1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spizike9

spizike9 Member

Am I being too picky about these firsts that I got? I feel the person got a little carried away with the cutter. The other side isn't nearly as big.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. RTD1

RTD1 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the heel notch? I wouldn't worry about that at all.

3. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

One of each, of course! I've liked the muted colors of the new suede offerings since the blog sneak peek. I almost went to go kop a pair of these or a Kirkwood just before the Memorial Day activities. Thanks to the filthy barnweasel Father's Day sale alert, I'm glad I held off. :)

4. doomx

doomx Well-Known Member

The heels of my Kenilworth shoes are starting to peel off after a year of once every other week wear. Is this normal wear?

(For some reason I cannot upload pics from my phone)

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

The kind of wear on your heel will tell us a lot - a photo is really needed for any level of informed answer.

Also, how long do you wear them, in what kind of environment, etc.?

6. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

I'm convinced the $177 Rutledge deal so many of us got is the single best bargain -- bang for your buck -- I've been able to participate in.

Mine were pretty much perfect. A slightly misaligned tongue, which nobody can see and I can't feel when wearing them. They're comfortable, they look very good, and they're getting better with age and wear.

1 person likes this.
  7. Moose22

I have one pair where one piece of leather is lighter and shinier than on the other. Nothing fixes it. One is just a little more pourous than the other and sucks up the polish a touch more.

I don't care. Literally, nobody notices it even if I tell them my shoes don't match. They'll hem and haw and say "well, I guess..." because the caps and the throat/laces area are a great match, it's just one small section on the vamp.

So, if it bugs you, you aren't going to fix it easily. But if it's just a little bit off, nobody will notice.

8. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Well-Known Member

I have to second that. I can't imagine any use for navy formal shoes...but what do i know?

And red, white and blue shoes, or even bi-color spectators, seem like something for which I'm way too young. (I'm early middle-age.)

9. Moose22

None.

As is typical of AE, all of their sales are on shoes that don't fit. 5 last, 1943 last, all for flat footed, low instepped people. I guess also some other lasts are on sale, but I don't wear slip ons, so the loafers and boat shoes aren't for me.

I'm beginning to believe that they don't want us high-instepped folks as customers.

It was bad 6 months ago when I was offered any pair in their "regular" line and couldn't find a single pair of dark brown shoes that fit me. Every time they have a sale there's nothing 201 that I want in it, either, so this afternoon's sales catalog was just like AE pouring salt in the wounds. They never put the independence shoes on sale, else I'd have snagged a pair of Jeffersons already. That would be my Merlot choice if it were included in the sale. I'm not really willing to pay full price, considering I have yet to receive firsts that weren't flawed.

As an aside, you can't get Cordovan in anything 201, either. Probably a good thing at the price Cordovan commands, but I still like the look of those shell strands that don't fit me. I get envious when folks post nice shell strands pics.

Seriously disappointing to me. I'd love a couple of different styles to flesh out my rotation, but what AE offers I just can't squeeze my feet into them, or don't know that they're worth the cost. Give me a nice shortwing with some good color selection, and maybe make the Bartlett in Cordovan so I can splurge on MY version of the strand and I'd be considering AE again.

10. doomx

doomx Well-Known Member

http://m.imgur.com/ZbHbNg1,GGSzZW8
    I would wear them at work. My parking to office outside walk is about 3 minutes. Indoors some days I am in my feet quite a bit. I would say that I have worn these about 20 times total while the wear I described.

11. M635Guy

Hmmm...your heels look fairly beat up - do you drive a stick? Extend your feet a lot while sitting?

You're doing pretty well for heel wear - I'd be tempted to lightly brush some shoe goo in there (or some other glue that is OK for rubber and leather) and see how that works. Worst case you can get new heel pads from a cobbler pretty cheaply.

1 person likes this.
  12. Moose22

Yeah, that's not normal.

I have 2 pair that are certainly over 20 wears each, including one that had me walking to the office a mile each way, and another that I have walked a few miles in many times. Nothing like that happened to them.

13. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

Dumb question alert.

I noticed there's several pairs of the Brooks Brothers/AE Duke loafers on shoebank. I know these are made in the DR, and AE customer service confirmed that they're not eligible for recrafting, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not these could be resoled by a third party? I love the football leather and really want to get them, but since I started buying quality shoes, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of purchasing a shoe that can't be resoled.

14. M635Guy

I agree it isn't normal - I'm not 100% sure it is the shoes. (which isn't meant to be an accusation, btw)

15. Moose22

I agree. On both points -- no accusations.

I walk a lot and I'm fat, so those poor heels are taking 200 lbs. My heels are not worn like that at all.

That said, a good point was made. The backs of those shoes are a little more beat up than the backs of mine.

16. HoldenMI

I would think that AE would stand behind those. Have you called or sent pictures?

1 person likes this.
  17. HoldenMI

I drive a stick and have never had any abnormal shoe wear as a result....

18. M635Guy

I have [​IMG]

19. M635Guy

Quote:Agree I'd definitely call them. Worth it one way or another.

20. doomx

doomx Well-Known Member

I drive an automatic. I don't walk outside much in these. In general, these used to hurt my pinky toe in the beginning (I am between D and E in 65 and these are D), so they didn't get stressed much early on. I don't think I do anything crazy in my shoes in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.