• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG 7

Reaction score
New (to me) Walnut Flatirons from eBay today. I knew they were heavily creased but the price was right for taking a gamble on a last and style I wouldn't have tried otherwise.

In honor if @smfdoc 's series on how not to take eBay photos, I present the original listing photo that I was able to snag for $14.45. I would argue I'm a big fan of poorly photographed shoes because it usually means they can be cleaned up and look a heck of a lot better than you end up paying for them. I think I was right on these!

I had to get new laces and spend some time trying to strip off all the built up wax and coloring. If I get tired of the Walnut I might end up dying them after seeing @mreams99 's pair.

Wow, nice work! Definitely a gamble that paid off. That gives me more faith in taking some bigger risks on the bay.

Dzzzzz

Reaction score
I've worn these Warwick and PA for about 20 hours each and they developed some creases. I know leather will crease but should I expect it to happen in this stage? Do you gents think the creases on the Warwick look normal?

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn these Warwick and PA for about 20 hours each and they developed some creases. I know leather will crease but should I expect it to happen in this stage? Do you gents think the creases on the Warwick look normal?

I cannot speak to the "normal" on the warwick as mine have not yet developed creases (only 12 hours of wear and mostly sitting at work). As for the PAs all of mine have this (3 pairs) and my 5A do as well. Some more noticeable than others. They feel good so I do not think its a fit issue. Others may have more insight into ways to reduce creasing.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flying to snowy Denver today for my brother's wedding, so I dusted off the Gobis to travel in.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We can't all have perfect fitting shoes that don't crease (looking at you, @mdubs ). I am always ok with creasing, especially with the extra volume all of my shoes have. Its the one shoe only or non-uniform creasing that bugs me. Something that can at least help with the appearance: don't use wax-based polish in those areas, as the creases become slightly white and more noticeable.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flying to snowy Denver today for my brother's wedding, so I dusted off the Gobis to travel in.

Almost wore the same pair here in overcast and cold Chicago. Went with the brown Normandy instead. I know there are tons of fans of the suede Gobis, but I think the tan saddle version is just lights-out great.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Almost wore the same pair here in overcast and cold Chicago. Went with the brown Normandy instead. I know there are tons of fans of the suede Gobis, but I think the tan saddle version is just lights-out great. 

They were my first pair of AEs. My go to shoe when weather is iffy and I'll be doing a lot of walking.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realllllllllllly eyeing the double Eagle AND walnut strand golf shoes. Guess I need to pull funds from my 2018 shoe fund...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/518090/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread-2016-news-pictures-sizing-accessories-clothing-etc/4230#post_8419579 layout=inline]<span style="line-height:18px;">Uh oh, I see shoebank has one pair of Bourbon Carlyle's in my size....   Hmmm.....</span>
:satisfied: [/CONTENTEMBED]

I just don't want to pass these up.   If I buy them, I'll have to not buy any shoes for a few years.  

LOL. You remind me of the time in high school I said "come on honey, we both know it's wrong but if we do it just this once we promise to never do it again." Yeah, it sounds dumb but it totally worked.

NorseHorse

Reaction score
Need some advice! I have one space on my shoe rack left. 16 pairs of AEs now and no monk straps.

I'm looking at a clearance Bourbon Mora 2.0 or an Oxblood Warwick (ordered at anniversary sale price).

I plan to wear them sockless because it's more casual and I like the look.

I think the single strap is more formal but want opinions. Appreciate any insight!

Walnut Lexingtons today in Dainite on a casual Friday.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I will, if they still have any left. 

FYI, I noticed that several shoes missing from the shoebank are now back. 

I'm not sure that they were ever missing.
I noticed a few days ago that the "status" selection was defaulting to "current". This meant that the closeout styles were not displayed, unless you happened to notice and change it. And then I noticed yesterday that the default was back to "all styles".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads