• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

sharkrunner

Reaction score
Masunaga produce only for Kenzo Takada
Persol (type edition) is a poor copy of Masunaga
Masunaga uses beta-titanium and high quality acetate
Persol is Luxottica :( cheap made in Italy
Masunaga is made in Japan and it's the oldest eyewear company

in photo is Cutler and gross, model 1085
and Oliver Peoples clipon for OP-505

canatoot

Reaction score
Very informative thread! Ever had any experience with pieces from DITA or DITA x Thom Browne?

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Very informative thread! Ever had any experience with pieces from DITA or DITA x Thom Browne?
They're on my wish list. I haven't owned any, but I've tried them out in store and was impressed with the quality. They're particularly good at using intricate details without compromising the overall functionality of the product.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Thanks for your efforts on this thread. What are your thoughts on Maui Jim?

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Thanks for your efforts on this thread. What are your thoughts on Maui Jim?
I usually recommend them to people who are looking for a good pair of sunglasses but don't want to dip into the really high end. Their optics are some of the best in the industry, and many people believe they are the best period. Clarity and polarization with them are excellent, and they have a proprietary bigradient mirror on some models that darkens the lens towards the periphery of your vision. I haven't had to use it, but I've also heard rave reviews about their customer service. The frames are good quality for the price, but as expected not quite as nice as higher end brands, and their styles tend towards more conservative. I'd say they're my favorite mid-tier brand along with Serengeti. They have the added advantage of being popular enough to be stocked by most major stores to try on (I believe they're the only independent brand Sunglass Hut still stocks, for instance).

lovelux2010

Reaction score
hey Tsujigiri..great thread, just wish it was longer! my brother is coming over from canada to visit me here in London..and he is after some new sunglasses. was thinking to take him to cutler and gross as a start, then onto some smaller optics stores (mallon and taub etc). just wanted to ask if you have an opinion on Moscot? he is after some simple, classic acetate sunglasses (nothing sporty)...

any other brand suggestions would be amazing! i know he has BP's (he likes the styling and they were quite understated - but saw your thoughts on the brand above).

thank you

AceK

Reaction score

papillo

Reaction score
My current collection. I need to prune this down..

Top L-R

1. Persol 649 (Tobacco Virginia)
2. Maui Jim Kahuna (brown)
3. Persol 3019-s
4. Persol 714SM (Steve McQueen- Black)
5. No id Brown glasses
6. D&G 6010
7. Versace Mod 4198
8. Ray Ban 3025
9. Maui Jim Kahuna (black)
10. Persol 714SM (Steve McQueen- Dark Havana)
11. Persol 714 (Terra di Siena)
12. Tom Ford- Harry (TF 192)
13. Polaroid Largo
14. Ray Ban 3460
15. Mosley Tribe Javelin S
16. Smith Aviatrix White
17. Mosley Tribe Pilot S
18. Ray Ban 2140 (Original Wayfayer)
19. Mosley Tribe Free CIty
20. Ray Ban 3025 (Aviators)
21. Ray Ban 3136 (Caravan)
22. Channel 5076-H
23. Prada (Linea Rossa) PS03OS
24. No id aviators

Tsujigiri

Reaction score

hey Tsujigiri..great thread, just wish it was longer! my brother is coming over from canada to visit me here in London..and he is after some new sunglasses. was thinking to take him to cutler and gross as a start, then onto some smaller optics stores (mallon and taub etc). just wanted to ask if you have an opinion on Moscot? he is after some simple, classic acetate sunglasses (nothing sporty)...

any other brand suggestions would be amazing! i know he has BP's (he likes the styling and they were quite understated - but saw your thoughts on the brand above).

thank you

Cutler and Gross is a great option, one of my favorite brands. They have a lot of subtle details others miss that make them very comfortable. Moscot is a New York brand, not English. I've avoided them along with Garrett Leight because they're made in China. I'm sure they make a decent product, but i couldn't find a compelling reason to go with them when their competitors offer products made in Italy or Japan for the same price. Other British brands include Oliver Goldsmith and the newcomer Larke, the latter of which is actually made in England. I have no experience with Larke, but if you do try them, please post your impressions here!

lovelux2010

Reaction score
great! will check out cutler and gross to start. will try to find some of the japenese brands mentioned, but stocklists seem somewhat hard to come by in London at lest..
i'll have a look at Larke, although i dont have the kind of expertise you do to make judgements on quality - i can only mention my opinion on the aesthetic..

also - not sure of the quality, but for the price (£100) i feel they are good value and they are quite simple ( and no visible logos). i have a pair of the sunglasses and use them when travelling so dont mind as much if i lose them..
http://www.baileynelson.co.uk/men/sunglasses.html

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Many thanks for the inspirations.

Especially like the looks of Masunaga and Matsuda. Where best to buy online (intl shipping) with a reliable returns/exchange policy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads