1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

all black suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by findtheshit, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Well-Known Member

i think an all black suit can look rather nice

[​IMG]

I actually don't think it works well in that picture. His chest area looks like a rippling black blob.

2. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Is there any reason why you want to wear all black to a prom?

I did, with a red tie. I thought it looked good, until I got here [​IMG]

At least I can say it fit.

3. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has considered that this might just be a troll.

4. WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt Well-Known Member

If this is for prom, rent a tux. Ask your date what color she is wearing and adapt to her. Do not buy a tux, you probably won't be needing it again anytime soon.

Unless you have money to blow (in which case have at it), don't bother spending too much on a black suit at this point in time. If you're going to buy, buy something cheap that you can outgrow or destroy in your partying years. And then spend on a nice navy suit.

Look into Alfani Red Label or something if you are continuing down this suit path.

5. polarcreamsoda

polarcreamsoda Well-Known Member

i wore black, white french cuffed shirt, and matched the vest with my dates dress.

it works.

6. ktrp

ktrp Well-Known Member

Budget is too high for what you're getting, which is a fashion suit, not something that would be a base wardrobe piece.

Its not what I'd wear, but if its what you want, its what you want. Hit H&M, zara, etc.

7. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Well-Known Member

It's such a nice look. YEAH!

I've never understood this 'match your clothing to your date'. WTF. [​IMG]

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I think a more fun and interesting practice would be to match your clothes to your date's vagina.

9. Barnabus

Barnabus Well-Known Member

I actually don't think it works well in that picture. His chest area looks like a rippling black blob.

it was hard to find pics of black suits that were tailored well [​IMG] its made me realize how many people walk around with poor fitting suits [​IMG]

10. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

Budget is too high for what you're getting, which is a fashion suit, not something that would be a base wardrobe piece.

Its not what I'd wear, but if its what you want, its what you want. Hit H&M, zara, etc.

This. Another option is HUGO, Boss's slim-fit line.

11. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

I just puked. When I see people wearing matching ties/shirt, black ties and shirts, any dark colored shirt with a suit I don't regard them as humans.

12. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Although I do wear black suits (usually if out in the evening and require the use of a suit), I dont quite understand the general loathing for black. There are some here that even hate black shoes.

While it commonly accepted that black anything (apart from shoes perhaps) is bad juju in 99% of occasions, where does this hate come from? Do you all equally hate Black Cars? Black Laptops? Black Bags? Dark sunglasses? Black wristbands? Black TV screen?

The consensus is that black = bad, but where does this arise from? Superstitious victorians? Some old hag hated black, now we hate black? Furthermore, any particular scientific or logical reason why black is bad?

13. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Well-Known Member

Although I do wear black suits (usually if out in the evening and require the use of a suit), I dont quite understand the general loathing for black. There are some here that even hate black shoes.

While it commonly accepted that black anything (apart from shoes perhaps) is bad juju in 99% of occasions, where does this hate come from? Do you all equally hate Black Cars? Black Laptops? Black Bags? Dark sunglasses? Black wristbands? Black TV screen?

The consensus is that black = bad, but where does this arise from? Superstitious victorians? Some old hag hated black, now we hate black? Furthermore, any particular scientific or logical reason why black is bad?

1. Black is the traditional colour of mourning.
    2. Black is worn by certain professions - lawyers, priests, undertakers.
    3. It hardly goes with anything and is a severe absence of colour.
    4. Evening wear is black because it is worn after dark. A normal suit is supposed to be worn largely in the daytime.
    5. The 'all black' is worn by teenagers at proms. Therefore it is not appropriate for any grown man.

14. Barnabus

Barnabus Well-Known Member

I don't get it either its hard to go wrong with black

easy to wear and looks sharp

15. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Well-Known Member

High five black suit while out in the evening buddy.[​IMG]

16. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

1. Black is the traditional colour of mourning.
    2. Black is worn by certain professions - lawyers, priests, undertakers.
    3. It hardly goes with anything and is a severe absence of colour.
    4. Evening wear is black because it is worn after dark. A normal suit is supposed to be worn largely in the daytime.
    5. The 'all black' is worn by teenagers at proms. Therefore it is not appropriate for any grown man.

Point 1 and 2 agreed, although lawyers I know dont do black.

Agree on Point 4, it is the way I wear black. However, many here on Styleforum loathe the black suit or black tux even for evening formal wear. I always thought black suit / tux with white shirt was a fully acceptable evening / night time staple.

Point 3 - black is harder to match for daytime, but night time is a different ballgame. It depends on occasion.

17. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

Point 1 and 2 agreed, although lawyers I know dont do black.

Agree on Point 4, it is the way I wear black. However, many here on Styleforum loathe the black suit or black tux even for evening formal wear. I always thought black suit / tux with white shirt was a fully acceptable evening / night time staple.

Point 3 - black is harder to match for daytime, but night time is a different ballgame. It depends on occasion.

If I bought a tux I would do midnight navy. But almost no one would notice I'm not wearing black [​IMG]

18. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

i think an all black suit can look rather nice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neither looks good. In part, it's because you can't match blacks. You end up with that "almost" match that drives me up the wall. There's no such thing as black. You're just trying to line up different shades and temperatures of very dark gray.

19. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

interesting to watch "trads" advise a kid on a prom outfit.

My recommendation? Don't get your style guidelines from people who have no idea about your social milieu. What's cool in London probably ain't cool in Albuquerque, and vice versa.

Come here to learn about fit, terminology, brands, and fabrics.. but as for style, come up with your own.

Perhaps you missed the name of the forum you joined. It's styleforum, not fashionforum, which is what you're arguing he should follow.

And learn what a fecking "trad" is before you use the word. Fucking amateurs...

20. kasakka

kasakka Well-Known Member

Dark blue will usually look blacker than black under artificial lighting. I don't think it's that bad to go all black, but you may want to wear a very different color tie that is a good contrast but not garish. Yes, all black is generally a "gansterish" look but hey, that can be fun at times. Looks best if you have a slim build though, never wear this if you are in any way overweight or look like a bodybuilder. It's certainly only for the young and slim.

As for combining blacks, I think the whole point is that the shirt doesn't quite match because otherwise the whole would look dull.

But for a prom I bet there will be many who have the same idea you do. I'd go with either a navy suit and light blue shirt with either a navy tie (color between the suit and shirt) or something more pronounced like a red tie. Fit is very important.

Alternatively a grey 3 piece suit would probable be more unique, just make sure you buy one that has a more modern cut or it'll look like your dad's suit.