out the merlot Strand and Maritime/Kirkwood. Maybe I should try the Sea Island, as I only ordered one size.

11. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

They told me if I wear an 9E on the 65 I should get an 9.5EEE for the Sea Island. Hope that helps.

12. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

bah. Saw made in USA and got excited. We sure these aren't the leftover web gems since they're different colors?

13. middlepP

These look exactly like the 2 "other" colors from the web gem from last summer, no? Wasn't the first round of these recraftable? Was that inital offering the web gem? Or were they available before that? Hmmmm... I'm now questioning what I was told via AE's chat.

http://blog.allenedmonds.com/2015/06/sockless-summer/

14. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

I suppose there is an off chance that there was a giant supply they are releasing a year later from that webgem. Truthfully you will find out once they land on your doorstep. One way or another.

15. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Sigh.....AE's main website has 6 shoes in Merlot for Father's day. I don't wear loafers, so down to 4. All four are balmoral laced and on the 65 last. This clearly works for many people, but not for me...so down to 0. BUT, there is the webgem 1776 in time for July 4th!! Alas another balmoral on the 65 last.....not that I'm bitter or anything. So, its still a 0.

2 people like this.
  16. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

I decided to try the Olive Sea Island (the brown almost looks reddish on my screen could just be my eyes). Looks like the Navy ones will have to wait. Still like the Navy Neumoks too but for me it would take away wears from the McTavish so I struggle pulling the trigger. I don't want to get to the point where I have some that get little to no use, then it really is a problem lol.

1 person likes this.
  17. middlepP

What will distinguish it from the DR made versions?

18. Grock58

Grock58 Member

I hope you are happy with yourself after seeing that pic I had to order the merlot McCallisters. My wife is going to kill me.... In a month [​IMG]

19. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this sale is not great for most people, unless you want a belt. I imagine the late June sale will be better.

Interesting how both the Park Ave and Hopkinson did not work for you.

20. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

It will say made in the USA on the insole! Tempting to pull the trigger, but I should ask my wife first. Hmm. Wondering if I should try TTS as I did with the Maritime or go down a half size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.