1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Absolute max to spend on a Zegna Z suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DGP, Sep 10, 2006.

1. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

I was in Bloomingdales yesterday and they had some of these for half off retail, so about $500. How much more is that than what one should spend for these suits? I liked a couple of them, a lot actually, but I know that the construction on these isn't amazing. As far as where one could get them cheaper, I don't order suits on ebay or anything like that, and I never see Zegna anything on STP, so it seems that a retail store sale is about as good as I'll do. The ones on Bluefly are more expensive, and many of those have pleated pants as well. So, someone, please talk me out of it, lol!

2. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Don't do it. Save if you can and buy a non fused suit. It really will last you much much longer. If you do buy a fused, go for it only under $500. But if you really like them, they are nice looking slim suits, just be aware of how they hold up. Z Zegna does have some cool looking suits though. Very hip!

After than you can acquire a full canvassed RTW via Ebay, WFinest, virtual clothes horse for 800 to 1k to 1.5k. Do not dry clean often a fused suit, you'll be sorry you did.

A FC suit just survives dry cleaning so much better and the material difference is like night and day.

Z Zenga is going after the Boss Crowd. Z Zegna is the lowest on Zegn'a food chain. I don't think they are a wise purchase unless you are only going to rarely wear them for style over substance.

3. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

Don't do it. Save if you can and buy a non fused suit. It really will last you much much longer. If you do buy a fused, go for it only under $500. But if you really like them, they are nice looking slim suits, just be aware of how they hold up. Z Zegna does have some cool looking suits though. Very hip!

After than you can acquire a full canvassed RTW via Ebay, WFinest, virtual clothes horse for 800 to 1k to 1.5k. Do not dry clean often a fused suit, you'll be sorry you did.

A FC suit just survives dry cleaning so much better and the material difference is like night and day.

Right now, I need to go quantity over quality, because I wear suits 4-5 days/week, and only have like four or five I actually wear. One of them is a MTM Zegna, full canvas, and you are right it's a lot nicer (though I haven't worn it yet cause it needs some alterations). However, I need to get up to about ten suits so I don't have to wear them as often. I scout the various Nordstrom Racks and Off 5ths, but haven't found too much great stuff yet. I do think I will wait to see if they take another markdown soon though.

4. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

$500 is a bit more than I would consider paying for Z suit given that I can buy a Corneliani or Samuelsohn for the same price (or less) or a Canali or mainline Zegna for a couple hundred more. Although I haven't bought one in a while, my limit price for fused suits is probably between $300 and $400 depending how much I like the style. That said, if you really like the suit then go for it. As soph says though, understand you are buying a suit that has a more limited life span and dry clean very sparingly.