1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

If the dressiest you go is slacks and a button-down, then I would stay away from black shoes and cap-toe oxfords, which may look too dressy with jeans. Perhaps a dark brown or chili-colored MacGregor ($137 in the shoe bank right now)?

2. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

I think it'd be great if you could search a shoe by name and it'd tell you what sizes are available (kind of like the regular AE site).

2 people like this.
  3. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, a category for current sale items would be great, perhaps one for boots, some may also find it useful to know what a specific store has available.

1 person likes this.
  4. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

Sizing/buying question for you guys:

I normally wear size 15D. When I bought my first pair of AE loafers a few years ago (McGraw penny loafers, dark brown), I ordered 14D, because, I figured, I would often wear them without socks, or with very thin no-show socks. I love them, but I have to wear them with regular socks, or else they cause blisters on the back of the heel and in the instep. I wear them with slacks and sportcoats, which is fine, but I am looking to add a pair that (a) goes with jeans and chunks, and (b) won't chafe my feet.

I tried the Patriots in 15D, but there was quite a bit of heel slippage, and obviously 14.5 is not an option. Any suggestions as to model or sizing?

Also, the several Allen Edmonds concept stores I've visited in New York do not stock 14s or 15s. Is there a place to try on large pairs without incurring a ton of restocking fees?

5. AllenEdmonds

AllenEdmonds Member

The search by name is something we could look at.

When you select your size and width, it will already show you the styles with inventory. When you click on the picture of the shoe, it will show you the outlets with inventory that you can contact and work with.

6. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

I think (and I may be wrong) that what some people want is to be able to search the inventory in the other direction -- to be able to filter the search just to show what's available at a particular physical outlet location. Being able to search by categories such as "dress shoes," "casual shoes," "boots," "loafers," monk strap," etc., would also be helpful.

7. AllenEdmonds

AllenEdmonds Member

Current sale items for the outlets might be difficult, but let me take a look. I will look at adding a boot category.

8. AllenEdmonds

AllenEdmonds Member

Let me think about how the search in the other direction would work.

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Outlets can pull stock from any location and drop ship to you anyway, so mightn't this be ultimately redundant?

10. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@AllenEdmonds My top 3 would be:
    1) Quantity info on what was actually available. Sometimes a store has literally a single pair, other times (like with PAs or Graysons) they have many.
    2) Site refresh more often,
    3) Search by physical location.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Preparing to do some chukka maintenance this morning. Also have some suede chukkas not shown. Right two are AE shell Dundees:

[​IMG]

[spoiler = "chukka close ups"]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/spoiler]

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    5 people like this.
  12. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

13. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

If you think about how many clicks/actions it takes to see what sizes are offered for a particular shoe, you can see that it's quite cumbersome with the current system. Many of us wear different sizes across different lasts, and plenty of times we have to guess as to what size to order a particular shoe in. Being able to see what sizes are available up front is very helpful in deciding on which one to pull the trigger on.

If we choose an example of wanting to see if two sizes are available for a particular shoe, with the current system we'd have to select size one, select width one, hit search, scroll down/ctrl+f to find the shoe, and if it exists in that size open up the shoe in a new window/tab, then repeat the process for size and width number two. That's a total of 10 actions. With the search system of the main AE site we'd go to the search bar and type in the name of the shoe, click on the name of the shoe, select shoe size 1 (which will auto show what widths are available), and then select shoe size 2. That's only four actions, or 60% less work.

The disparity in work per comparison increases with the number of sizes searched. I imagine that it's not uncommon for people to compare up to three sizes regularly when trying to guess what they should order on a last they haven't tried yet.

14. armedferret

armedferret Well-Known Member

True, however, depending on how the database front end is coded, that could equate to 700-800% *MORE* work for the programmers to add those features in. That cost, especially at a time of higher demand on the site, could be a negative return. Of course it may be an excellent long-term solution to look into (along with possibly adding e-commerce? :D ).....

15. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

16. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Test-driving my Clark's. These are by far the largest 8D I've ever worn. Requires thick socks and the heel is very large.
    [​IMG]

17. thera

thera Member

You got bourbon which is halfway between walnut & brown so I think one of these will be a little redundant for now.
    And the 5th avenue is relatively formal, so you can go for full brogue for your new pair.
    My picks would be McAllister in Merlot or Strand in Dark Chili or Oxblood. Both are very versatile, and I find they do dress slacks as well as denim with a shirt.
    You could also try a blucher like MacGregor in one of those colors.

Of course, you can always go for a black pair :)

18. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

I was thinking that it might be helpful for someone who's contemplating taking a drive to one of the outlets. They could check in advance just to get an idea of the inventory.

19. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

THIS!!! I realize that may be alot to ask for compared to the pagination issue, but it would be a sweet addition to the site.

20. eagleman

eagleman Well-Known Member

I'm impressed with the fact that AE is listening and responding to the issues. That is what makes them great!

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.