1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

A thought.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Sep 2, 2002.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

Join the club. It's Sunday morning at 8:00 am where I am; I haven't shaved or showered yet and I'm wearing a pair of Nike track-pants and a Hane's t-shirt. So, needless to say, I didn't wander over and post on the "What are you wearing today" thread. [​IMG]

John

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I don't like Canali suits generally, but that's because their silhouette is far too boxy for me, nothing to do with their price tag.

It's all relative: Canali is at the cheaper end of high-quality suits. But it's at the expensive end of all suits. Given the focus of this forum, we're naturally more interested in high-quality suits so Canali may occasionally be spoken of as a cheaper option. But the unspoken addendum is "cheaper than bespoke, Kiton or Brioni or whatever". It doesn't mean the writer thinks of Canali as cheap in absolute terms. It clearly isn't, because there are a huge range of cheaper suits below it.

Join the club. It's Sunday morning at 8:00 am where I am; I haven't shaved or showered yet and I'm wearing a pair of Nike track-pants and a Hane's t-shirt. So, needless to say, I didn't wander over and post on the "What are you wearing today" thread. [​IMG]

I just posted that I was wearing just a dressing gown in that thread... [​IMG]

3. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

I have one Canali suit and I like it. Contrary to the previous poster, it fits me very well and is slimming. It's a bit brighter than my usual suits - a plaid with a hint of orange to the brown/beige but not too much. I'm so cheap that I couldn't afford a Canali new, and I bought this off Ebay.

As an aside, advice to the poster with limited means: read a bit more on the fora and then go to the thrift shops or Ebay and buy used quality garments. Make sure that they fit you or at least can be cheaply altered (eg sleeves lengthened) - a fitting used/cheap suit will look far better than one costing ten times as much but doesn't fit. As someone else said, get a good pair of shoes avoiding the fashion forward if possible.

4. topbroker

topbroker Well-Known Member

What about the person who can take nothing and make it something. Could that be seen as style as well? Although a well educated person in clothing could know the difference, is it still possible? Being that I have no money to spend on articles like that (I am currently paying my own way through school, and even worse my location limits me from even seeing a store that carries these brands), I am curious to know if there is a way that I could walk into a room with everyone else wearing these suits, and myself not, and still *be looked at in the same way as someone wearing the higher quality item? I know how critical people can be, and I would like to know if it is that big a deal and if so if I need to start saving.

I was going to say, move to Appleton, Wisconsin, but since you are living in Kansas now you probably already get my point: There is no snobbery about menswear in small-city America, and no cadre of spiffed-out gentlemen who could tell (or care) what brands you are wearing. Therefore, it is certainly possible to "take nothing and make it something" in the heartlands. There are really only a handful of places in the United States (or the world) where you could possibly "walk into a room with everyone else wearing these suits." Avoid those places (except on visits): they are ultimately not good for your soul or your bank account.

5. topbroker

topbroker Well-Known Member

There really isn't a point in upping the ante. I mean, one could assert that $150 PDC jeans are entry level, that $330 Gucci styles are "midrange", and that only $600+ Yamamoto styles are truly "couture", but who would we be kidding?

But upping the ante is what it's all about. Practically every online forum I have ever checked out, whether it be about politics, sports, sex, cars, clothing, movies, music, beer, book collecting -- all utterly male-dominated, of course -- is ultimately, on close inspection, pretty much of a ******* contest. Alpha males and wannabe alpha males have always been into comparisons [​IMG] , but the ease and anonymity of the Internet fuel that tendency considerably. Many posts in many forums could really be boiled down to a single statement: "Dude, I'm more extreme than you are." (I spend more on it than you do, I own more of it than you do, I'm more into it than you are, my tastes are more pure and rarefied than yours are, my enthusiasms are more obscure than yours are, my knowledge is deeper than yours is, my commitment is more intense than yours is, etc., etc.)

It's a sign of the times.