• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All that purple prose

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All that purple prose: (taken from auction) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....03&rd=1
There is a lot of talk about the quality of the French (Hermes) Lobb workrooms and, indeed, they deserve high marks, perhaps the highest marks. Â But the pair of shoes in question here is of a different breed. Â Hermes-Lobb makes shoes, great shoes. Â John Lobb, London, makes sculptures you can wear on your feet. Â No part of the anatomy of the foot is left unconsidered. They are objects of wonder before you put them on. Â You feel you have never held a shoe to compare with this in your hand. Â All the descriptions, all the books on fine shoemaking, a lifetime of rubbing elbows with the premiere craftsmen on three continents all fall short of explaining how the object in your hand was achieved. You cannot see into the work. Â It is simply there and whole. Â And it oozes fineness...without a hint of ostentation...fineness, authority, and let us call a spade a spade, privilege. Â As you reflect on these shoes, you may be actually wearing another pair of Lobbs bought in Paris which you thought represented the panicle of the craft...and suddenly you are no longer sure. Â You still cannot entirely comprehend what you hold in your hand. Â They are in an entirely other realm. Â That, at least, was my reaction.
If this has whetted your appetite, have a look at the shoes themselves. They must be frontrunners in the "ugliest-shoes-ever-made" competition.
d8_1_b.JPG
Grey shoes - yak.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem is not so much with the shoes, per se, but what to wear with them. Grey would be too monochrome, black would look...weird, and blue would just look...wrong.

koji

Leo Jay

Reaction score
The shoes look do odd, but I think it's mainly because of the color. Â I don't particularly care for the styling, but I don't think it's ugly. In fact, though it may not be sartorially 'correct', I don't know that they'd look all that out of place with a traditional morning coat outfit...? Â Though the shade of grey might be a tad too light.
MorningCoat.jpg
Not absolutely sure though -- I'd have to see it 'on'...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
These would go great with a robin's egg blue tux, and a dinner shirt with a ruffled front. Better yet, the Puffy Shirt.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I nominate these shoes from Stefano Branchini:
ste16b.jpg

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Although this one, also from Branchini, is pretty hideous, as well:
ste09b.jpg

Kaga

Reaction score
I nominate the shoes in marc37's sig file.

marc37

Reaction score
d8_1_b.JPG
Grey shoes - yak.
Weren't they the be-spoke Lobbs on Ebay about 2 months ago. Size 8's. Yes l do remember thinking the same thing. Very ugly shoes. Now here are some ugly shoes/boots.
bugs_bunny_front.jpg
bugs_bunny_whats_up.jpg
The ugliest shoes l have ever seen were some bright yellow and white snake skinned loafers [that were posted by T4phage] on this sight about 2 months ago, l cannot find the topic. They were by Branchini [as well] and had a similar styling to Jcusey's

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...They are objects of wonder before you put them on. Â You feel you have never held a shoe to compare with this in your hand. Â All the descriptions, all the books on fine shoemaking, a lifetime of rubbing elbows with the premiere craftsmen on three continents all fall short of explaining how the object in your hand was achieved. You cannot see into the work. Â It is simply there and whole. Â ... Â You still cannot entirely comprehend what you hold in your hand. Â They are in an entirely other realm. Â
Pretty much all this is true though...
sadlike.gif
PS: My vote goes with the second Jcusey post.

marc37

Reaction score
Here they are
BRC0304a.jpg
BRC0304b.jpg

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here they are
BRC0304a.jpg
BRC0304b.jpg
these are babe magnets. I want some, Where can I find them? -

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads