1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Beane

Beane Well-Known Member

2. Mike147

Mike147 Well-Known Member

Is the stitching / shape a bit different on the Anatomica model? I stopped by Moulded recently and their ML indy looks a bit different.

I think Moulded should order some U-Tips... They are big on the NST's but the U-Tips are a great looking shoe

3. Beane

Beane Well-Known Member

I contacted Anatomica France, and yes, they have the nicest models, but the prices are high.

4. Beane

Beane Well-Known Member

These is what they had in stock in my size

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. prez

prez Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    black Shell perforated cap toe boots on the Modified last

6. linafelt

linafelt Well-Known Member

^^ Some great looking boots here!

Just curious: I once tried on a pair of Tar Brown modifieds at Moulded Shoe, and they came with a pretty substantial removable insole, which I liked. Do all modifieds have that insole, or was it just that model?

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Most do not.

8. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Well-Known Member

Most don't come with an insole but Moulded can make one for you.

9. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

There is another Alden model that comes with an orthotic. Are you sure you tried on a modified last?

I found Boston Pedorthic very helpful, but Moulded Shoe has a bigger selection.

10. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

yeah the CDI last shoes always come with orthotics. perhaps some modified last ones do as well.

+1 for helpfulness of Boston Pedorthotic. The moulded shoe folks seem gruff in comparison - but since they have a better selection (and are more well known), perhaps they get too many inquiries that don't lead to sales :p

11. jiomitori

jiomitori Well-Known Member

FYI: I've got a pair of black cordovan modified last shoes in size 9E for sale in the marketplace. Thought you all might be interested.

12. Mike147

Mike147 Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb - If the ML shoe or boot purchased at Moulded Shoe has a rubber sole, it tends to come with a removable insert. I've had this throw off the shoe fit for me, as I have my own removable orthotic. However, most people have no problem with the sizing. I haven't seen any leather-soled ML come with an insert.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  13. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

The Moulded guys only seem gruff. They've been incredibly helpful and nice to me for years.

2 people like this.
  14. linafelt

linafelt Well-Known Member

Thanks, good to know. Yeah, the ones I tried on had a Vibram rubber sole (maybe the 2060..?). I actually liked that they came with a removable insole because I took it out and replaced it with my own orthotic and it fit perfectly, whereas with most boots the orthotic makes things too tight and I have to size up (with brings other problems). Ended up not buying the boots just because I was not convince by the shiny tar brown leather; but the fit was nice and the Vibram, though not my favorite style, felt very comfy indeed.

15. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

They are great guys. Go to the shop, it's a total trip.

16. SteveUnLTD

SteveUnLTD New Member

I have two pairs of ML Aldens; a black shell cordovan cap toe and an alpine grain long wing. I had both resoled with the commando at Moulded and the guys did a great job. It really is a shame that Alden doesn't allocate shell to those guys. The shop is a bit dingy but the customer service and work is top notch. I didn't buy the shoes there but in both cases there was no insert with them.

17. zzdocxx

zzdocxx Member

They do the complete recrafting, putting in new cork etc etc ?

I seem to recall reading that they have a Goodyear welting machine there.

I didn't go upstairs and take the tour when I was there, if I get another chance I'll see if they are amenable.

18. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

They have it all - they actually make some insane custom/bespoke shoes. I'm going to have them resole my modified last Aldens when the time comes.

19. zzdocxx

zzdocxx Member

Thanks, sounds like a good option.

20. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

My experience with them for this was not so good.