1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Alan Flusser shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Jun 26, 2005.

1. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

I was recently at a Syms (what a godawful depressing place) and came across some alan flusser shirts. They were only 14.99 and when i opened one to examine it it seemed like garbage. Do these have any affliation to Alan Flusser himself and his line? Cause it seems like its a disgrace to put his name on such a poor product.

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

Were they short sleeved shirts?

3. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

Unfortunatly not, if they had been i would have picked some off to showcase my elbows

4. cuffthis

cuffthis Well-Known Member

I actually like Syms. If you don't mind spending the time to look, there are often GREAT finds there. I once purchased a RL Polo Ostritch belt with a sterling silver buckle for $19.99. That was easily a $450+ retail belt.

I also found hand rolled silk, linen and cotton pocket squares with great patterns for $5.99 each. The tag said "made in England", that was all. I bought 1 of each of the 20 different patterns.

I also found a pair of RLPL Edward Green's at the Cherry Hill, NJ Syms store. They were not my size, but was a steal at $149 for EG cap toes.

Don't write off Syms completely. Finds like the above can really make your day.

5. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

You can find great things there, i was speaking more about the atmosphere. Its dark and has this overall depressing mood to it, at least this is the case in the NYC store and the store in Rochester that i've been to. I picked up two Italian Calf skin RL belts today for $20, but was looking for cheap Ike Behar shirts and came across the flusser shirts.

6. encooper

encooper Member

I sometimes stop by the Devon, PA store.

If I recall correctly, the "Alan Flusser" shirts are cotton/poly blend.

7. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

Alan has to make a living somehow. I am not sure who owns the rights to his name now, but it is recognizable enough for customers and Syms as a sign of high quality crap.

Carl

8. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Well-Known Member

The shirts that Flusser sold at Saks in his custom shop, and the shirts that he now sells in his current shop were and are top notch.

His top notch items have the label "Alan Flusser Custom" or "Alan Flusser Custom for Saks Fifth Avenue." The lower quality goods which are licensed merely say "Alan Flusser."

Flusser licensed his name for both ties and shirts, and these items are of lesser quality. Flusser also did some work for Steinmart, and I don't know if they carried his name or not. I would imagine that the Steinmart stuff is also low quality.

These licensed goods were not sold in his "custom shops".

9. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

Are the short sleeved shirts at the custom shop? Â [​IMG] edit: ok, that was a little mean....

10. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

The Stein Mart stuff carries his name.  Frankly I don't think the greater clothes-buying public knows who Alan Flusser is and I don't think his name adds much value, but there it is.

It's worth being careful about on ebay -- someone was selling a cashmere sweater from that licensed lower line as a higher-end item.

11. newtrane

newtrane Well-Known Member

Aren't the Flusser shirts made by a guy named Alexander Kabatz or something like that?

12. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

No, by his brother Malcolm X Kabbaz

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

After his conversion to orthodox Islam, he now prefers the name El-Hajj Malik El-Kabazz.

14. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

(RJMan @ June 27 2005,01:50) No, by his brother Malcolm X Kabbaz
    After his conversion to orthodox Islam, he now prefers the name El-Hajj Malik El-Kabazz.
    You mean Iskander al-Kabbaz?

15. jekv12

jekv12 Well-Known Member

I've seen Alan Flusser pants at Steinmart, and maybe golf shirts too.