1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Chili University and holiday socks.
    [​IMG]
    Edit: and a new (to me) watch!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

Went stomping around The Magic Kingdom today in natty Dundees from @gatszu . Time for a root beer float!

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  4. leadbelly2550

leadbelly2550 Member

i have five pair of Allen Edmonds shoes, dating back to 1993. I think most of the models are discontinued; mine have all been resoled at least once, and 2 have been reconditioned: Park Avenue, chili; Burton, black; Sanford, chestnut; Brewster, dark brown; and Yale, brown chromexcel with a rubber sole. Keep them clean, polished, and resoled regularly, and they will last a long time. I haven't bought a new pair from them in several years; last 2 pair of dress shoes were Alden shell cordovan, color 8. I have trended toward cordovan (leather taken from the muscle layer beneath a horse's hide, from the rump. Very firm; takes a long time to tan, wears much better/longer than normal leather shoes. shoes are about twice as expensive) because despite the price, i think it's a great material for shoes and will last basically as long as i will. Allen Edmonds sells cordovan shoes too.

But, the point of this post is an Allen Edmonds belt i just purchased. Shell cordovan belts are hard to find because there aren't many places that tan cordovan (; Allen Edmonds sells them, they are available, and at $195 retail they are less expensive than some alternatives. and a lot less than a good alligator or crocodile belt. The belt i just purchased is color 8 to go with the shoes. Fairly robust nickel buckle, very nice. The cordovan is somewhat lighter in color than the Alden shoes. Made from 3 pieces of cordovan, sewn together. One of the pieces is a little bit rougher than the other two; i'm guessing the grain of that piece was tanned differently and runs in a different direction. The other two sections are very smooth. Notably, the cordovan and leather backing are sewn all the way through, which I think will yield a more long-lasting belt. Very happy with it.

i'll try to get inspired to photograph the shoes and belt and post them.

5. otterhound

otterhound Well-Known Member

6. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

Wearing the requisite green today.
    [​IMG]

But these are the shoes that I wanted to wear today:
    [​IMG]
    I felt that the original walnut color was too limiting in how they could be used, and I had a second walnut pair of shoes on order, so I darkened them. I can understand that not everyone would agree with my choice to darken these. (And some might be in horror that I changed the original color!)

3 people like this.
  7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Really nice job antiquing those Flatirons!

I'm a little disappointed no one posted any green shell today. Any joy @polojock615 @halfnhalfnhalf?

8. pbrandes

pbrandes Well-Known Member

I agree, AE cordovan belts are very nice. However, one other thing to be aware of is that the buckle is engraved with a faint "Allen Edmonds" - it's subtle and probably wouldn't be noticed but it's there. This may not matter to some, others may like it which is fine. Personally, I am opposed on principle to becoming a human billboard for any product branding, especially in an item at this price point. Brooks Brothers has a similar belt with the same colors and stitching sans logo--albeit brass buckle rather than nickel--for $248. I luckily have a calf belt in identical burgundy shade to my AE shells, so I'm not in the market but if I was the extra $50 would be worth it to me to not have the logo. That's just me, though -- as I said the AE engraving isn't too noticeable so YMMV.

9. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

Sorry - wearing green suede Strands today.

10. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I would never trust an AE website photo to gauge a color.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I think we'll still need a picture of that...

I don't have any green footwear currently, but I'm in on a green suede Alden LWB preorder, so I'll be able to join in the fun next year. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. leadbelly2550

leadbelly2550 Member

true about the ae buckle, but the letters are maybe 2 millimeters high. Effectively invisible from a foot away.

13. eagleman

eagleman Well-Known Member

I just used VSC on my Oxblood Strands for the first time. I noticed quite a bit of color rubbing off on my soft rag. I let it sit for about an hour before buffing. I wasn't really impressed with the shine afterwards. Do I need to put another coat on or just keep buffing?

14. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

[quote But these are the shoes that I wanted to wear today:
    [​IMG]
    I felt that the original walnut color was too limiting in how they could be used, and I had a second walnut pair of shoes on order, so I darkened them. I can understand that not everyone would agree with my choice to darken these. (And some might be in horror that I changed the original color!)[/quote]

Did you use a dye? They look great! You are giving me ideas now...

15. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Thanks! You're the man. Now if you could also tell me if the heel and the sole are one piece on the Nashua, that would be great :)

16. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

Yes, I used diluted dye.

17. gatszu

gatszu Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful! Not spoilered on purpose!

1 person likes this.
  18. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine wearing any of my AEs around Magic Kingdom. My feet would fall off by 10:00 AM.

19. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

I'm not the owner of these, but...
    [​IMG]

Still available for purchase AFAIK (Jeffersonville, 11D).

20. misterellington

misterellington Well-Known Member

Went with the Dark Brown “Steen” split-toe loafer today (with the Tempest Combination Sole—an odd half-leather/half ersatz Dainite style).

It may be my most comfortable AE loafer I have outside of my Bone colored Suede Sanibels.

They have a 13D pair of Olive (I think these were an MTO of some sort) Steens at the Burlington Coat Factory Chelsea store here in NYC for $89.00. They've been there for months.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.