1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Advice for my new shell cordovans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mizanation, Jul 27, 2006.

1. mizanation

mizanation Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I finally bought my first grown-up shoe. I went with the Alden burgundy shell cordovan lace-up boot. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

when i tried them on in the store, they felt pretty good. however, after i bought them, my right foot on the right side is having occasional pain. my left foot feels perfect.

i've heard that shell cordovans do not stretch as much as calf-skin, so is there anything i can do to make my right foot fit better?

is it better to just "break them in?" i've heard conflicting reports on whether it is good or necessary to do this.

thanks in advance,

miz

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Great boots, welcome to the club!

3. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

I'd wear them for 3-4 hours at a time for a while and see whether the pain persists.

4. mizanation

i've been wearing them at work for the past 3 days. pain comes and goes as my foot swells and shrinks.

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

i've been wearing them at work for the past 3 days. pain comes and goes as my foot swells and shrinks.

is your foot swelling a lot? might be a medical problem if its excessive.

for future reference, buy shoes towards the end of the day. your foot should be at its largest then.

6. grimslade

I definitely would not wear them everyday until you've given them a chance to break in.

7. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

I definitely would not wear them everyday until you've given them a chance to break in.
    And then wear them no more often than every other day. While they're resting be sure to use shoe trees. If they're not extremely tight, it sounds like you just need to break them in. Shell cordovan will conform very well to your feet, I just find that it takes a little longer than calfskin. Nice boots!

8. mizanation

thanks everyone for your help. looks like i have nothing to worry about.

also, looks like i'll need to buy another pair so i can alternate! ;-)

thanks again.

9. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Do you live in the northern hemisphere?

It's summer right at the moment and in Europe (don't know about the States) a rather hot one.
    If, in this heat, you even get into your boots, they're gonna be fine in somewhat colder temperatures.

10. mizanation

Do you live in the northern hemisphere?

It's summer right at the moment and in Europe (don't know about the States) a rather hot one.
    If, in this heat, you even get into your boots, they're gonna be fine in somewhat colder temperatures.

thanks for the tip, i didn't know about that.

i'm in nyc, and we just finished having a record breaking heatwave. now, it's just hot and humid, while before, it was like being in an oven. so, i should be fine in a couple months...

11. grimslade

And then wear them no more often than every other day. While they're resting be sure to use shoe trees.

If they're not extremely tight, it sounds like you just need to break them in. Shell cordovan will conform very well to your feet, I just find that it takes a little longer than calfskin.

Nice boots!

I should have added that as well. You'll be surprised how much longer your shoes last if you don't wear them every day.

What I meant to say is, especially don't wear them everyday when you're trying to break them in. Your feet need to rest too!

12. mizanation

I should have added that as well. You'll be surprised how much longer your shoes last if you don't wear them every day.

What I meant to say is, especially don't wear them everyday when you're trying to break them in. Your feet need to rest too!

got it, will do. just with i had another pair of alden cordos. my black taxtos will have to do.

13. grimslade

got it, will do. just with i had another pair of alden cordos. my black taxtos will have to do.

Better, at least in my opinion, to take care of good shoes you've got by alternating them with less-good shoes than to overtax the good ones.

14. mizanation

i got another tip from the guy from http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com.

he said, that you can send the shoes back to alden and have them stretch on a wider last for a week.

good to know for the future.

15. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

i got another tip from the guy from http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com.

he said, that you can send the shoes back to alden and have them stretch on a wider last for a week.

good to know for the future.

I recommend you try to break them in first. Stretching could leave you with shoes that are too wide and/or don't conform to your foot as closely as you'd like.

16. j

j Well-Known Member

Depending on the part of the boot that's tight, there are various options. If it's not giving you a blister or anything, just break them in naturally. However, if for example the little toe area is rubbing, breaking them in naturally will result in an ugly "outdentation" at that area, and you would be better off having them stretched a bit. You can also use slightly large shoe trees or jam regular ones in there harder than usual to stretch them a little. This works better if done right after a long wearing session so the leather (shell) is more damp and pliable.

With some more specifics, more suggestions could be made.

Nice boots, BTW.

17. michaelwood

michaelwood New Member

mizanation-
    great looking boots! Are these a special order from alden?

18. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

As some people already implied, shell cordovan is a good deal hotter than calfskin. Lace-up boots are considerably hotter than shoes. Wearing them in a heat wave seems positively masochistic. While not without a certain sturdy, Alden-ish charm (at least if you're into dress boots of that type), those boots really don't look at all "summery"...at least to me.

19. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

Those are very nice boots. Have you tried thinner socks?

20. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

I like them, but they seem like an odd choice for a first pair of "grown-up shoes". I can't see wearing them with anything except khakis. Would you wear them with a suit or dress slacks?