• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeyo

Reaction score
Inaugural wearing of my new brown Strands, purchased during the seconds flash sale. My initial pair of Strands were walnut, and when I first put them on I thought they were the perfect Strand color. Then I got my Strands in oxblood and the first day I wore them I decided they were the pinnacle of the Strand family. Well, it looks like I have proven myself wrong again - this brown pair looks better than I could have imagined. The moral of this story? I need to stop buying so many Strands.

Moose22

Reaction score
I came home with the Cognac Tans...

I blame you all.

That you got some really good looking shoes for only a little more than the price of crappy chinese-made athletic shoes?

Blame taken.

Enjoy those. They look like a perfect shoe. Cool and on the casual side.

Moose22

Reaction score
. The moral of this story? I need to stop buying so many Strands.

Brown shell strands are the pinnacle, in my opinion. Other than the last not matching my foot, they are just about the best of everything you could ask for in a brogue or semi-brogue.

Those are nice looking shoes. I think you have a perfect selection now.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a customer meeting that took me directly past the AE outlet 45 min away from where I live, so I decided to stop by. And lo, the had the mysterious congnac tan McTavish...

I decided to compare the top some "real" tans, which were on sale for $137:

...and with "real" cognac:

I came home with the Cognac Tans...

I blame you all.

Every one of you...

Comparing mine to that picture, you're right. My Cognac fall in-between the two.

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Inaugural wearing of my new brown Strands, purchased during the seconds flash sale. My initial pair of Strands were walnut, and when I first put them on I thought they were the perfect Strand color. Then I got my Strands in oxblood and the first day I wore them I decided they were the pinnacle of the Strand family. Well, it looks like I have proven myself wrong again - this brown pair looks better than I could have imagined. The moral of this story? I need to stop buying so many Strands.

They are closing out the bourbon Strand, which looks awesome. And the brogue suede Strand is both awesome and very different. It's also on clearance. You should pick up both of those while you still have a chance.
And if you've never seen the chili Strand, you don't know what you're missing.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Merlot Lexingtons. One of my favorite pairs. Minimally MTO'd by adding Dainite before it was stock.

piyi

Reaction score
Wearing my daltons today.

I have been reading this thread lately.... Sooooo today I purchased another pair of daltons from the shoe bank, in black, with dainty soles for $199 and a pair of PAs in merlot for $187. At those prices what "sane" person could resist. There were several more I would have liked to purchase, but I need to try and practice some restraint. I also want to say to all who have participated in this thread, thank you for your support.
PIYI

aeyo

Reaction score

They are closing out the bourbon Strand, which looks awesome. And the brogue suede Strand is both awesome and very different. It's also on clearance. You should pick up both of those while you still have a chance.
And if you've never seen the chili Strand, you don't know what you're missing.

Believe me, if they had the brogue suede in my size, I'd be about $200 poorer right now.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That you got some really good looking shoes for only a little more than the price of crappy chinese-made athletic shoes?

Blame taken.

Enjoy those. They look like a perfect shoe. Cool and on the casual side.

;) I went in to try on some of the boots - I'm kind of wanting another pair that I don't mind stomping around in a bit but are more versatile than my Indy boots.

For clarity, the Cognacs were at $137 - I didn't even look at the pricing on the tans. That is a stinking deal! They had several other pairs of Cognacs in the store in various sizes in both the dark cognac and the tan cognac.

The pix don't do them justice - I REALLY like the variegated leather, and am already preferring the darker welt and edge to my tan McT's.

I guess I really am building a McTavish army, though I'm done unless they bring out some other colors. I don't prefer the pebbled tan and I don't wear black shoes enough to justify getting a pair of black McT's. (though the SA at the store was wearing a pair
biggrin.gif
)

Comparing mine to that picture, you're right. My Cognac fall in-between the two.

Mine actually fall a little redder than the ones I saw in the store, so the range is pretty crazy. For that matter, my tans have a lot more mixed tones than the ones in the pic, too.

I'd guess these came back because they are so far from what is pictured on the site and other examples like my original 4045's, which are presumably from a different run. Maybe the color variation in the leather was an issue for the original buyer. I can't find any marks, stitching faults or anything that bothers me.

I'm really pleased, and a little embarrassed. I'll try to post pix of all three together before we leave for the weekend...

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
The local guy can certainly put on a new sole and heel for less money. In my experience, however, there is a larger difference in the local guy and the AE recraft. The local guy usually pulls off the old sole and stitches on a new one over the existing cork and welt. This is new stitching on the old welt, holes and all. They then polish the shoe. The AE recraft scrapes out the old cork and replaces the welt with a new one. The new cork is inserted and the sole/heel replaced. The AE service also removes the old finish and reshoots it with the same color as it was originally. Then a new set of laces. Yes, its more money but they also provide more services in their attempt to rebuild the shoe back to its original condition. Is that worth the extra money, in some cases yes and other cases no. These variables have already been mentioned.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Pair 10 arrived. Just over one year since I got bit. Next pair, I have to start a new row.

RichieP

Reaction score

Here's a brown grain Dundee 2.0 I tried. It's the same size as my Bleecker St (10D). The suede Gobi in that size had way too much width for me. Tried a 9.5D and my big toe was hitting the front of the shoe. Not sure if I could ever consider a Dundee as sleek as a Bleecker street, though. It's just a completely different shape me.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Here's a brown grain Dundee 2.0 I tried. It's the same size as my Bleecker St (10D). The suede Gobi in that size had way too much width for me. Tried a 9.5D and my big toe was hitting the front of the shoe. Not sure if I could ever consider a Dundee as sleek as a Bleecker street, though. It's just a completely different shape me.

Damnit Man! I don't have a money tree out back! Those look great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads