1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Truism, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Truism

Truism Member

Hey all. Thanks for the responses. As you may have recognized from the post title, I came into this kinda negative. Didn't seem like this guy could make it onto the street without "Night Fever" playing in the background to justify it. Thanks to Klobber and cptjeff in re the lapel narrowing and possibly selling it forward. With Halloween this month I might try to incorporate it, but it might be better off in some collectors' hands or something. It's a weird one to stumble upon- flipped up the lapels basically come up to my ears.

Who knows? It's been about 20 years since the 70s were back in style. Maybe a resurgence is nigh. Meantime, I'm gonna bust out my men's belted sweater and mega point collars

2. jessedarko

jessedarko New Member

I would have to agree with nearly everyone else. Do not wear this suit.

I would, however, keep it for theme parties and halloween.

3. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

OP: do yourself a favor and ignore most of the trendy/ignorant responses you have received here so far. If this was handed down to you, you will want to keep it, no matter for what occasion. From experience: if you don't, you are going to regret it.

4. Drudged

Drudged Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of bigger lapels, but the jacket is beyond anything that I would deem wearable. As others have state though, a competent tailor might be able to slim them down to your liking. Also, I kinda like the large patch pockets.

The pants are an easy alteration though, and can be trimmed down to a slimmer straight leg without much difficulty. I don't see a reason that you couldn't keep the waistcoat as an odd vest for layering purposes.

5. Chillax

Chillax Well-Known Member

Post on Ebay as a period piece
    ?
    Profit!

6. PregnantBob

PregnantBob Well-Known Member

Even though Tom Ford is channelling the old YSL catalogues

http://www.tomford.com/#/en/menswear/autumnwinter2011?styleNumber=12

... it's still smaller. I think getting the lapels trimmed down a tad will work... should you want to keep it at all.

Won't lie, I have a YSL rive gauche suit by Stefano Pilati and it's almost like yours except the lapels are the size of the Tom Ford ones above and I had the flare legs tapered in. Now it's a decent garden party suit.

7. cassidy96

cassidy96 Member

not a fan either. it's not something that i will wear on a daily basis, but as a costumer - halloween perhaps?

8. Singular

Singular Well-Known Member

Making something wearable of it is too much of a headache. Save it for a good laugh, and those 70s theme parties.

/M

9. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

The waistcoat you can salvage for casual wear.

The coat lapels are simply too wide to save. You'd need a talented tailor and several hundred dollars to make it work.

The trousers are probably salvageable, but ultimately you have to ask whether you like them as odd trousers.

The advice to flip them or keep them as "costume" is good, not much alternative i'm afraid.

10. Leonwich

Leonwich New Member

I'm no fashion guru, but I do love suits froms the 70's.
    I think it's a matter of attitude.
    I've wear a blue Gucci double brested suit to weddings and it has been a hit!
    From your pictures I can tell that I would defenetly wear it, specially if among friends or to a night club, even to a date. And if you dont think you are going to feel confortable wearing it, I guess you might need to limit its use to "fun" ocations.
    You are young and you can put on whatever you want, just do it with style; when I have done so, I have enjoyed the fun and the luck of daring to be different ( if you get what I mean).
    But, if you are still not willing to go out in the suit... well, I will always have room for it in my closet and I good ocation to wear it! (promise will send pics)

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

If it has been in the family for a while, it's worth keeping for sentimental reasons. Whether you wear it is up to you. With lapels like that, you would need an extra wide tie to balance it out. You can have it altered if you have a good tailor, but if you want a contemporary look you're better off buying a new suit. I would think part of its value is the authentic look from the time period. Best of luck.

12. VictorCelania

VictorCelania Member

Welcome to the forum, first off! This suit is obviously from around 1975. I wouldn't advise wearing this to a working environment or any kind of formal occassion, for the simple fact that the details, fabric and cut are all from that era and look out of place in current times. That being said, I have plenty of musician friends (mostly traveling busking musicians) who wear these suits with confidence and have made it part of their "look". In regards to what people have been saying about slimming lapels and pant legs, etc.; I think you would truly be wasting your money. No matter what you do to this suit it will always look like the era it came from because there's no changing the fabric. If this has significant personal meaning, then sure; keep it around, if not, I would advise buying a modern cut. You have to also understand that even when fashions come back, they come back anew with new innovations in fabrics and details that give it the modern aesthetic.