• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Walnut - What suit color?

Swan Song

Reaction score
Yes

Just about anything excepting black or dark charcoal.

Navy, all blues, med & light grays, olive, blue-jeans, Khaki, lighter shades of brown, tan.

Dress-up or down

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do this with charcoal too. Just avoid black.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those shoes are terrible looking to me.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
No suit. Those just wouldn't right with anything but the most casual of suitings. Think seersucker or cotton/linen.

That's going a little far. They would work with any appropriately colored flannel, including light gray, or with a worsted in a casual pattern such as windowpane.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurt N
That's going a little far. They would work with any appropriately colored flannel, including light gray, or with a worsted in a casual pattern such as windowpane.

True. I'm used to thinking of conservative business dress. You know, because of my chosen profession.

Either case, brown shoes are still more casual even though they are acceptable.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
True. I'm used to thinking of conservative business dress. You know, because of my chosen profession.

Either case, brown shoes are still more casual even though they are acceptable.

Been a practicing lawyer for 30 years. Would wear brown with business suits to all but the highest level courts and would certainly wear those shoes with a charcoal business suit.

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisguyneedsasuit
I am thinking about buying the the AE Ausgusta

It looks like this AE model has two toe medallions.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My issue with the shoe is that AE's walnut does not look like that in person. Its more of a lighter brown. Not sure if that changes anyone's perspective on that shoe for suiting.

Regional concerns also play a huge role in suitability.

guster

Reaction score
Have seen people wear walnut colered dress shoes with charcoal suits. I think you can pull it off as long as the shirt/tie go along. Saw someone the other day with chcoal suit, walnut shoes, light grey socks, dark blue shirt and red tie. No one item was outlandish. Just a lot going on.

For me, I have so many other browns and black shoes I like, I have not yet tried the walnut with the dark grey. But that is my own preference.

coltboy75

Reaction score
I think light to meduim grey would look best. If you are wearing navy or charcoal, stick with merlot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads