1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Advise on Hermes mens wallet

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by takashi78, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

well if that was his reason for getting the wallet you'd have a point, but I don't see anything like that in his post.

Maybe he just likes a nice wallet?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Well-Known Member

You might try calling the NYC shop and asking one of the associates a few questions. You should be able to get most of your questions answered without a visual. I recently bought one at the NYC shop and there is definitely a much wider range there than on the website. It's easiest to pick from something that is in stock, but If you are not in a hurry you can probably do a custom order. I ended up getting one in stock - mostly because I found a colour l liked (I think it's called rouge, a reddish brown). The Hermes marking is very discrete and on the inside of the wallet so you won't be impressing anyone other than yourself, but I suspect you know this already. Personally I think for a frequently used everyday item, a little indulgence is ok whether your other items match or not. Good luck and I hope you get and enjoy your wallet soon!

3. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Well-Known Member

You can have a wallet custom-made to your specs and it will probably cost less than what Hermes charges. There are SF members (e.g., HLow) who make small leather goods.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

The premise underlying much of this discussion is that it is only worth spending money on things other people will see. Honestly, I find that notion repugnant--and it is completely antithetical to real style.

7 people like this.
  5. Willin

Willin Well-Known Member

I think the true question is whether it is worth spending susbstantial sums of money for essentially a logo. To splurge and pay thousands of dollars for a folded over piece of leather which has a singular purpose of holding a few pieces of paper and plastic seems illogical. I think when people buy such things they are really doing it as an exercise in brand whoring but they lack the efficacy to recognize such traits in themselves.

That's just my opinion though - different strokes for different blokes. At the end of the day I don't really care because it's not my money.

:foo::nodding:

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

What function does a jacket serve other than to keep one warm? And what exactly does a tie or a pocket square do? If it is illogical to pay more for things whose functions can be served less expensively, than very little discussed on this forum makes any sense at all.

Now, you could argue that jackets, ties, and pocket squares are things that other people regularly see. But that is neither here nor there, unless one is merely image-driven. Instead, consider that some people may like to enjoy nice things on their own, regardless of whether others appreciate them. I like my wallet because it feels nice to me and because I like looking at it. I approach clothing more or less the same way.

1 person likes this.
  7. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Obviously never seen the episode of Cribs with Shaq in it.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

You should post a new picture of yours. How is the patina coming along? Anything notable?

9. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Off you go then.

You should understand that spending a large sum of money on a wallet will bring this quite reasonable reaction. If you want one then check their web site for styles and then go out and get it, You do not need permission

10. patrickBOOTH

Or get a bespoke one the way you want it.

11. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

how unfortunate

12. patrickBOOTH

How about a really expensive haircut?

13. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Wow. I never thought wallets could be such a controversial topic.

Hi Takashi,

I did briefly consider an Hermes wallet a few years ago, but I decided it was too much money for a very small piece of leather, although I do appreciate that they use a double saddle stitch which is very strong and durable. For me it wasn't simply the price that caused me not to buy it, it was the fact that it was only leather and not croc , aligator or something exotic for that money. Also, as someone that worked at stores that sold leather goods (hand bags, wallets, and briefcases), wallets are one of the least durable items a person can buy. Often times people overstuff them, stretching the skin and stitching, and they look like junk in 3 years. If you are going to use it everyday, its just not going to last very long. In the end, I saw a beautiful Ralph Lauren alligator wallet, and the inside panels of the wallet were also lined in aligator (many times crocodile/alligator wallets use calf skin on parts other than the exterior surface). It was originally more expensive than the Hermes calfskin wallet, but it was on sale, and RL had sent a coupon for an additional discount and it ended up costly me about $200 less than the Hermes.

I don't use my RL alligator wallet everyday. For everyday use I have a Porsche Design wallet with a pebble grain finish (in dark green) that has held up quite well. Pebble grain hides scratches pretty well and tends to be a bit more rugged/durable than smooth calfskin. I bought the RL because I wanted a nice wallet for evenings out with my wife, or if I'm very dressed up. I don't want to be wearing a nice suit and have a ratty looking everyday wallet when I go to pay for things. To me its a little like wearing a cheap watch or cheap cufflinks with a nice suit. My watch and/or cufflinks are under my shirt sleeves most times so they only gets appreciated when I specifically check the time, but I know they are there and I know they are good quality. I've owned lots of wallets over the years (several were gifts) LV, Gucci, Prada, Porsche Design, and I've generally found most brands if used everyday rarely look good beyond 3 years.

I really like Hermes leather goods. I think they make some of the best leather goods, and my wife has 3 of their handbags. Their hand bags are considerably more expensive than most offerings from LV, Prada, Gucci, Bottega Veneta, Ferragamo etc, but a hand bag is larger, requires more matterial and you can see more of the workmanship on a handbag than on a wallet, hence I think it makes more sense for people to buy their handbags than their wallets.

Below is a quick photo of my alligator wallet.
    Best regards,
    Dino
    [​IMG]

Quick inside view showing alligator inside rather than calf
    [​IMG]

14. Made in California

Made in California Well-Known Member

All jokes aside, I would urge you, if you're still there OP, to read that thread linked earlier on that everyone keeps referencing and see if you still *want* a wallet from H (see how annoying that single letter abbreviation is?). The company has a general attitude that comes across only too clearly in Matt's exchange, which corroborates the stuff you'd read in Bringing Home the Birkin. It's not a company I'd be happy to support or look forward to a "relationship" with. This is likely where a lot of the attitude comes from in other people's responses, also.

15. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

What are the details on those cufflinks, simply awesome!

16. takashi78

takashi78 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dino for the reply!

Yup i read mamoofan's thread and was one of the first few i read on this forum. I do agree to an extent on what happened to him.

Fact is, i live in Malaysia so i do not have access to small artisans which makes these products for less, even if i do order from online, it will end up getting taxed heavily when it reaches me.

I am however traveling to San Francisco in a yrs time so maybe i will check out some shops there and April In Paris that a lot of you are speaking highly of.

Reason i am posting here is also the Hermes website has little to none pics of the wallet.

But i am also open to other ideas.

17. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

I use a crocodile card holder, and don't ever carry more than $30 with me... haha, I don't know why people don't switch to plastic.

18. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

+1 on those cufflinks :slayer:

19. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

You must be new here. NOOB.

20. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Hi takashi78, mind me asking, do you know this guy? www.sohighfashion.blogspot.com I believe he's a fellow countryman of yours. He goes by the name of Hermes Man on SF. A self confessed brand whore, describes himself as "Chinese Alpha Male".

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012