• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My answer to "what should I wear with the black chinos that I have to wear today?"
The black grain Athens.

I have never worn these for more than a couple of hours at a time. The left shoe crowds/pinches my toes, so I was hesitant about this choice. Hopefully today will bring about a little stretching.

Soupy

Reaction score
Today I'm wearing my oldest AE's. Burgundy McAllisters that were a Christmas gift from my wife in 1990. They have been recrafted once.

Nice vintage pair! An old pair for me today as well: Fifth Ave in "Antique Burgundy" made from 88-95 that I rescued from a Goodwill a year or so ago. I've had them resoled but the leather has seen better days...

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? My v-treads seem to be indestructible.

Mine feel fairly robust as well. Put the point of a Topy is that once it's worn down, you replace it so the original leather sole stays intact underneath. So in practical usage, a topied sole will most likely extend the life of your sole quite a bit.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ascher out in the wild today. Not sure if this is the sexiest shoe color or THEE sexiest shoe color...

NorseHorse

Reaction score
Chili Carlyles today, a fine recommendation from my local store in Scottsdale. Truly enjoying the rich color.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks all for the responses.

Well I am hoping that the topy or rubber half sole would be flush installed. I guess I would be ok with this. If they cannot flush mount I am seeing what they would think about redoing the sole. Otherwise I would expect a deep discount on this. It bothers me that there was no mention of a discount yet. I'll sleep on it tonight and email in the am.

For me it's a toss up. If they can't sand down the leather sole to install the v-tread/Topy flush, then I would be hesitant for them to re-welt the shoe, since you can only do it a finite amount of times. Assuming they need to undo the leather sole from the welt.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daltons today. Some seriously bright sun this morning, so the color is much more orange than normal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads