1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

AE Strand or McAllister?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mfwt, Apr 27, 2009.

1. baseball_guy

baseball_guy Well-Known Member

2. phillyesq

phillyesq Well-Known Member

I have the Strand and I really like them. Great looking pair of shoes. In some pictures, I like the McCallister; in others, it looks too busy for me. I'd go with the Strand.

3. XFi1382

XFi1382 Active Member

After reading through SF for the past couple of months, here it is, my first post!

Let's blow some life in this discussion :)

As a recent graduate I am now working in business environment (mgmt consulting). However, I'm still regularly at the office, meaning it's suits 60-70% of the team, business casual the other 30-40%.

What I already have:
    - Façonnable: black cap-toe oxfords (looking almost exactly like Strand), used for formal occasions and sometimes with charcoal suit/lighter gray suit
    - Façonnable: walnut cap-toe oxfords
    [​IMG]

- Scarosso: Chocolate brown oxfords
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now over the coming year I'm looking to add at least to 2 more decent pairs to my rotation (at least one decent e.g. AE, and maybe one cheaper for bad weather).

What I expect of the shoes? Well I like my dress shoes to be classy enough for the office and casual enough to be used for weekend wear.

Since all my shoes are (unpurposely) cap toes, I'm wondering if I should opt for the Walnut McAllister. However, I really like the Strand, they are a bit more mature and formal. Nonetheless, I'm only 23 so I think I can still get away with a younger/more casual style.

So what would you guys suggest if I want to add at least one black and one walnut pair to my rotation? I think I'd like the McAllister better on jeans/chino's, but is it formal enough to go to work with?

On the other hand, another option would be acquiringover the next few months:
    - AE Strand Walnut
    - Bexley Edward II black and Chestnut (http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-MMCVPRD-EN.htm?cdPrd=EdwardII&tarification=PROMO&coloris=noir)

This would leave me with 4 decent quality pairs (maybe Scarosso doesn't hold stand in the AE quality class, but it's good enough for now), and two pairs I can use to go to work with in bad weather and weekend to go out with during weekend. If the Bexley's look bad after 2 years, it's still acceptable given they are only 105 EUR (~130USD) a pair. If I than add one decent pair + one beater to the rotation every year, I think I will have a nice collection to choose from in a couple of years.

Maybe one important question. Does anyone of you IS or KNOW SOMEONE in the US Army? I came across this website which notices military personnel get the opportunity to buy AE at extremely advantageous prices! Since I live in Europe, I'm looking to someone very friendly to buy me 1 or 2 pair of AE at this price and ship them to me.

Thanks!

4. XFi1382

XFi1382 Active Member

5. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Well-Known Member

Personally i was ok with what you wrote up until the military thing...those rewards are not for you...they are rewarding soldiers. The idea that you want to take advantage of the system in this way is to me quite disturbing...I'm 4 years your junior and even I know that is wrong. You can make a case for it if you knew the person in real life (i.e if my cousin in the military is willing to help me out as family thats a little different and still not to be abused) but to ask someone to use a military member to help you when they dont even know you to me is a little demeaning to the sentiment of it all.

6. XFi1382

XFi1382 Active Member

It was just a question. If someone doesn't want to do it, he/she will not react. Point. And taking advantage of the system? If I can save 200USD a pair (yes AE cost 330EUR in Europe) by friendly asking someone using a service he has it his disposal, I don't see why I shouldn't. it's not like the whole system will collapse. What I find disturbing is that you find this disturbing. In a way, this is how life works I guess. Asking/returning favors.

7. mixedmajik

I just don't agree with it...not much else to it than that...and trust me I know about high prices...AE's can be around 450+ dollars in Canada...its the cruel reality of not living in the states lol. I think for me I'll be the first to say if it wasn't really having to do with the military I wouldn't mind you doing it if it was say...only lawyers get a discount...I think I just have a sentimental viewpoint on the military...I wouldn't feel comfortable asking my cousin in the military to buy something that is reserved for him and his squad because I can get a discount through him...my parents wouldn't agree with that either...different strokes for different folks that's all...just how I was raised. I'm not saying discounts are bad, I'm just saying there are certain places I won't comfortably go to...if you feel otherwise...that's on you. Hence why its a discussion forum, and we share opinion. Clearly you don't care much for what I said and find your viewpoint more logical...so go with it...I'm not the one who's going to be ending up with some sexy shoes at the end of day or getting some form of prize. So do what you want...it doesn't affect me. I don't get paid or feel intelligent trying to argue on forums or escalate something into one so I won't.

8. XFi1382

XFi1382 Active Member

Thank you for you POV. But I didn't post in this thread to begin a discussion about morality but to get someone's opinion on shoes...

9. mixedmajik

Anyway, I think you have a good idea for your next couple of shoes that you posted with the strand and bexley (never heard of them but I'll be checking out their website now although I'll assume they don't ship to Canada)...Also down the line maybe try and incorporate a burgundy coloured shoe in there also...they are quite versatile also. However you're definitely on the right track...more than most around your age, and more than me in terms of your collection.

10. Badandy

Badandy Well-Known Member

Then perhaps you shouldn't have solicited advice for how to circumvent rules designed to thank the military for their service.

11. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

I have to agree here and withmixedmajik. It's one thing to hop on the coattails of a friends and family discount, or borrow your buddy's 30% off at Gap code. But when you're talking about trying to get a discount reserved for people who put their lives in danger to support their country, that's a whole other level and would rumple a lot of feathers.

Anyway, if you're in Europe, consider Meermin at 160 Euro.

12. XFi1382

XFi1382 Active Member

Since that one question raised so much concern and not at all important, I deleted that section. I honestly just want opinion on which shoes to buy. Strand or McAllister, given my modest current collection :)

mixedmajik, thanks for your comment! I understand the fact that a burgundy is versatile, but for one reason or another, I don't see myself wearing it 'yet'. I dunno why, but for me it's more a shoe colour I'd start wearing when I'm in my mid 30s. Maybe I should change that 'attitude' and buy myself a pair of burgundy oxfords in the next couple of years. Just want to add some more shoes to my rotation to spare each pair a little so I can enjoy my entire collection a little longer.

13. mixedmajik

Fair enough with the burgundy. Don't force it until you really want it for sure, thats something I still to learn with my impulsivity sometimes. Applaud you for that. Seriously though...its really hard to break down strand vs mcallister...just so hard because they're both so good...that said...I just lean slightly more to the walnut strand since its a slightly more established shoe from the AE brand than the McAl....but using the same reasoning the McAl is less commonly seen than the strand so it depends on your value on classic+wellknown vs classic+unique. Also...the strand I think is slightly more versatile since the broguing is enough to make it possible for casual but not excessive so you can still dress it up also. McCall has some more broguing that can be seen as a little distracting in the context of a whole outfit (people staring at your feet) and it also not as easy to dress up in more upper end business casual and business dress.

14. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

If someone is in Europe, buying AEs and Aldens are poor value for money, especially when duties and shipping are taken into account.

15. mixedmajik

What about canada? We get docked crazy shipping customs too sometimes but unlike europe that have alternative brands i dont think canada does...am i SoL?

16. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

Though I don't support exploiting discounts put in place for a group of which one is not a member, I don't think you can make an argument that those who served in Iraq or attacked Libya put their lives in danger to support/defend their country - yet they are still eligible for the discount.

Also, IMO, more than a way to thank them, these military discounts are a way to get regular civilians to buy their products as people are often patriotic and would support a company that offers such discounts to military members. Silly rationale but hey, it works.

17. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

If you live near the border, consider having things shipped to an American depot and just pick it up the next time you head into the US.

CBI USA for Ontario residents at $6 a package is one that I have had good experiences with.

Second, consider buying from Ebay. It is much less likely that you'll be docked taxes or duties so long as you use USPS.

18. XFi1382

XFi1382 Active Member

It's just so hard to hear people talk about AE everywhere on the internet but not being able to buy them at a decent price. I don't think we have anything comparable here in EU. At least not for ~200EUR

19. mixedmajik

Trust me man i know. I've been trying to ask what i can buy since im on a student busget and cant afford AE and everyone responds still by saying buy AE lol

20. XFi1382

XFi1382 Active Member

Exactly :) The next time I'm in the US, I know what to buy :) It's just not worth paying 450USD in Europe for these shoes if you can buy them (in sales) for 200USD in the US...