1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Advise on Hermes mens wallet

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by takashi78, Mar 15, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

this is my Hermes wallet. The Euro coins are for added effect

[​IMG]

2. dirkweems

dirkweems Well-Known Member

I will disagree with some earlier posts. It may be just me, but i think your wallet really should be worth more the money inside. After all, nobody really needs to carry wads of cash unless you live in a cash only society/community, in which case I would suggest moving. Credit cards allow you the luxury of only having to carry 100-200 dollars, pounds or euros.

My wallet has lasted me 10 years, and although it looks slightly worn, I want to keep using it even though I have a new one ready to go.

Hermes makes quality leather products and you will likely get 10-15 years of pleasure from owning a quality product. And unlike the $1,500-$2,000 shoes one can only wear once or twice a week, you can use your wallet everyday of the year. Your wallet and your shoes should never look shabby. If you have ever taken out your wallet to pay for dinner, social or business, you know how all eyes on the table move to the wallet.

Go for it. You can do a lot worse than Hermes. And remember, buy cheap, buy twice.

1 person likes this.
  3. hermes man

hermes man Well-Known Member

beautiful car I wish one day i can own my dream car too :slayer:

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

What is it?

5. hermes man

hermes man Well-Known Member

i like the peanut eye SL350 , used to admire this car since i was a teenager

but the car are quite old and from what I heard the electronics are expensive to maintain

so i probably will never be able to afford that ... by the time i can afford one it will be even older

a 2003 sl350 cost 70k$usd+ in Malaysia

a brand new sl350 would cost u 350k$usd

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  6. Alphataru

Alphataru Well-Known Member

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Jesus, 350K would get you a Brunei style squadron here. They don't make the SL under 550 here in the US, but you can get a new one for +/- $90K.

8. Alphataru

Alphataru Well-Known Member

Yup, same thing with Asia.

In Taiwan, a car costs about 2x the US msrp, whereas, in China it costs 2.5, and upwards of 3x the msrp in the US.

Thus, if you see someone driving a Porsche in China, he can easily drive an Aston Martin in the states. If you see someone driving an Aston Martin in China, well, the guy is probably a billionaire.

This is one reason why you see a bunch of college age kids driving Bentlys in Vancourver. Chinese parents send their kids to school in the states, and for the money of a Benz, they can get a Bently... why the hell not? In fact, the dad can visit once or twice a year, and drive it.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Who the f*ck came up with the rule that a wallet shouldn't be worth more than the money inside?

I never carry more than $50 in cash and see no reason to.

10. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

makes no sense though to drive an expensive car in china since nobody cares about traffic rules or red lights and only 500'000RMB as highest insurance compensation...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  11. themodestman

themodestman Well-Known Member

What if you get robbed? I live in a city and like to travel, so generally don't like to carry expensive accessories (except my iPhone, which I ditch before going anywhere overseas). Anyone who has been jumped or robbed wouldn't consider buying a designer wallet.

-B

12. gomestar

That's the exact reason why I tell my wife not to wear her engagement ring past 9 PM. We also replace our watches with simple Casios around the same time. And no evening clutches either, we have a canvas tote bag instead.

13. mafoofan

Really? I've never thought to be that protective in the city. We just make sure to have everything very well insured.

1 person likes this.
  14. gomestar

15. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

I have never lost a wallet. I have lost shoes though.

I had this conversation with some of the young ones at the store recently. I tried to explain it to them and pretty much left it at you'll understand when you get older.

16. takashi78

takashi78 Well-Known Member

LOL didnt know that this thread was still going on....

17. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, where do some of the lesser-known leather makers such as Launer, Valextra or Moynat fall?

Tell that to the guy whose suit I tried on at the Barney's Warehouse sale once. No joke, picked a suit off the rack, went to try it and noticed it looked worn. Upon closer inspection I found a stack of some guy's business cards in the pocket as well as a pass to an industry conference.

Out of curiosity, why a breast wallet then? I always thought much of the appeal was to not have your bills be doubly thick from being folded over, though I suppose stacking cards vertically (if you have a lot) will cut down on thickness too. And speaking of, how is that green wallet breaking in?

Was bored on a Saturday morning, looking at wallet threads and came across it, so sorry to dredge it up again. Out of curiosity, what did you end up with? If you're still waiting, did you ever see this:

http://shop.valextra.it/en_EU/MEN-S...ld1Byb2R1Y3QuanNwP2NkUHJvZHVjdD02ODQ2OQ==.jsp

in this color:

http://shop.valextra.it/en_EU/MEN-S...ld1Byb2R1Y3QuanNwP2NkUHJvZHVjdD02ODQ0Mg==.jsp

I just found out recently that it's possible to place orders directly via email with the main Milan boutique. It can be a bit expensive, as the shipping is roughly equal to the VAT I save, but there are some items I cannot find in the States and everything seems to be available there (even style/color combinations not available online). Expensive but still only about half of what the comparable Hermes wallet would be. A pleasure to deal with, too.

18. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

Oh, and one more thing I just found out: if you're in Asia, the Valextra Japan site has a lot more styles available for order than the worldwide/Italian site.

19. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Face is invaluable

20. mafoofan

I still carry cash and receipts. And yes, not having to stack credit cards and business cards on top of each each other keeps the wallet much slimmer.