1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clintonf, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

Clint - This seems no way to encourage potential customers!

Really? It seems like outstanding custmer service on the part of AS to me.

2. Groover

Groover Well-Known Member

Clint - This seems no way to encourage potential customers!

Bollocks.

It's the ideal way to encourage potential customers. Sit down with AS, discuss what you want and the options available, AS make them, you receive them, everything goes well, you pay for them. If things don't go to plan, AS are nothing but accommodating in getting the product right for you.

I and many others on here have been through this process many times, it works, I now have a great relationship with ALL at AS and they deliver exactly what I want time and time again.

I smell a whiff of a competitor, not too far from AS, just a whiff at present.

3. clintonf

clintonf Well-Known Member

Really? It seems like outstanding custmer service on the part of AS to me.

Bollocks.

It's the ideal way to encourage potential customers. Sit down with AS, discuss what you want and the options available, AS make them, you receive them, everything goes well, you pay for them. If things don't go to plan, AS are nothing but accommodating in getting the product right for you.

I and many others on here have been through this process many times, it works, I now have a great relationship with ALL at AS and they deliver exactly what I want time and time again.

Gentleman, I wouldn't grace this "member" with an answer. It's evident what AS can deliver. If people are worried, they can contact AS. They have nothing to answer here.

The number of pairs of shoes in this thread alone should provide some indication of AS' intention.

Let's leave the troll to go back into his cave - hungry.

Happy holiday's

Clint

4. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Bollocks.

Groover, I can see we are thinking the same way. New members who just have a bunch of inside information? I guess it could happen.

England has some pretty strict anti-competitive laws and they also have some interesting concepts with regard to slanderous or libelous speech about one's competitors. In today's world it is very to trace all this stuff though.

5. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Gentleman, I wouldn't grace this "member" with an answer. It's evident what AS can deliver. If people are worried, they can contact AS. They have nothing to answer here.

The number of pairs of shoes in this thread alone should provide some indication of AS' intention.

Let's leave the troll to go back into his cave - hungry.

Happy holiday's

Clint

You are correct, Clint. Happy Holidays to you as well. I hope to post up my new shoes soon.

6. clintonf

clintonf Well-Known Member

You are correct, Clint. Happy Holidays to you as well. I hope to post up my new shoes soon.

Look forward to seeing your new shoes. In fact, I believe that Groover suggested more and when I get some more funds together, I've got a few in my mind's eye.

Haters gonna hate.

all the best,

Clint

7. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

Well here they are - I went for the AS 48, added a medallion, and went for a red-brown colour. I couldn't be more impressed - so cheers for the inspiration.

[​IMG]

They're in a better class than any other shoes Ive handled - e.g. C&J, Vass, EG RTW. I'm not knowledgeable on construction but the look and feel of these shoes has to be experienced first hand. The leather is flawless, thick and supple; the colouring is rich and lustrous and brings out the grain and texture. The stitching is perfectly aligned and robust. The last and general shape is sleek without being delicate, a perfect balance front and back, and I especially like the low cut quarter. (the shoes also fit v well); and the soles are beautifully beveled and waisted and cut very close to the upper, making the shoes much sleeker than any other double-soled double monk I've seen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And Chay Cooper is a real gent.

these are quite nice thro pity about the seam in the back the make a great shoe rather plain

8. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

these are quite nice thro pity about the seam in the back the make a great shoe rather plain

it's a personal preference due these are MTO.

it's compareable to your seamless love.

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Yeah, +1... I don't really get the fascination with a seamless back. Strange to say that a seam makes a great shoe plain. Who sees a seam? Who cares about it? Let's be real.

10. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Well-Known Member

Yeah, +1... I don't really get the fascination with a seamless back. Strange to say that a seam makes a great shoe plain. Who sees a seam? Who cares about it? Let's be real.

He is obsessed with seamless shoes.

11. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

we know that or should i say? we learned it the hard way... [​IMG]

12. luk-cha

i somehow think he would not have a choice on HOW these were cut, but are these just sorta like the Vale from JLP, i guess adding the seam would make it less likely to be a dirrect copy od interlectual rights etc

we know that or should i say? we learned it the hard way... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

i somehow think he would not have a choice on HOW these were cut, but are these just sorta like the Vale from JLP, i guess adding the seam would make it less likely to be a dirrect copy od interlectual rights etc...
    i dunno either, though he doesn't care for construction options. in fact it's a very traditional british way to do it. [​IMG] for being a good sports on the seamless analogy.

14. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

thank you. re: seam - I will just have to live with the plainness [​IMG] (note to self: stop walking backwards)
    .. if they called it 'Vale' or 'Chapel' maybe, but even then I doubt it. There are no IP rights on swept monks - double or single, with or without seams - and a tragedy for us all if there were. It'd kill bespoke and MTO for a start! As Fritzl suggests, it's prob an English thing. Waste not want not.

15. luk-cha

thank you. re: seam - I will just have to live with the plainness [​IMG] (note to self: stop walking backwards)

.. if they called it 'Vale' or 'Chapel' maybe, but even then I doubt it. There are no IP rights on swept monks - double or single, with or without seams - and a tragedy for us all if there were. It'd kill bespoke and MTO for a start! As Fritzl suggests, it's prob an English thing. Waste not want not.

lol, i guess i think it is these small details that make the difference esp when there is a premium paid

but enjoy the shoes they are nice

16. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

lol, i guess i think it is these small details that make the difference esp when there is a premium paid

but enjoy the shoes they are nice

In the ranges in which AS competes this is the standard method of construction. EG & GG and the others use this similar method. I think these things are important to make sure we don't compare apples and oranges.

17. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Vass Monk back seam left, AS monk right:

[​IMG]

These back-seamed monks and a London 5 eyelet are the only Vass I have with this feature.

18. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Luk I've looked at both the Vass and the AS monks more closely, and it appears to be in the nature of monks (the way the strap has to come over the upper) that the uppers must be made of at least 2 pieces of leather. And therefore at least 2 seams. Vass chooses to use 3 pieces - yes 3 - for the single monk upper, and places 3 seams - one at heel pictured, and one on each side. AS manages to make the upper with only 2 pieces of leather, and therefore 2 seams. Where they are joined is a question of aesthetics. In order to ensure the long unbroken line from toe to heel on the outer side of each shoe AS has place the joins at the heel and at the instep. (below) [​IMG] IMO this is a more elegant and leaner solution than Vass's 3 seams - much as I love the Vass.

19. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

Vass chooses to use 3 pieces - yes 3 - for the single monk upper, and places 3 seams - one at heel pictured, and one on each side.
    AS manages to make the upper with only 2 pieces of leather, and therefore 2 seams.
    IMO this is a more elegant and leaner solution than Vass's 3 seams - much as I love the Vass.

i'm not sure, i can follow your description.

20. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Vass chooses to use 3 pieces - yes 3 - for the single monk upper, and places 3 seams - one at heel pictured, and one on each side.
    AS manages to make the upper with only 2 pieces of leather, and therefore 2 seams.

i'm not sure, i can follow your description.

Vass uses a vamp and two quarters (inside and outside sections have their own quarter) = 3 pieces.

AS does not use a separate quarter for the outside section. The outside goes through from toe to heel = 2 pieces.