• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Things Hippity and Hoppity

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

It's all good, Big K.R.I.T. still loves you! :thumbs-up:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Once again, love the music. I just don't understand why all these people are talking about Big KRIT like he's some iconoclast. Besides his underdog narrative (which is also a common theme amongst other artists) he raps about the same ol'-same ol'. He's holding up chain and talking about cars with candy paint in that video, even.

I just think the popular idea of him isn't inline with what he actually is. I'm glad these people think he's so inspiring but their reasoning for why they like him seems flawed.

p.s. I listen to Big KRIT. I have the mixtape that that video is from.

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
J. Cole is a good rapper whose content alters between punchlines and 'chip on my shoulder' stuff. Big K.R.I.T. seems more mature & sincere to me. I also feel his production is better and it also suits him better, which does him a lot of favors in releasing 60 minutes of music that can be listened to in one sitting and not feel stale or repetitive.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What in your mind is the difference between the two? I like Big KRIT and J. Cole, for the record. I just don't get the KRIT championing. He's got great beats, but he's not the best lyricist and his narrative that seems to inspire everyone else seems like an Oxygen channel movie to me.

Once again, love the music. I just don't understand why all these people are talking about Big KRIT like he's some iconoclast. Besides his underdog narrative (which is also a common theme amongst other artists) he raps about the same ol'-same ol'. He's holding up chain and talking about cars with candy paint in that video, even.

I just think the popular idea of him isn't inline with what he actually is. I'm glad these people think he's so inspiring but their reasoning for why they like him seems flawed.

p.s. I listen to Big KRIT. I have the mixtape that that video is from.

not sure how you're trying to use the word iconoclast but insert that-word-does-not-mean-what-you-think-it-means meme here

here is my take on why KRIT is getting all the hype he is.

It may sound like an Oxygen plot line but KRIT's story is actually his life and it is pretty compelling to me and apparently a lot of other people. Yeah other rappers can tell stories with similar motifs, but not many(that I know of) show the economy and compositional fluency of KRIZZLE.

Something about the unpretentious manner in which he tells his story makes them hit that much harder I think. The dude doesn't need fireworks to make you feel how passionate he is. He can get 'deep' without really saying anything awfully complex; he hits on big issues that trouble all people, he sees the contradictions in life and draws our attention to them in ways that allow you to identify with his struggle to untangle it all. He may not be lyrically superlative but KRIT has a few things going for him that few others do (that I know of at least). The dude is intimate, evocative, nostalgic and young and hungry all at the same time.

KRIT's southern drawl and gritty middle-baritone voice just sounds ******* good. He may not have the most sophisticated flow but his chops are good enough that combined with his other talents, he has created serious bangers, introspective philosophical songs, and atmospheric heart-on-sleeve confessionals that ring with clarity and a kind of universality as well as the kind of folkloric, good-ol-****-we-do-in-the-hood type songs. But then when you try to box the songs in that way, you realize they all relate back to one another. The songs about rotating tires and subwoofers end up being not just about street cred but also about finding catharsis in bass rumble boom-bap or meditating on the circularity of life, or the old car in time machine that takes him back (nostaliga...)

The guy also always seems super nice, super humble, super honest; he just doing what he loves and that simple love probably plays a big part in the success of his music.

It sounds to me like you perhaps know of other young rappers with a similar story to KRIT's but are somehow better or maybe just being overlooked? I dunno, most people don't hear too much good hip-hop, so it's pretty ******* exciting when a young self-made kid with tons of heart is suddenly in the limelight. I don't think I need to even mention KRIT's self-production and ridiculously good beats, no one wants to argue with that. :nodding:

apologies for the essay, got carried away there

Last edited:

comeonyouspurs

Reaction score
Cuz did use "iconoclast" wrong lol

Krit is nice, but I really don't listen to his music. Never really bothered beyond what my friends play in their cars, parties etc. That being said, I'd rather Krit get some more shine than say, true iconoclasts like Odd Future. Krit has a great sound, I do fux with a few songs of his, but you won't find him on my iPod (no hate).

Speaking of Krit, his budy Curren$y just dropped a new tape with Drama. Already saying it tops Covert Coupe even with The Alchemist behind the boards on CC. Here's my favs off the tape (download dat bish at datpiff for free lol):

Mainly caused they flipped the same sample used in this (will forever fux with DOOM's version more though):

And then this smooooth joint:

Oh and mulled over some CIV and WTT talk. That **** gets no love round my parts. I knew WTT was gonna be lame. Once Kanye dropped Polo for Margiela it was a wrap. Cuz whole mentality changed. ******* 808 & Heartbreaks might have been rock bottom in my eyes. ******* "No Ceilings" hit harder than CIV. I didn't even make it all the way through both. Expected better from Wanye, knew WTT was doomed from the start.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

not sure how you're trying to use the word iconoclast but insert that-word-does-not-mean-what-you-think-it-means meme here
Cuz did use "iconoclast" wrong lol
dictionary.com: i·con·o·clast   [ahy-kon-uh-klast] Show IPA noun 1. a person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition. 2. a breaker or destroyer of images, especially those set up for religious veneration. thefreedictionary.com: i·con·o·clast (-kn-klst) n. 1. One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions. 2. One who destroys sacred religious images. merriam-webster.com: icon·o·clast noun \-ˌklast\ Definition of ICONOCLAST 1 : a person who destroys religious images or opposes their veneration 2 : a person who attacks settled beliefs or institutions wikipedia: An iconoclast is someone who performs iconoclasm — destruction of religious symbols, or, by extension, established dogma or conventions. I'd say it's indisputable, considering the context following my usage of iconoclast, that I was using it correctly (see above definitions, highlighted) to express that I don't feel that Big KRIT is on some new vanguard. AndrewRyanWallace - Nah man, you didn't go overboard. That's the sort of discussion that should take place here more often. I actually put Return of 4ever on my ipod and listened to it. I'll probably give it another listen to get a fresher more comprehensive understanding, then I'll respond. I think your defense got some things right but I also think you got some other things wrong.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

This pretty much sums up Danny Brown's story and as a bonus, gives a brief rundown of his life/career.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

This pretty much sums up Danny Brown's story and as a bonus, gives a brief rundown of his life/career.

Considering my latest set of arguments, I feel like I should clarify that I couldn't care less how dramatically appealing an MC's supposed life is. I don't think a traumatic or difficult life elevates one's art any more than a regular or easy life would lessen another's art. That said, I really like this guys stuff. When I have time I need to give him a more serious listen.

Last edited:

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care if a rapper never tells one truth... at the end of the day it's entertainment.

Biggie: "Memba when i used to eat sardines for dinner"

Violetta Wallace: "I never gave my son sardines"

But it was still a hot line.

However, when you're a liar AND your music is trash... you deserve to be chastised for both.

I find Big Krit to be boring TBH. He's not bad per se but I feel like I've heard his story a thousand times. I wish more rappers would get abstract. I love the works of the likes of Ghostface, Camp Lo, etc. One's story is only as interesting as they are able to tell it.

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marvins Room by Drake

I have the feeling that the last four girls wrote this song for him and their version went a little like this:

"**** this ***** that I love so bad,
I still think of all the times we had
**** this ***** that I think I found
and since I called you know hes not around

I think im addicted to CalTex being SF approved
his wingtips make all the young girls drool
my boyfriend is not SF approved
so Im cheating on him to get with you
CalTex you are so smooth
wont you come over and take me to school"

lol you get the picture

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aubrey has raised the estrogen levels in the game to epidemic levels

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dictionary.com:

i·con·o·clast   [ahy-kon-uh-klast] Show IPA
noun
a person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition.
a breaker or destroyer of images, especially those set up for religious veneration.

thefreedictionary.com:

i·con·o·clast (-kn-klst)
n.
1. One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions.
2. One who destroys sacred religious images.

merriam-webster.com:

icon·o·clast noun \-ˌklast\

Definition of ICONOCLAST

: a person who destroys religious images or opposes their veneration
: a person who attacks settled beliefs or institutions

wikipedia:

An iconoclast is someone who performs iconoclasm — destruction of religious symbols, or, by extension, established dogma or conventions.

I'd say it's indisputable, considering the context following my usage of iconoclast, that I was using it correctly (see above definitions, highlighted) to express that I don't feel that Big KRIT is on some new vanguard.

AndrewRyanWallace - Nah man, you didn't go overboard. That's the sort of discussion that should take place here more often. I actually put Return of 4ever on my ipod and listened to it. I'll probably give it another listen to get a fresher more comprehensive understanding, then I'll respond. I think your defense got some things right but I also think you got some other things wrong.

I'm glad you appreciated by breakdown, would love to hear your response. re "iconoclasm" I've never heard anyone refer to KRIT that way I think that's why we were all like 'lolwut?'. If anything I think KRIT is seen as bringing back old school and soul.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

I don't care if a rapper never tells one truth... at the end of the day it's entertainment.

Biggie: "Memba when i used to eat sardines for dinner"

Violetta Wallace: "I never gave my son sardines"

But it was still a hot line.

However, when you're a liar AND your music is trash... you deserve to be chastised for both.

I find Big Krit to be boring TBH. He's not bad per se but I feel like I've heard his story a thousand times. I wish more rappers would get abstract. I love the works of the likes of Ghostface, Camp Lo, etc. One's story is only as interesting as they are able to tell it.

Well put. I wouldn't reduce everything to "entertainment", at least in the purest sense, but with everything else I agree. Also, I never got back to you about Lil Wayne. Basically, I thought about it a bit and you didn't seem like the type that misses a beat, so I'm guessing we just have a different sense of hip hop aesthetics, so I just dropped it. Should have got back to you but I doubt you were really anticipating it.

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
Some of you may have missed this track because it was on a Lil Jon album, but... :slayer::slayer::slayer:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I refuse to listen to KRIT until he makes songs as good as "Children of the World" and "Hometown Hero" again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads