1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think you should call AE and see what a rep says. They might even fix them for you.

2. whodey14

whodey14 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Leeds today

1 person likes this.
  3. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Well-Known Member

Khaki McTavish Toosday for me. On a positive note, besides these being my favorite looking AE shoes I own, I wore them all day and very comfortable all day until the minute I took them off for the first time!
    #finallybrokenin
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. robster35

robster35 Well-Known Member

anyone planning on picking up anything in Merlot since that color is on sale? i know its suposed to be a purplish? color, but in todays catalog it sorta looks like dark chili

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

If the color was used on better models (read: non-65 last models) I might.

1 person likes this.
  6. armedferret

armedferret Well-Known Member

How do you get these catalogs? As many shoes as I've bought lately you'd think they would add me to the mailing list....

EDIT: Disregard, found the pdf on the website. :)

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  7. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Rats, missed out on these. Still waiting for a pair to pop up in my size somewhere.

8. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Where does one find these secret pdfs?

9. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I have recently been letting the catalogs pass by, but that blue Kirkwood is booming in today's mail. What kind of shorts/colors could I wear those with? My shorts are 90% khaki, with various color shirts.

10. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  11. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

12. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

13. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Hope this the right thread for this comment.

Lately I've been researching lots of other shoes. I'm considering branching out into other brands, but there is of course a price point I won't go over. While I like the look of Crockett & Jones and some Alden shoes, they are both pretty much out of my price range. I don't want to pay more than $400 for a pair of shoes at this moment in time. I've come to realize I'm more of fan of the British styles than the Italian. So... I've been looking into other shoes. Loake's 1880 look promising, but are they really that much different than AE? I've read conflicting information on their quality. Sanders and Sanders is another British shoe company I've looked at. Price point is okay and the quality looks good, but I've having a hard time finding styles I like, as most of their shoes are casual. Also considering Randcourt, as it would be nice to support another American company, although they are at the limit of my desired price point. I know Randcourt had a history with AE some years ago.

Everyone raves about Carmina and Meermin, but they look a little too pointy to me, almost like women's shoes. I don't doubt their quality -- I've read a lot of great feedback on Carmina, and Meermin is often talked about as being a great value for their low price. There's several other brands not mentioned I've looked into as well, but I haven't really found another brand in the less than $400 price range that seems to have the styles I want. I keep thinking that I shouldn't buy only one brand and should branch out. If anyone wants to PM me that has had experience with any of these brands I've mentioned, I'd love to hear it if you have the time. Thanks for reading. :)

14. porphyrio

porphyrio Member

I have owned shoes from all the above manufacturers except Rancourt and C & J. All of this in my experience, so take with a grain of salt.

Loake 1880 is pretty much the equivalent of AE. If you're in the US there's no real reason to give up the flexibility that AE offers you—customer service, free returns/exchanges, ability to size in store and a range of widths. Plus, Loake's export restrictions limit your options in terms of buying in the US to East Dane/Amazon and a few stores, so unless there's a style that you really like, I don't see the point.

Ditto for Sanders.

As for Meermin, you have some plus points over AE—cheaper, and channelled soles and wheeled edges are a nice touch—but you have to balance against the minuses: expensive shipping/return costs, limited range of widths, QC potentially not as good.

Carmina is going to be above $400, and you have the same problems with sizing and returns unless you live near a stockist, but they are a lot nicer than any of the others I mentioned.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

Rancourt's dress shoe collection isn't worth the price unless it's a really good sale. That's not to say that they are poorly made, just that their construction and materials are inferior to AE, but the same price.

16. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone wondered what Ascher in oxblood looks like at 5am...(worked this same shift yesterday and today feels like a truck ran me over.) Pretty much zero natural light, all flash and a sexy loafer :)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. RTD1

RTD1 Well-Known Member

Those look really nice. I have Aschers in Bourbon and they have wrinkled/creased more than any other AE shoe I have ever owned, and yes I always put shoe trees in.

18. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

Just saw that the bank has the Dalton Walnut Dainites listed for $197. Wasnt planning on adding anything new right now, but seems maybe too good to pass up as I've always wanted that shoe in walnut. Ignorant when it comes to dainite, however. Would love to hear some opinions - like it? hate it? indifferent?

19. Dd1101

Dd1101 Well-Known Member

CJ is a cut above AE, and worth the premium.
    Alden's, seem a bit over hyped but that is solely my opinion.
    Loakes 1880 are great shoes but too hard to get in the states now, and can be had on sale for $225 or so US time to time.

1 person likes this.
  20. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.