1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. TheWGP

TheWGP Well-Known Member

This sounds ideal. Need to look into this last.
    +1 - kind of like Barrie but with a supportive instep? Sounds interesting, and I'd love to try it!

2. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Count me in. I was lucky enough to get a pair of shell boots on the Modified Last...sublime is not the word. At the Alden store in NYC, they told me they could do a special make-up for a Ravello LWB on the Modified...I wound up not having the dough at the time, but maybe we can get this off the ground.

4. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

I hope that none of you will take this the wrong way, but I would probably kill you all for the chance to get my hands on something in whiskey cordovan in a 10C on the modified last.

[​IMG]

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

+1 - kind of like Barrie but with a supportive instep? Sounds interesting, and I'd love to try it!

A supportive instep and lacking the stupidly huge heel of the Barrie.

6. scratchline

scratchline New Member

Please add me to the list. Visited Moulded Shoe a couple of weeks ago and they are the best. Am wearing my Modified Last Aldens right now. Would LOVE to see some special make-up shell boots available. Thanks for the effort.

-Mike

7. rebel222

rebel222 Well-Known Member

To me, the modified last looks like a clown shoe. Don't get me wrong, this last is comfortable, but I imagine my grandma's orthopedic shoes are too. It looks like someone put a balloon in the end of the shoe, and blew up the toe box. None of the pics posted show this, but I have owned a couple pair. The last looked like something you would wear if you had a swollen/broken toe.

1 person likes this.
  8. PHILIPBENNY

PHILIPBENNY Member

9. well-kept

well-kept Well-Known Member

To me, the modified last looks like a clown shoe. Don't get me wrong, this last is comfortable, but I imagine my grandma's orthopedic shoes are too. It looks like someone put a balloon in the end of the shoe, and blew up the toe box. None of the pics posted show this, but I have owned a couple pair. The last looked like something you would wear if you had a swollen/broken toe.

That's true for some models but not for others. It seems to depend on the cut and pattern of the particular piece. It's not the case with the boots I own.

10. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

Seriously? Do you not see those boots I posted?

They are even better in person.

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Seriously? Do you not see those boots I posted?

They are even better in person.

That cap toe boot with the double row of stitching is so nice.

12. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

How did I miss this thread? Add me to the list too!

13. Cali

Cali Well-Known Member

You can add England to the list as well. Browns has Modified last shells Boot Shoe Cap toe certainly seems to help the look

14. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

You can add England to the list as well. Browns has Modified last shells

Boot

Shoe

Cap toe certainly seems to help the look

The irony thickens.

15. Profligate47

Profligate47 Well-Known Member

Add me too. Very comfortable in fit, but did not like the limited shell offering. Would love more choices in shell. Thanks!

16. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

^The prices they sell for overseas are insane, and from what I've heard they are very popular (at least in Japan). I think they don't want to undercut their sellers in those markets.
    All they need to do is make them only in sizes US 9.5 and up - BLAMMO you've excluded 90% of the Japanese market.

It really is that simple.

17. rbny

rbny Well-Known Member

I have several pairs of Aldens-mostly in Plaza lasted shoes and chukkas and I also have Barrie lasted chukka and shell cordovan PTB; Trubulance lasted Indy Boot and shell cordovan Hampton lasted cap toed blucher. I find that the Plaza lasted shoes, especially the bluchers, fit me the best. However, none of the chukkas or boots really fit me well since I need a little more toe room since I have a D+ width forefoot but I have narrower heels/ankles and instep. My feet also mildy pronates. Never tried a Modified last but count me in anyway!

18. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

Up for more exposure - there must be more modified wearers out there...

19. GaryRanson

GaryRanson Member

As a 9-1/2 EEE needing a 9-1/2 EEEE due to arch support inserts, I believe I would be a candidate.

Up for more exposure - there must be more modified wearers out there...

20. jiomitori

jiomitori Well-Known Member

Thank you! I haven't posted on styleforum in a while, but I found this thread because I regularly search online to try to find pairs of Modified Last shoes. Please add me to the list. Alden should support their American customers.