• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advantages of a $1000 Pair of Shoes

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you acknowledge that you include increased craftsmenship or materials for the sake of aesthetic appeal as part of your definition of quality?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to take this thread off the topic of bitching at one another... How does one go about getting a pair of Vass for $550 (assuming that means $550 to my door, not with an extra $100 in shipping and customs fees)?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting.

So, what else is there to define quality that I have missed?

Craftsmenship for the sake of craftsmenship?

Craftsmenship for the sake of tradition?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting.
So, what else is there to define quality that I have missed?
Craftsmenship for the sake of craftsmenship?
Craftsmenship for the sake of tradition?

let it go chief

hanskl

Reaction score
I think
foo.gif
pretty much nailed it.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes have become an art for many. The only problem I have with this is that shoes get damaged so easily. That's why I appreciate nice suiting over shoes... that's not to say I don't like the best of both.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes have become an art for many. The only problem I have with this is that shoes get damaged so easily. That's why I appreciate nice suiting over shoes... that's not to say I don't like the best of both.

Suits go through wear and tear as well and are as easily damaged. Old suits and old shoes are what makes them unique, special, and personal.

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

Suits go through wear and tear as well and are as easily damaged.  Old suits and old shoes are what makes them unique, special, and personal.

Well made Shoes will outlast any suit, However, Well made suits will outlast anything, that is if you do not gain too much wait.
You are more likely to change suit size than shoe size. I will always put my money on a MTO/ bespoke made shoes over any other sartorial item in my wardrobe.

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can promise you that if you frequented the world's finest hotels and spent your time in meetings with the people that frequent them, that you would very quickly see that amongst that crowd those who wear top tier RTW and bespoke shoes represent perhaps 50% or more of the upper echelon. Of course this is a very rarified environment, I do admit that. .

LOL, you've watched too much TV.
People are top tier hotels are new money trash wearing sweat pants and t-shirts.
And the people there on business are wearing Men's Warehouse suits and square toed shoes.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL, you've watched too much TV.
People are top tier hotels are new money trash wearing sweat pants and t-shirts.
And the people there on business are wearing Men's Warehouse suits and square toed shoes.

Well, perhaps in your experience. But not in mine.

Of course those people do exist in such places. But there also are a high number of men who are well turned out.

I can only presume that it is you who watches too much TV. Or that your experience is limited to the US. In which case I can somewhat agree.

However, in much of the rest of the world there is still an appreciation for dressing well. And you will often encounter businessmen who are well tailored and expensively shod, if not sartorially inspired.

I find it fascinating that people come on around here and attempt to tell others that their own personal observations of their professional/work environment is false and baseless. Surely you realize that I have eyes, and pay attention to what is going on around me. How on earth can you presume that your knowledge/experience is more accurate if you don't have the same exposure/experience?

My guess, is that people think that I am implying that I am somehow better, richer, of a superior social class, etc. etc. Yet over and over again I make it clear that I am just corporate VP level paygrade in a creative industry who happens to work in the top tier of luxury hotel design around the world. I'm not rich, or priviledged - but many of my clients are. That's all I'm saying. That I have a unique exposure to a certain sort of lifestyle that few others here happen to have personal experience of. It's no big deal.

I cannot comprehend how it is so hard for people to imagine that when conducting business with these people that one does well to look expensively dressed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads