1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Advantages of a $1000 Pair of Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MCanavan6, Aug 20, 2012.

1. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

it was tongue in cheek.

2. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

long solved. read rikod's post.

3. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

a proxy cannot help when the order is screwd, can they, respectively, will they?

4. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

actually you bought several alden's, which is interesting when looking at your timepieces.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

this is golden

6. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

It's true man.

Hell, as long as the fit is good and the styling is conservative I wouldn't necessarily notice the difference between mid-tier (e.g. Carmina) and bespoke.

That's why I don't get anything that Gdot is talking about with his "creative" career or whatever. How anyone can tell the difference between mid and top tier shoes just by a glance is beyond me. Well, on a seamless wholecut or something you'd know, but on a conservative shoe there's not really anything exterior to distinguish.

Unless he's saying you should buy attention-grabbing shoes, but that's something entirely different.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  7. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Thus my hesitation on Vass for now. Seems like getting Saint Crispins is a more reliable deal since there's a store 1 hour flight away...

8. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Very true. It's hard to tell the difference from 6 feet away unless its some painted/patinated shoes like EG or Berluti...

But Gdot's argument does make sense on the attention-grabbing shoes part...

9. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

not necessarily. it is possible. it takes a while, though.

actually, i preferred the look of C&J and Church's to EG when compared in person. each to his own.

10. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

it wouldn't hesitate me. they are not really compareable due to the differrent philosophies and target groups. the possibility to try them on in person beats every other option, imo.

11. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Like I mentioned above, I like to check things out a bit on my own first. I did this when purchasing timepieces as well. I didn't go for the most expensive in my collection right away, as my interest grew and my tastes changed since I first started. My watch collection reflects this as well. I've owned other watches prior to some of those that I have now, and my collection now reflects my current interests. But the amount it cost doesn't always determine it's true value to me or I probably wouldn't still own my Speedmaster Pro.

Shoes are a recent interest and hard to say how much of an interest I will have in a couple of months from now let alone a year or a decade from now. I'm just checking it out right now. I am amazed by some of the shoes I see here though. So I'm just looking for now. I do find them very nice looking and some of the discussions here are very interesting.

12. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

alright, i can hear you walking.

a deceiding factor with shoes is their availability in terms of trying them on in person - the best shoe is the one that fits. sounds simple, it isn't always...

my speedmaster saved my left hand from disasterous injuries - true value is not measurable.

13. dddrees

I think your absolutely correct sir.

Fit is very important, but style, elegance, and class are immeasurable.

14. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

actually, i combine them. it works great.

15. dddrees

Absolutely, how can anyone disagree with that.

16. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

take your time what styleforum dishes out... no need to be afraid. it's a busy place, though. enjoy the ride.

17. dddrees

Thank you sir, I look forward to it.

18. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

I agree with you if we are talking a plain black cap toe. VERY few people would notice the difference. As the only visible differences are minimal. Mostly they would be in the shape and contouring of the last. And If one choses lasts very conservatively about the only visible difference would be the tightness of the waist and perhaps the shaping/finishing of the sole edging. And these subtle difference would indeed not be noticible to anyone but the wearer.

I'm am certainly not saying that one should buy attention grabbing shoes as a matter of course. What I am saying is that there are perfectly valid reasons to do so and perfectly valid reasons to spend 1k on a pair of shoes. Those reasons being something other than the raw functionality/length of wear.

Unless, of course, you can show me a $500 pair of shoes that looks like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or this after 20 wearings or so:
    [​IMG]

There are no substitutes for quality craftsmenship and materials and creative design.

Whether or not you 'need' these things is indeed a question.

19. dddrees

I think it's more in regards to what you appreciate and aspire to own and wear. The fact that you know and notice these differences is what matters the most.

Great looking shoes!!!

20. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

i agree to disagree...

1 person likes this.