1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Agreed. I know they are not recraftable, but $57 is an absolute steal.

2. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I haven't asked, but I'm sure if I did, AE would recommend the Sea Island as a Kirkwood model. That's what I was referring to. Beautiful shoe, but not $300 beautiful.

3. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

I always hit my new boots with a couple coats of Bick 4 - inside and out. Then I wear with slightly heavier socks for the first wear or two. After that they are usually good to go. My Daltons are still breaking in, but that has more to do with my big toes hugging the edge.

1 person likes this.
  4. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Mine were pretty good from the start, but a little conditioning on the gusset to help the tongue sit right sure did help. I second the hitting of the inside with some Bick 4, Lexol or AE conditioner, if you're having a hard time.

5. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

Now I think I see what you were saying. There is a big difference between a kirkwood type boat shoe with a rubber sole and nubuck uppers, and the leather soled sea island in suede from Charles F. Stead. Two completely different animals and price ranges. The Sea Island is more like a seasonal beef role Cavanaugh with better suede.

6. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

With all the recent loafer talk, I want to bring these back up. Saw these, and REALLY like them, but they had no name, and I haven't been able to find out any info on them. They may have been a MTO. Possibly a production sample??

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Anyone have a model name? or thoughts on these?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  7. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Never seen them before. I can dig them. Do you like them? If the price is good. Go for it.

8. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Would have, but I could fit 2 fingers behind my heels on those. I'm kicking myself for not getting the numbers from the inside, but thats when I got my Chocolate Daltons for $55, and I wasn't thinking clearly.

9. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Well-Known Member

What do you all do to maintain Strandmoks? Specifically blue if it makes a difference.

AE says Leather Lotion. Anything else? Or just that.

10. MattRiv

Where in the hell were you???

11. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

Now I think I see what you were saying. There is a big difference between a kirkwood type boat shoe with a rubber sole and nubuck uppers, and the leather soled sea island in suede from Charles F. Stead. Two completely different animals and price ranges. The Sea Island is more like a seasonal beef role Cavanaugh with better suede. 
    [/quote

Exactly. They have the new Maritime, but no Kirkwood...

1 person likes this.
  12. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

New Jersey. [​IMG]

MJM (a BCF company), and I rounded off. It was actually $53.99. [​IMG]

Edit: I also found 5 other pairs of Daltons sub $60, but they were 5.5EEE and 6EEE. Should have bought them and put them on yahoo.jp

13. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

I have, and love, the bourbon Daltons. No personal experience with oxblood Daltons, but for my preferred use (jeans or business casual), bourbon is about right.

However, if you are on the fence between bourbon and walnut, you can have both! Bourbon is walnut-dyed leather with black burnishing. If you get bourbon and decide you don't like it, you can strip the burnishing (renomat recommended) and hit with a coat of walnut polish. Voila - discounted walnut Daltons. If you place too high a premium on your time to make this worthwhile, a cobbler can probably do the same for far less than the price difference.

14. MattRiv

No clue what those acronyms are. And size 5 & 6? Could I buy them and send them back to AE to be recrafted to an 11?

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

I own Quoddys and Rancourts and these AE made in DR shoes can certainly hold their own (Sorry!). Get some. Pretty sure that they use Horween leathers on all of them. I already have my Kirkwoods or I would be picking some up.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. jet-stream

I had the exact same issue with Strands in 11D, though I may have had slightly less room in the heel. I had a great AE CS experience, which I detailed on the last thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/...eviews-pictures-sizing-etc/69285#post_8265755
    This was with firsts rather than seconds, but I don't expect that should make a difference . . .

EDIT: I should note that I got a bit lucky with the specific pair of 11E's that I got as replacements. There is sample variation from one pair to another, and I got a pair that was like an 11D in the heel and overall volume, and an 11E in the toebox. May be worth it to try a couple of samples to really dial it in . . .

1 person likes this.
  17. jet-stream

My post from 10 Jan 2016:

In the spirit of AE appreciation, I'd like to offer a couple of anecdotes about AE's superior customer service:

(1/2) My first pair of AE shoes were walnut Strands (surprising, I know). I had initial qualms about the fit but got fitted multiple times and assured that 11D was the size for me and that the toebox tightness would resolve after the shoes were broken in. After a few weeks of occasional use, the issue was very clear; the footbed did not quite accommodate my two smallest toes (no roast beef and wee wee wee for those of you with kids). This was in clear evidence based on depressions in the cork and wear on the inside of the shoe; it was enough of an issue that I had certain socks I wouldn't wear with the shoes (tight fit + seam in wrong place = blisters). I took them in to the AE store from whence they came and explained the issue. After several attempted stretchings (in retrospect, likely doomed to fail because of the shape of my foot versus the footbed), they fitted me in an 11E and ordered replacements. A week later, I had brand-new Strands that fit perfectly. AE stood behind the purchase and took care of the problem (at zero cost to me other than a little bit of time). I'll note that the firsts weren't quite perfect (maybe halfway between firsts and seconds), but I'm more than happy with the result and will equate the small imperfections with comfort. Bravo Allen Edmonds - that is true customer service.

18. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@SLCRich Did you try the suede Cavanaugh or regular calf? The suede has a little more give at the vamp. The 114 is a pain - I always feel like an E would be better, but after the D us broken in, I'm relieved I stuck it out. But either way, make sure the length works - too short and you're crushed in there, too long and your heels get shredded with enough walking. If you feel like you just can't make either 8.5 or 9 work, check out the 2592.

19. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@cc808314 I tried the LaSalle, Delray & Clark St and all fit really well, I just really didn't like the look - if you like these id recommend them.

20. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Agreed. The Sea Island is great (I just special ordered some in my size), but the Kirkwood is even more casual given the white rubber sole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.