1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Well-Known Member

I think the laces on the IR are more durable and work boot like. They don't look as good, but very durable. They probably won't break for years. My only complaint about the laces is they are a tad short for this boot.

I have heard the beckman breakin is rough. Breakin varies on the IR depending on the leather type. These IRs in the copper rough and tough leather the breakin was fine. This leather is pretty "soft" for Red Wing leather (but appears to be durable as hell after I have done lots of wood, dirt, outside work in them). Overall, this is my favorite Red Wing boot for comfort and outside physical work.

My black Brogue Rangers had a hell of a breakin. That black chaparral leather was stiff as F. But good now. I think that boot/leather breaks in similar to a Beckman.

My 8181 classic round in muleskinner roughout leather is my most comfortable overall. Breakin was butter. I don't work outside in that one.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

What's going on here, Red Wing appreciation?
    I thought that I was in the minority here, with my regular rotation of Red Wings.

3. Captain Insano

Sorry back on topic. The weather was shitty here. I would never subject my AEs to this weather, but the RWs were built for it.

4. tkebh979

tkebh979 Well-Known Member

Newb question, perhaps... but can you compare the fit of these vs McAllisters? I just grabbed a merlot pair in the sale and am trying to get my mind around if its the same shoe for another $400 in shell...

Yours looks great, btw. Tots obvz tho...

5. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Well-Known Member

Do any of you use heel taps? My heels wear very quickly on all of my AE shoes.

6. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Some recent additions:

Walnut Fifth Avenues from Shoebank (10C)
    MTO #8 shell Park Avenues with Double JR sole (10C)
    Indy Brown Bartletts (9 1/2 D)

Once I figure out the how to up-load from my cell phone, I'll have some action photos w/ watch and coffee. (My co-workers are waiting for me to spill the coffee!)

Also, though I haven't yet gone laceless, I found the Patriot to be much tighter than the Randolf which I wound up purchasing from our favorite E-bay seller in a 10B.

3 people like this.
  7. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Wow some great looking shoes going up on this Sunday. Those shell strands @RichieP ...ugh I was already tempted by lace less and now I'm a full fledged cult member of that crew. Every shell picture makes me shell envious and those are gorgeous

8. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you. When I bought the Cambridges two years ago, I had browser windows open with them and the Jeffersons I had tried at my first fitting. I went back and forth enough to tell there were only very slight variations of the broguing around the foot opening and down along the laces, but yeah, they're basically the same shoe. McAllister looks similar enough to me as well.

They're all 65 last, and that fits great on me. Some will say that shell fits a bit looser. I find this to be true with these in the morning, and I do pull my laces tighter when I get to work, but I guess my feet get slightly bigger as they day goes on, because by mid-afternoon, I don't notice it at all.

9. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

Here is my favorite pair of Red Wings:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Captain Insano

11. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

Nope. It's going to happen at some point anyway. Not much you can do to mitigate, but I usually condition aggressively before wearing and during the first few wears (I use Bick 4, but to each his own). I think this helps soften the wrinkling, though that may just be wishful thinking.

12. catlettsl

catlettsl Well-Known Member

Yes. Absolutely! I've seen the toe curl in others pics also. Just seems to be something consistent with this model. Idk...

13. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@tkebh979 kind of like richiep I was torn between the Jefferson & Cambridge and ultimately went with the Jefferson, since the price was so far down. The Jefferson is probably one of my favorite shoes - you have to try the independence line to understand. If they had been a little closer in price, not sure what I would have done. The Cambridge has a reddenbach double sole, so it's just a much heavier feeling shoe overall, almost like a mctavish, which I like a lot, plus the burgundy shell color was really nice too. I'd definitely say both are worth it over the regular McAllister.

14. Captain Insano

Back to AE today... wearing my blue Neumok.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Dressing up the chili University; love how versatile this shoe is.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    2 people like this.
  16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Love my Bradleys!

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing them in walnut...

18. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

I just got an ebay pair of calf Bradleys for $60. Easily the best looking NST that AE has made.

19. Captain Insano

@naspratt
    Those look damn beautiful.

20. eagleman

eagleman Well-Known Member

Oxblood Monday with very cheap carpet.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.