1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

If its the 9E Sized ones I've been looking too but only because of price. I had PA (wrong size) in oxblood and McAllisters in Burnished Merlot and I find oxblood to be considerably more red. I like the red more but thats personal taste. If i were picking between PA in merlot or oxblood I'd go oxblood. If this helps any I was told burgundy cream works well for merlot but not for oxblood.

1 person likes this.
  2. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Yeah, that pony wouldn't last very long.

1 person likes this.
  3. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Try chili or oxblood. Merlot is a very deep plum color. If you look at the pic in my avatar you can see the merlot Hopkinsons in the front row juxtaposed to the chili Bradleys up and to the left and a pair of red Maritimes up and to the right.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  4. Captm2016

Captm2016 Member

For whatever it's worth, in store I've had an SA line up burgundy PA's (shell), oxblood PA's, and Merlot macallisters next to each other and it was shocking to me how close in color they were. Like if I really looked I could see the oxbloods being slightly redder, but they really did look almost identical in color to me. IMO there is lots more variation in the colors based on the website pics than what I saw with my own eyes in person.

1 person likes this.
  5. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Well-Known Member

Right now, I have a Chili MacNeil 2.0, a Bourbon Fifth Avenue and a Walnut Madison Park. Looking for another option even though I have no business doing so. As mentioned, the Oxblood was very appealing to me. However now that I see your Merlot pair in the daylight, it seems like I just want both Oxblood and Merlot.

1 person likes this.
  6. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Its throwback Thursday and I submit the Dixson which I have never seen discussed on the forum. It is AE's answer to the question, "How much split toe can be shoved into one shoe?" Apparently, the answer is to the top of the tongue. Yea or nay? No, these are not my personal shoes. Discuss.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  7. MattRiv

Ha.... a pair of these in my size showed up on ebay today... terrible.

8. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

Yea I have to agree those are pretty ugly. Haha

9. MattRiv

Here's a close up of brown saddle Vernons and the merlot Hopkinsons. He brown saddle is similar to chili/oxblood.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

I guess if you want to look like you have hooves...

11. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    LOL, but that is just mean.

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Well - the sale sucked me in - got some Shannon Drives on butyl... [​IMG]

13. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

It has me close to pulling the trigger on them too! Trying to resist. Being on these forums doesnt help though! [​IMG]

14. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

Anyone have any insights to share on the Haley slip ons?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

I believe the phrase is split from stem to stern. [​IMG]

16. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Pics look even better than the AE stock photos. 1/2 off has me seriously considering.
    I love me an AE boot! And I guess most of mine are technically NOT plain toe (Daltons, LBs, Normandy MTO'd with lug sole, 1st Ave in Walnut and Brown grain with Dainite, Portland, 5th Street, Shakers, Bleeckers)... and the ones that are (Amok, Gobi, Frieburg) are all different enough to justify it. Right? Right, filthy barn weasels?

1 person likes this.
  17. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Curiously, there are a few pairs of Cornwallis in dark chili on the shoebank. I had just been thinking that a dark chili Cornwallis would be perfect.

If it was just one, I'd assume it was a MTO gone wrong. Maybe they're starting to make them in chili?

18. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Thanks. This has pretty much convinced me never to buy AE's on Amazon again.

19. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

In my experience 11D on the 201 is basically equivalent to 11E on the 65. Comparing these two:
    - toe box is similar
    - heel a bit wider on the 65
    - overall volume a bit higher on the 201

For me, I'd go down a width from your 65. Going down a half size could also work, though.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Well-Known Member

Ha... maybe I am an oddball. I like split toes. Not a big fan of mocs though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.