1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

All about Levi's

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zacharydschroeder, May 6, 2007.

1. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

just gave my LVC 501 37 their first wash after say 3 months of wear... They look great and didnt loose much indigo in the unfaded regions. Quality jeans.

2. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Surely worth a flyer at $25, no?

3. JOA

JOA Well-Known Member

Question about the LVC line (and, more specifically, the '47 model):

Are these all STF jeans, or should you buy your normal waist size (+ or - 1 depending on the model)?

4. Superb0bo

^^all but 505 67 are STF. Buy +2 waist and +2 atleast inseam imo. 47s are one inch undersized, so +3 waist is the way to go to get the "normal" fit.

5. JOA

JOA Well-Known Member

Thanks. Now, I'll just wait for Denimbar to get them back in.

6. seamless74

seamless74 Well-Known Member

or just buy um +1 or regular size and wear the absolute shit out of um then wash......... there will be pain involved however...

7. Lawson

Lawson New Member

My style is mostly American Trad, but I want one classic pair of jeans for rainy days and knocking around the house. Two options that might work are Levi's 501s and Levi's 505s. I am looking for a shade of denim that is considered seasonless and can be worn with light and dark colors. Is the medium stonewash color my best bet?

I have short, somewhat muscular legs and usually slip on Weejuns, boat shoes, or Oxfords. Do I need straight cut jeans, or should I go with flair cut jeans? Will regular fit look OK? What should I keep in mind when trying to find the right waist and inseam for Levi's 501s or 505s?

8. Superb0bo

^^go with raw/unwashed 501s, seems the most trad jeans (since all jeans came raw and dark back in the day). Straight cut is surely the way to go aswell.

9. modual

modual Well-Known Member

Question about the LVC line (and, more specifically, the '47 model):

Are these all STF jeans, or should you buy your normal waist size (+ or - 1 depending on the model)?

Measure your waist 2 inches below navel and buy that size in lvc. 47's are not undersized but some of the others like 44's and 55's are 1 inch oversized. I wear a 29 in apc and 30 in nudie. My waist measures 32" and thats my lvc size. The 47's kind of mould to you which is the purpose of stf so buying them oversized defeats the original purpose. If you stf them in the bath for 10 minutes then the waist / hip wont shrink to far. Course if you want to wear them low on the hips then ignore the above and buy them bigger

10. Superb0bo

^^if he gets his true size in shrink to fit, theyll be really slim... and 47s are 1 inch undersized, atleast the 07 ones.

11. modual

modual Well-Known Member

^^if he gets his true size in shrink to fit, theyll be really slim... and 47s are 1 inch undersized, atleast the 07 ones.

I know what you mean. I've tried a few ways with 47's and if i size up i just end up with too high of a rise and too much extra fabric everywhere. I honestly think the best way to do it is true to size and never machine wash / tumble dry.

12. JOA

JOA Well-Known Member

Well, right now I have a pair of NS in a size 33 and two pair of 501 STF in a 35x36 (though the waist is now a 34). My true waist size is a 34. My problem with the '47s will seem to be that they don't offer odd sizes, so I guess I'll either be getting a 34 or a 36. I don't like tight denim, but I don't like anything too big, either.

Thanks for all the comments, though. Your experience/advice is very helpful.

13. modual

modual Well-Known Member

Well, right now I have a pair of NS in a size 33 and two pair of 501 STF in a 35x36 (though the waist is now a 34). My true waist size is a 34. My problem with the '47s will seem to be that they don't offer odd sizes, so I guess I'll either be getting a 34 or a 36. I don't like tight denim, but I don't like anything too big, either.

Thanks for all the comments, though. Your experience/advice is very helpful.

What size have your apcs stretched out to ?

14. Zahir

Zahir Well-Known Member

So what's the consensus on Levi's Capital E in terms of quality? I found some at the Levi's discount outlet for about $50 and I'm probably going to buy them, but I was wondering how they stack up to the other Levi's lines. This outlet generally sells a lot of factory seconds, and that's what these appear to be, but there's not anything noticeably wrong with them. My thought is that I wouldn't pay full retail but at that price they're a steal.

15. zacharydschroeder

zacharydschroeder Well-Known Member

What's the difference between the 501 and 501XX that are sold in most department stores (JCP, Mervyn's, etc)?

XX indicates that the denim has some shrinking qualities. Even if it is pre-washed, it may still change in size at least a little.

Obviously 501XX are stf, and will shrink the standard amount.

16. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

I've spent a while tonight trying to figure this out by searching SF and Sufu threads, but really just can't find a definitive (or any) answer.

How exactly does sizing work on LVC 1947 501 raw? From what I've been reading, i expect the answer to be roughly "10% shrinkage" (i.e. 35x34 shrinks 3.5 inches in waist, 3.4 inches in height ---> 31.5x30.6 post soak)

However, I have read conflicting information on Tagged sizing (some say that up to 35, are tagged 1 too large. Tagged 34 measures 33, tagged 33 measures 32, etc)

Also, what stretching is to be expected post-soak?

17. ACDoyle

ACDoyle Well-Known Member

Just a review of the $98 501 stf that was on sale at levis.com
    -they are fully selvaged (but no selvage in the coin pocket) and has a leather tag
    -the fabric is 12.5oz (or its stated on the website) though feels a little lighter but the weave looks tighter than regular 501 stf (can see less white thread-the white warp or weft or whatever its called)
    -construction is about the same as a regular 501 stf (not very good-loose threads and cuffs are not chain stitched)
    -they are made in Mexico

As far as value goes-no worth $98 at all- only worth maybe 10 bucks over standard 501. But at $32 shipped, these are worth it and is probably the cheapest selvage jeans available (after the Gap ones)

18. erbs

erbs Well-Known Member

I've spent a while tonight trying to figure this out by searching SF and Sufu threads, but really just can't find a definitive (or any) answer.

How exactly does sizing work on LVC 1947 501 raw? From what I've been reading, i expect the answer to be roughly "10% shrinkage" (i.e. 35x34 shrinks 3.5 inches in waist, 3.4 inches in height ---> 31.5x30.6 post soak)

However, I have read conflicting information on Tagged sizing (some say that up to 35, are tagged 1 too large. Tagged 34 measures 33, tagged 33 measures 32, etc)

LVC '47s are undersized by about 1". They shrink two inches in the waist and will stretch out about an inch or an inch and a half. My size 36 measured 35" pre-soak, shrank to about 33", and has stretched back out to 34.5". I would say size up one or two from your true waist, depending on how slim you want them.

19. modual

modual Well-Known Member

I wear a 29" waist in apc and 32" in lvc 1947 raw. The 47's will always stretch back to the original waist size but will lose length and some width in the thighs, seat, calf area. I have had 33" and 34" in the 47's but they always feel loose even after shrinkage. Honestly the best way to get optimum fit in the 47's is buy them true to size and stf them in the bath / shower. That way they'll mould to you

20. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

modual, what is your measured waist?