• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A wireless router that doesn't suck?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have a wireless router that drops connections or has other random intermittent problems (and it's not interference or a firmware problem), anecdotal evidence on various networking forums seems to suggest that putting them on an power conditioner will help tremendously. Apparently most consumer models have flaky power supplies.

Other than that, make sure the router has the latest firmware and your wireless card/chip has the latest drivers.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
See I thought all this intermittancy that I experienced on my wireless was some sort of techno-impotence of mine, but if teh g33k has the same issues....

Fortunately, I have a 6-node wired network in place at home, I just use the wireless for when any of us are wandering with laptops.

~ H

In g mode you can play around trying to find a channel that's subject to less interference, but it is hit and miss. I haven't played around with it much at work. We have some new cisco gear that I will install when I have time before I quit, and I suspect that will be much better than the consumer stuff (I would guess it probably puts out a stronger signal and is perhaps more sensitive), but if you read any networking forum, wireless problems always constitute a large % of threads. I would never recommend it as a primary solution, even as speeds increase.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
If you have a wireless router that drops connections or has other random intermittent problems (and it's not interference or a firmware problem), anecdotal evidence on various networking forums seems to suggest that putting them on an power conditioner will help tremendously. Apparently most consumer models have flaky power supplies. Other than that, make sure the router has the latest firmware and your wireless card/chip has the latest drivers.
Yah, all my stuff is on backups, so it should be conditioned power. Being in the sticks I have a lights-dim transient voltage dropoff a few times a month and a half-dozen full failures a month and I don't like to have to miss my appointed SF surfing....
Originally Posted by GQgeek
In g mode you can play around trying to find a channel that's subject to less interference, but it is hit and miss. I haven't played around with it much at work. We have some new cisco gear that I will install when I have time before I quit, and I suspect that will be much better than the consumer stuff (I would guess it probably puts out a stronger signal and is perhaps more sensitive), but if you read any networking forum, wireless problems always constitute a large % of threads. I would never recommend it as a primary solution, even as speeds increase.
Yeah, have tried switching channels, I tried everything, but some days it's just bad, others it's great and I didn't change anything in between! Seems to be expected and common, then.... ~H

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Yah, all my stuff is on backups, so it should be conditioned power. Being in the sticks I have a lights-dim transient voltage dropoff a few times a month and a half-dozen full failures a month and I don't like to have to miss my appointed SF surfing....

Yeah, have tried switching channels, I tried everything, but some days it's just bad, others it's great and I didn't change anything in between! Seems to be expected and common, then....

~H

Yep. You've got DIY skills so run some cable. :p

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
I have a laptop connected to it wirelessly from another room, doing heavy P2P to the internet and a lot of internal data transfer. I have a wired gigabit ethernet switch that connects to the Linksys router, which in turn has two servers with two gig ports apiece, a Slingbox, an XBox, and a printer connected to it.

P2P kills it quickly, but even just FTPing a large file from my laptop to one of the wired machines will do it eventually. Only a power cycle will bring things back to life. I've tried two different models, and more than one example of each.

Are you running mission control at your house your somerthing? You prolly have too much stuff hooked up to it.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why? I'm addicted to watching the latest movies and listening to lots of music!
And not paying for it. Awesome deal if you can get it! (Well for you, not the people you steal it from)

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
We use Buffalo, and it seems to work okay. But it is only used for internet and email.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Yep. You've got DIY skills so run some cable. :p
Yeah I have six jacks scattered about -- the wireless is for sitting on the porch, in the john, down at the barn, that sort of thing. ~ H

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We use a Buffalo (G125 or somethign like that) with dd-wrt and it works GREAT. Unfortunately, they are not allowed to sell them in united states anymore...really hoping it does not die since it would be very hard to replace.

I think the best option is finding a wireless-g router that runs DD-WRT or Tomato and reflashing the firmware. A lot of these consumer routers have decent hardware but horrendous software that causes nasty dropouts, especially with heavy p2p. Reflashing with DD-WRT or Tomato firmwares is pretty easy and will solve a lot of your problems.

doublebucklemonk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
We use a Buffalo (G125 or somethign like that) with dd-wrt and it works GREAT. Unfortunately, they are not allowed to sell them in united states anymore...really hoping it does not die since it would be very hard to replace.

I think the best option is finding a wireless-g router that runs DD-WRT or Tomato and reflashing the firmware. A lot of these consumer routers have decent hardware but horrendous software that causes nasty dropouts, especially with heavy p2p. Reflashing with DD-WRT or Tomato firmwares is pretty easy and will solve a lot of your problems.

Here's an article on the new Netgear Open Source Router that can use Tomato or DD-WRT.
http://hackaday.com/2008/06/29/netge...source-router/

And here's an article on how to hack your Linksys with Tomato.
http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-yo...er-with-tomato

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
And not paying for it. Awesome deal if you can get it! (Well for you, not the people you steal it from)

No, it's a fantastic system: the people I download it from get to keep their copy as well. No stealing necessary.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it's a fantastic system: the people I download it from get to keep their copy as well. No stealing necessary.
It is stealing no matter how much you try to justify it.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
It is stealing no matter how much you try to justify it.

I wouldn't care to justify it.

I'm just pointing out that that word does not mean what you think it means.

(I stole that phrase from a movie I downloaded.)

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't care to justify it.

I'm just pointing out that that word does not mean what you think it means.

(I stole that phrase from a movie I downloaded.)

Cool. When people no longer profit from art then there will be no new art. Go you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads