• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got home today to find my AE Wartons had arrived. Paid 36 for these on ebay and just under 50 after shipping. Pleasantly surprised they are new. The sale add said pre'owned but the interior of the shoe appears as though they have never been worn. These appear to be second quality with a few very minor discolorations on the leather upper, but not noticeable at eye level. I consider these a steal for what I paid and I am very happy... :)

Wow, what a deal on those! They look great.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brown Shaker Heights today. So comfy.

NorseHorse

Reaction score
Walnut McAllisters today. Burnishing on these is outstanding. Still a little tight but it's only the second wear.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lake Forest in oxblood for his first. We also liked the Yorktown in chili. We've converted another one boys!

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got home today to find my AE Wartons had arrived. Paid 36 for these on ebay and just under 50 after shipping. Pleasantly surprised they are new. The sale add said pre'owned but the interior of the shoe appears as though they have never been worn. These appear to be second quality with a few very minor discolorations on the leather upper, but not noticeable at eye level. I consider these a steal for what I paid and I am very happy... :)

Long live the bay.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lake Forest in oxblood for his first. We also liked the Yorktown in chili. We've converted another one boys!

Let's just say that I'm not surprised by his choice given his chaperone. Haha.

Last edited:

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's just say that I'm not surprised by his choice given his chaperone. Haha.

Ha no idea what you're talking about *hides all oxblood shoes*
Also I was mistaken. His current job allows jeans, his new one will be strictly business casual. Both the Lake Forest and Yorktown would have worked perfectly. Now we just wait until his current Cole Haans and Calvin Kleins disintegrate and get him some real shoes to replace :)

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my brown grain KIowas (Strands with split reverse welts and Vibram style lug heels and soles) today.......

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Can we get opinions on the Lake Forest after a couple of wears?

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can we get opinions on the Lake Forest after a couple of wears?

For sure. He heads back to Vegas on Wednesday so the first wearing will probably be next week sometime

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben was working at my local retail store tonight so I dropped by for a visit. He said he couldn't believe how much extra space the store had for inventory that was empty and how he was frustrated that so many people were coming in looking for E through EEE and all they had was D...
1f602.png

RichieP

Reaction score

@tkebh979 kind of like richiep I was torn between the Jefferson & Cambridge and ultimately went with the Jefferson, since the price was so far down. The Jefferson is probably one of my favorite shoes - you have to try the independence line to understand. If they had been a little closer in price, not sure what I would have done. The Cambridge has a reddenbach double sole, so it's just a much heavier feeling shoe overall, almost like a mctavish, which I like a lot, plus the burgundy shell color was really nice too. I'd definitely say both are worth it over the regular McAllister.

Understood, and thanks for the information.  At base price, the jumps in price are $100 and $200, correct (McA -> Jeff 2.0 -> Cam)?  From this perspective, moving from McA to Jeff 2.0 (if you like the Jeff 2.0 last) is easier than Jeff 2.0 to Cam.  

With the current pricing, the jumps are $200 and $200, or $400 from McA direct to Cam.  Practically a 1 shoe for the price of 2 argument.  Perhaps easier to make when you are at the point of replacing in-rotation shoes with better equivalents... but as I am still rounding out a rotation (by that I don't mean the vast collections that lead to lovely, color-wheelesque shoe circle photos... yet) I'm leaning toward value. 

IOW - had AE not dropped the McA price, I probably would have gone for the Jeff 2.0s and eventually upgraded to the Cambridge.  By that logic, I suppose I'm buying a third shoe in the long run, but those other purchases are far in the future :decisions:

You guys have to understand where I was two years ago - a total AE n00b, unaware of the sales cycles and outlets. After buying my first ever pair of $285 shoes at my first experience (walnut Black Hills) and also tried on a Walnut Jefferson (gorgeous), but daunting at $395 at the time. Shortly thereafter, found all you pre-barnweasels here and being able to kop a pair of Cambridge seconds for $399 that summer sale (original firsts were $550 maybe then?) seemed like a deal! Especially after hearing how awesome shell is. I also felt burgundy was more useful for my wardrobe.

Being that you're looking for value, I can't see buying 3 of these. They're all so similar. Either go with the sale McA's and the hope for a shell sale later, and that removes the need for Jefferson ever. These shoes will last a looong time.

P.S. If there's a McAllister in bourbon in your size at the 'bank, they're just $177. Even better value if you're up for that color.

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score
I prefer the McAllister to the Jefferson, because they're relatively sleeker than the Jefferson...I still like the Cambridge though, just because the shell looks so good on them. My preference is Mcallister > McTavish > Cambridge > Neumok > Jefferson.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RichieP They occasionally have Jeffersons pop up on the bank at 177. If you ever try the two of them on one after another, the quality differences between the McAllister & Jefferson is so apparent it would kill me to pay more for a McAllister at this point. Smart move getting in on the Cambridge at 399. I must have been a noob - I passed on the 2nds at 299. Thinking back on that...never mind, id rather not think back on it.

I have a good mix of the classics - 1 park, 1 Jefferson, 1 Kiowa, 1 strand, 1 neumok, 1 rush street, 3 McTavish, 1 black hills.

Last edited:

tkebh979

Reaction score
You guys have to understand where I was two years ago - a total AE n00b, unaware of the sales cycles and outlets. After buying my first ever pair of $285 shoes at my first experience (walnut Black Hills) and also tried on a Walnut Jefferson (gorgeous), but daunting at $395 at the time. Shortly thereafter, found all you pre-barnweasels here and being able to kop a pair of Cambridge seconds for $399 that summer sale (original firsts were $550 maybe then?) seemed like a deal! Especially after hearing how awesome shell is. I also felt burgundy was more useful for my wardrobe.

Being that you're looking for value, I can't see buying 3 of these. They're all so similar. Either go with the sale McA's and the hope for a shell sale later, and that removes the need for Jefferson ever. These shoes will last a looong time.

P.S. If there's a McAllister in bourbon in your size at the 'bank, they're just $177. Even better value if you're up for that color.

@RichieP They occasionally have Jeffersons pop up on the bank at 177. If you ever try the two of them on one after another, the quality differences between the McAllister & Jefferson is so apparent it would kill me to pay more for a McAllister at this point. Smart move getting in on the Cambridge at 399. I must have been a noob - I passed on the 2nds at 299. Thinking back on that...never mind, id rather not think back on it.

I have a good mix of the classics - 1 park, 1 Jefferson, 1 Kiowa, 1 strand, 1 neumok, 1 rush street, 3 McTavish, 1 black hills.

Thanks for the recommendations, gents. I recently kopped a pair of bourbon McAllister 1sts during the bourbon clear-out. Have them with the v-tap for wet weather. Not having a rainy day shoe in burgundy (or some close variant), and sufficiently satisfied with the bourbons, I figured the current sale was a good time to add a merlot v-tap. Will keep an eye out for Cambridge 2nds... maybe I'll get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads