1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

AE or Alden shoe types

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yanks2182, May 10, 2005.

1. yanks2182

yanks2182 Well-Known Member

Does Alden have any sleek/professional shoes?

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

Depends on what you think sleek should be.  Most people wouldn't use sleek in conjunction with either Alden or Allen Edmonds, although they're certainly a lot sleeker than the clunky square toed shoes favored by the 20-something set. In any event, you can check them out yourself. Alden's home site is www.aldenshoe.com and Allen Edmonds is www.allenedmonds.com. You can also see specially made Alden shoes at www.alden-of-carmel.com.

3. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I'd say the Alden of Carmel fan shoes linked above would be the closest to 'sleek'.

4. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

"Sleek" and "professional" can be two very different things. Neither company has Italian-style sleek shoes (except, of course, for AE's Italian slip-ons, but they're not terribly dressy). Both companies' offerings are, however, very professional looking. Check them out and see what you like.

5. yanks2182

yanks2182 Well-Known Member

I know Alden and AE certainly measure up to high standards as far as professionalism, which is what I'm looking for. By sleek I mean something that isn't as clunky as a square toe shoe.

6. Associate

Associate Well-Known Member

Notwithstanding my problem with the small cap, based on my limited experience, the Park Avenue is the default choice for American, no-nonsense, professional/executive dress shoe. To wit: my uncle, the CEO of a Fortune 500 company and his cronies wear nothing but. So you can never get in trouble for sporting it.

7. cpac

cpac Well-Known Member

thankfully, neither really have much in the way of square-toed shoes.

8. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

For a "sleek" choice from Alden, check out the top row of boots on this page from The Shoe Mart website. Much more of a chiseled toe than I'm used to seeing from Alden (at least based on this picture). It appears that these boots have been made exclusively for The Shoe Mart - probably not the best choice for conservative business attire, however. As an aside, I recently purchased a pair of shell cordovan "irregulars" from The Shoe Mart. As far as I know, this is the only retailer that deals in Alden "irregulars" (I guess there is some sort of minute defect with regard to the shoes I purchased, but I can't find it). Great service and a great price. Highly recommended.

9. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

No generally you get a soft, rounded toe. Of course that means nothing like the more stylish chiseled toe of many of the English makers. Some of the Alden of Carmel Shoes are a bit more chiseled, but no square end Kenneth Cole styles in the bunch. If by clunky you mean KC clunky, you don't need to worry about Alden or Allen Edmonds.