• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorseHorse

Reaction score

Got the new family together for a picture today. Is it a problem that the new family just started 60 days ago? They are multiplying like rabbits.

Just finished building a second shoe rack today which will only further the addiction I'm sure.

pbrandes

Reaction score
Can anybody speak to the finish on the Humboldt Ave belt in Golden Brown CXL? I have three pairs of Golden Brown CXL, the Rush Street, the Bellevue, and the Kirkwood. All are vastly different. I also have a Sun River GB CXL belt, which to me, is not finished like any of those shoes.

I thought I might pick one up, if it wouldn't be too redundant, along with a Merlot Polished Cobbler belt to match Oxblood.

Thanks.

The Humboldt Ave. is an excellent color match to my golden brown CXL Rush Streets and Wilberts--much better match than the Sun River I tried first and returned.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shadowy brown shell townleys shot:

barto78

Reaction score
I couldn't locate the post, but didn't someone post the AE Spring Sale offerings and prices a couple weeks back? Looking to get a pair of Chili Carlyle's and i could have sworn someone posted they were going to be $100 off.

Also, anyone who has recently ordered Shell Cordovan Strands, how long did it take for them to be made? I placed my order about 2 weeks ago and am obviously hopeful they arrive in less than the 6-8 week quoted time frame.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Starting the foggy day with Malones. A comfy split-toe with an Othello sole. The shoebank still has some on close out for $137 in select sizes.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I dont really like to ask these sort of questions but I heard back (finally) from the recraft department about my shell loafers that were in. They messed up my order and didnt do the sole change (which cost an extra $10) So now I just have a leather sole. They told me that I could send them back and they would apply a rubber half sole to my order.

I really wanted the vtread because I have them on a few shoes and much prefer it to leather or dainite. I have had shoes with vibram half soles and hated them. I also rather dislike leather soles because the floors can get too slippery where I work.

Advice? I dont know quite what to tell them. The fact that this was just plain missed and now they want to shortcut it makes me a little upset. Thanks guys!

Soupy

Reaction score
Alright, so I dont really like to ask these sort of questions but I heard back (finally) from the recraft department about my shell loafers that were in. They messed up my order and didnt do the sole change (which cost an extra $10) So now I just have a leather sole. They told me that I could send them back and they would apply a rubber half sole to my order.

I really wanted the vtread because I have them on a few shoes and much prefer it to leather or dainite. I have had shoes with vibram half soles and hated them. I also rather dislike leather soles because the floors can get too slippery where I work.

Advice? I dont know quite what to tell them. The fact that this was just plain missed and now they want to shortcut it makes me a little upset. Thanks guys!

I'm not a very confrontational person so I understand this frustration but I think your best answer is just to tell them exactly what you said here. As an outsider to this situation this seems like a perfectly reasonable complaint and their first solution is not good enough, particularly considering you are working with an expensive pair of shell loafers here. If it's over email I'd send them almost your second and third paragraphs verbatim. Considering AE's customer service is mostly excellent, I suspect they'll find a better solution for you.

I'm planning on sending in an older pair for recrafting soon and having a dainite sole added so I'm certainly concerned that they missed your sole change request.

DapperDriver

Reaction score

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered a lightly used pair of Normandy boots off of eBay from Steve's Name Brand Shoes. They were mislabeled as a pair of Long Branches, for whatever reason. Regardless, got them for a pretty sweet deal.

They just came in today and there's a lot to like about these. I think I got an earlier one that has a little more distressing on it than I'd like, but I'm hopeful with some leather lotion I'll be able to alleviate a little of it. A lot of pairs that he has for sale tend to have an indent around the toe cap, but these don't appear to, for now. I'm still surprised that AE didn't give these a mini-lug sole as the boot itself seems to be screaming for it, style-wise. Also, I kind of wish they had speed hooks at the top. They're unlined and unstructured, so I had to undo the top 2 eyelets to really feel OK about putting my foot in it with a shoe horn. Would have been nice to have the speed hooks to keep from having to re-lace those last 2.

The leather is indeed as soft as everyone has claimed and they are ridiculously comfortable. I found them a little bit roomier than my pair of Darmstadts, which are also on the B34 last. Lots more space in the toe box, but pretty much right volume-wise everywhere else. I might have been able to go down another 1/2 size, but I think I'm going to hold onto them.

I'll add some pictures later on when I'm back home. But, if you're on the fence about these, you shouldn't be. They're much better than I hoped and are a great casual boot. Can't wait to bust them out on a couple of casual Fridays or weekends or, heck, I'll probably break down and just wear them to work a couple of times before the weather gets too warm here in Chicago.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Big day for me today: maiden voyage for brown shell dundees - these are my first AEs and my first shells. This was a big decision, but I feel good about my choice. I'm really looking forward to seeing how these develop over time. In the meantime I need to work on improving my shoe photography.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Big day for me today: maiden voyage for brown shell dundees - these are my first AEs and my first shells. This was a big decision, but I feel good about my choice. I'm really looking forward to seeing how these develop over time. In the meantime I need to work on improving my shoe photography.

Beautiful shoes! A great choice, as shell chukka is classic and AE's Dundee pattern is an outstanding one. I have 2 myself. :)

Congrats, my friend!

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think your two choices are (i) have them re-do it the way you had told them to, at no charge to you, or (ii) grin and bear it, but with your request/the suggestion that because you don't like, and didn't want, the leather sole, and hate the suggested half-sole, you ought to get some portion of the work you paid for refunded. E.g., go half's with them (50% refund).

The problem with option #1 is that even a welted shoe doesn't have an infinite number of re-soling's in it.

If it's any solace to you, a classic shell loafer with a nice leather sole really looks nice. So even if you slip, people will still note your nice looking shoes as they offer you assitance.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of AEs, the Hamptons. Still love the wing-cap, although it gets no love on this forum. Also my wife's favorite of my shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads